Kraton Motor (or esc) broke out of nowhere...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLikeRCs

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
About 3 Hours ago, I was driving my Arrma Kraton 6S Blx on 6S LiPo (temperature outside: about 10°C or 50°F), but suddenly, it stopped and the motor was kinda jammed up. I then took the body off and noticed a burnt smell.. Oh god...
I suspect that it overheated as the temperature outside was really low and I Drove like I do in summer.
Any clue on what made it break?
I'm gonna send arrma a warranty claim

Provided nothing in the driveline was bound up and it wasn't being run at full throttle all the time, I think it more likely that a coil could've delaminated and caused the rotor to bind up. It's doesn't happen often, but I've seen it before.

Provided nothing in the driveline was bound upand it wasn't being run at full throttle all the time, if think it more likely that a coil could've delaminated and caused the rotor to bind up. It's doesn't happen often, but I've seen it before.

hmmm, do you think this is covered by the 2 years warranty?

It should be if that is the case. Call horizon up and talk to them. They're easy to work with.

I have a feeling you haven't ran this in a while. If that's the case. I wouldn't doubt a motor bearing is a bit jammed up... happens with things that sit even for a short time unfortunately

It could’ve thrown a magnet. Happens many times, and it’s one of the most common ways a motor can have a catastrophic fail.

In my opinion it is extremly hard to break a motor i think maybe the bearings seized up at worst. I think your esc is toast if you went trought salt water ect it might have gave up. And yes any misshaps are covered under warranty just call horizonhobby and they will help you asap. I went trought 2 motors because of bearings in the 4s lane

In my opinion it is extremly hard to break a motor i think maybe the bearings seized up at worst. I think your esc is toast if you went trought salt water ect it might have gave up. And yes any misshaps are covered under warranty just call horizonhobby and they will help you asap. I went trought 2 motors because of bearings in the 4s lane
Very true, but that’s why one of the most common catastrophic failures is a thrown magnet, as it’s when there’s a manufacturer defect. The only way to avoid a failure like that is to not be unlucky- not how hard you are on the motor.

Take pinion off and roll it to make sure there isn’t something else bound up. Also turn each wheel while holding the opposite wheel while the car is up off its wheels to make sure your diffs are all free. Try and make sure it’s the motor and not something else. Call horizon and they will hook you up, they may want a picture of your receipt and if it happens to be the esc they may want it to look at.

I NEVER ran it in salt water or sand
Take pinion off and roll it to make sure there isn’t something else bound up. Also turn each wheel while holding the opposite wheel while the car is up off its wheels to make sure your diffs are all free. Try and make sure it’s the motor and not something else. Call horizon and they will hook you up, they may want a picture of your receipt and if it happens to be the esc they may want it to look at.
I took the motor out. It doesn't turn. Not even with extreme force.
I took the motor out. It doesn't turn. Not even with extreme force.
I have a feeling you haven't ran this in a while. If that's the case. I wouldn't doubt a motor bearing is a bit jammed up... happens with things that sit even for a short time unfortunately
Huh? I ran it 2 weeks ago, too!

It could’ve thrown a magnet. Happens many times, and it’s one of the most common ways a motor can have a catastrophic fail.
okay, I just wrote the shop I bought the kraton in that my motor was broken and asked if it is covered by warranty (It told me in the manual that I should contact the shop, not horizon hobby)

Should be covered under warranty. Give them a call. If not, check out Jennys RC for a cheap replacement.
okay, I just wrote the shop I bought the kraton in that my motor was broken and asked if it is covered by warranty (It told me in the manual that I should contact the shop, not horizon hobby)
Call Horizon if you want the fastest service if you live in the US. If you are outside the US, use the LHS.

Should be covered under warranty. Give them a call. If not, check out Jennys RC for a cheap replacement.

Call Horizon if you want the fastest service if you live in the US. If you are outside the US, use the LHS.
What is ''LHS''? I live in Austria (not Australia) btw

I didn't buy it in the local hobby shop, but in one 300km away from me. I just sent that shop a message.
That’s probably your only option other than just buying a new motor. ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back