Kraton Motor (or esc) broke out of nowhere...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just call horizon, either wait on hold or give them your number to call you back. No need to go to a hobby shop. It’s easy.

That’s probably your only option other than just buying a new motor. ??

This is the Answer i Got from the shop I bought it: (just threw it into google translator, some stuff is wrong.)

Do you have the possibility to exchange the motor for another one in order to be able to really narrow the defect down to the motor? Or did the burnt smell definitely come from the engine? On the subject of guarantee: There is no guarantee (firm promise of a service life) at ARRMA - and no other manufacturer in R / C model making. Every product sold in Germany is subject to a 24-month warranty, which does not mean that the said product has a service life of at least 24 months. If an product within the first 6 months to the buy can be can be can be can be can be. Is the product old or distinct as 6 months goes this chance against null. The reason for this is the so-called reversal of the burden of proof. This means that in the first 6 months after the purchase of the manufacturer, the customer has to prove that he broke the product (in this case the engine). That would be quite easy because certain components are burned out. From the first day after this 6-month period, the burden of proof rests with the buyer, i.e. You would have to prove to ARRMA / Horizonhobby that the engine has a fault on delivery that has now led to the presumable destruction of the engine. And that is probably impossible and therefore there is probably no chance of a warranty exchange in this case.

Should I try messaging Horizon Hobby Europe?
Just call horizon, either wait on hold or give them your number to call you back. No need to go to a hobby shop. It’s easy.
jondilly told me, that that only works in the USA

It could’ve thrown a magnet. Happens many times, and it’s one of the most common ways a motor can have a catastrophic fail.
In my opinion it is extremly hard to break a motor i think maybe the bearings seized up at worst. I think your esc is toast if you went trought salt water ect it might have gave up. And yes any misshaps are covered under warranty just call horizonhobby and they will help you asap. I went trought 2 motors because of bearings in the 4s lane

I just got the final message from horizon themselves: They said the warranty period is just 6 months in germany.
So I thought I'd just open it up.
Is this what you refer to as a thrown magnet?
Motor (1).jpg

the rest of the motor (everything but the rotor) seems fine, are the rotors aviable seperately??

Unfortunatly you cant get rotors seperatly. Your best bet would be to go to jennysrc.com and get a new motor for half of the price of a brand new one from arrma
Well that really sucks 6month of warranty
Did the bearing exploded? I did explode two bearings on 2 motors the rotors were a bit scratched but nothing more but the can i think was toast i saw wires in places that should not have wires i tested them a few days ago and... they work fine after remplacing the bearings but i wont risk burning my esc if they are shorted out

The kevlar only holds the magnets in place, you could 'in theory' repair it if there is no other damage. Makes little economical sense though.
Buy some kevlar wrap and rewind under tension and secure with superglue/thin CA.
Something like this:
https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Kevlar_Thread_Size_092
Fairly easy to wrap but haven't tried this myself and no idea if that is the right stuff but looks right.
Spool is ~ $20 with shipping plus work and risk blowing the SC vs new motor is ~50 shipped.

Consider doing it on mine but only as an experiment and curiosity. With time spend and risk I opted for a new motor.

Of course you can always use this as an excuse to upgrade to a new esc/motor combo. ;)

I just got the final message from horizon themselves: They said the warranty period is just 6 months in germany.
So I thought I'd just open it up.
Is this what you refer to as a thrown magnet?
View attachment 65324
the rest of the motor (everything but the rotor) seems fine, are the rotors aviable seperately??
Yup. Didn’t quite throw the whole section but it did lose a chunk. The centrifugal forces whip the magnets off of the rotor after the adhesive breaks down from too many high temperature runs. A lot of manufacturers Kevlar wrap the rotors but the Kevlar isn’t doing much, it’s mainly the adhesive.

The kevlar only holds the magnets in place, you could 'in theory' repair it if there is no other damage. Makes little economical sense though.
Buy some kevlar wrap and rewind under tension and secure with superglue/thin CA.
Something like this:
https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Kevlar_Thread_Size_092
Fairly easy to wrap but haven't tried this myself and no idea if that is the right stuff but looks right.
Spool is ~ $20 with shipping plus work and risk blowing the SC vs new motor is ~50 shipped.

Consider doing it on mine but only as an experiment and curiosity. With time spend and risk I opted for a new motor.

Of course you can always use this as an excuse to upgrade to a new esc/motor combo. ;)

One magnet is broken in half! Not just the Kevlar...
And I don't think I want to spend 200$/€ on a new combo, I was quite happy with the original BLX185 ESC and motor (except not being able to change the LVC voltage) and I'm gonna buy a new motor from Jenny's rc. Hope import taxes to Europe aren't too high...

Unfortunatly you cant get rotors seperatly. Your best bet would be to go to jennysrc.com and get a new motor for half of the price of a brand new one from arrma
Well that really sucks 6month of warranty
Did the bearing exploded? I did explode two bearings on 2 motors the rotors were a bit scratched but nothing more but the can i think was toast i saw wires in places that should not have wires i tested them a few days ago and... they work fine after remplacing the bearings but i wont risk burning my esc if they are shorted out

The bearings are absolutely fine.. At least I have spare bearings now lol

Before buying a new motor I'm giving Horizon Hobby a final chance to live up to the warranty statement. I will contact them and describe that the reason for the motor failure is a broken magnet. Let's see how it develops. I will keep you informed.

Okay, I've got some good news!! They said I should tell the Hobby Shop I bought it in that they wanted me to send it in. Then they would inspect it and if there is a broken magnet inside (which there is) They would replace it for me, although the warranty period is over already!

(still wondering why the warranty period is only 6 months, because it says 2 years right on the box but okay...)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back