Motor Mount Screws and how not to strip them

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L3phturn

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Notorious
I have a Notorious that I only got a couple of weeks ago. I am not happy with the mesh and I want to clean up the motor and the pinion and spur. One of the motor mount screws came loose easily but the outside one is in hard. I know they use too much loctite and I've seen many posts about stripping them. I don't want to do that.

So what is my best bet to get this out safetly? Soldering iron on the screw head to heat it up and then back it out carefully?

Also - why do they expose the spur gear with a hole through the bottom of the chassis? Sure it needs clearance but it seems silly to build it in a way that lets so much dirt and crap in on the spur gear and around the motor.

IMG_0821.jpeg

A pen torch would be ideal.. soldering iron will work I'm sure but it will take a bunch of time to heat that..

Hole in the chassis is to let debris out so it doesn't destroy the spur..?

The steel gears will chew up any rocks that come in. Don't worry.

It's a remnant from nitro days when you could use the gear to start the engine with an electric starter under the chassis. Also lowers centre of gravity (4-5mm may not seem like much but it adds up).

What did you cover it with? Doesn't it get torn off?
For the spur gear I used a small piece of galvanized steel, around 50mm x 20mmx 1mm and used epoxy for metals to glue it. Did the screw holes with the epoxy only. I used quit a bit to make sure it will last ? no wear so far.

4CA01A4F-9D1A-4413-9AA2-AD5EF8D067C7.jpeg

It's a remnant from nitro days when you could use the gear to start the engine with an electric starter under the chassis. Also lowers centre of gravity (4-5mm may not seem like much but it adds up).

Actually, nitro had another hole to bump start via the flywheel of the engine. Spinning the diff gear doesn't do anything as the clutch only engages with RPM's of the engine running. Pretty sure the hole under the spur was/is still there so the center diff can be placed as low as possible in the chassis for lowering the CG and to let debris get out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back