Motor or ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBBD

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
We were running our 2014 Fury today when it started running slow. I changed the battery but it didn't get better. Eventually it just stopped.

I was thinking motor at first because it did get hot one time this summer. But after looking further I am thinking it could be the ESC.

There is no beep from the ESC when cycling the power, and when I pull the trigger on the transmitter the red light comes on but nothing happens. The steering does work has normal.

What do you guys think? We bought it in January of last year so I may make a claim. Given that may take awhile I might buy the parts and keep what arrma sends as a spare.

Or is this a time to upgrade to something else? It is my sons truck, so I want to stick with the stock Brushed NIMH setup.

Brushed Fury? I'd guess the motor is the issue.

ESC's tend to be all or nothing - they either work, or they don't. And if they don't, nothing works. Either BEC goes bad (RX gets no power, nothing works) or the FET's die. If the Fets go bad, often there is smoke - obvious to see.

Running slower and slower then stopping very much sounds like the motor has a burned winding. Sometimes you will get smoke from a motor, but often they just start to lose power, then (if you keep going) completely stop.

Thanks guys. I contacted arrma and am going to see what they say. I ordered a motor and ESC, it won't hurt to have spares around with another Fury "coming online" for my youngest son at Christmas time.

It was the motor. I had to get the truck back home before testing more. I put a voltmeter on the output of the ESC and got 8.2 Volts with a fresh battery and the trigger fully pulled.

To double check Arrma had me reverse channels 1 and 2 in the receiver and when I pulled the trigger the front wheels turned left and right. The rear wheels did nothing when I turned the wheel.

Hopefully those little troubleshooting steps can help another newbie!

Thanks guys. Arrma will send a new motor. I am going try out the Traxxas next time, but am ordering it in advance to keep as a spare along with the Arrma motor I already purchased (and should arrive today). I am not so sure a faster motor is a good idea for my son at this point. :)

Last edited:
I'm not impressed with the Arrma 15T brushed motor. I've read about, and experienced, how quickly they seize up. Lots of folks report good results with the Traxxas 12T. If you're getting the Fury for a kid, faster may not be better. A great reliable and uber cheap motor you could replace the Arrma 15T motor with would be a Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T motor. They come with many Tamiya kits which are immediately put up on eBay new out of the box because the builders upgrade. I have like 3 of them and would give you a deal if you're interested.

I'm not impressed with the Arrma 15T brushed motor. I've read about, and experienced, how quickly they seize up. Lots of folks report good results with the Traxxas 12T. If you're getting the Fury for a kid, faster may not be better. A great reliable and uber cheap motor you could replace the Arrma 15T motor with would be a Tamiya Torque Tuned 25T motor. They come with many Tamiya kits which are immediately put up on eBay new out of the box because the builders upgrade. I have like 3 of them and would give you a deal if you're interested.

Thanks. I sent you a message.

indeed the stock motor is of poor quality. I burned two of them.
And it happens mostly if you ar using a lipo battery instead of the stock nimh battery.
This because a lipo can supply much more ampere's to your esc/motor. Obviously too much for the 15T motor.

Indeed most Tamiya motors are a direct replacement.

The things is a good and fast brushed motor is as expensive, or even more expensive than a much, much and much more powerful brushless motor.

One "small" issue here...you need to buy a brushless ESc too in order to run a brushless motor.

But a brushless combo is worth every penny!

A new Torque Tuned motor sells on eBay for around $15. Even if a kid burns one up every 6 months that's not a huge investment. To convert a Mega over to a brushless system you're talking at least around $100 for a sensorless ESC+motor combo. Honestly, for a kid, I'd keep a Mega brushed, ditch the weaksauce Arrma 15T and go with a Torque Tuned or even basic "silver can" 540.

Another option for a cheap spare ESC - the HobbyKind 45a brushed ESC, for $12 -
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-x-car-45a-brushed-car-esc.html

I have one that I run a fair bit, and it is a pretty decent ESC considering it's price.

for brushed motors, the only ones I have run from this current generation are they Dynamite motors. They have had good lifespan for me, but I don't beat them hard.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. I am about a year into this, and stepping lightly as I learn. So, going outside Arrma parts was a stretch for me on the first real failure we experienced.

Also, these Fury's belong to my kids - an 8 year old and a 6 year old (he is getting a '16 Fury for Christmas). I always wanted a "real" RC as a kid, but we just couldn't afford it. We tried the department store toys and, well, you know how that goes.

So, I get a lot of joy and bonding time with the boys when we run, fix and maintain them while helping the kids learn about electronics, mechanics and maintenance.

I am sure upgrades are in the future, or if I buy one for myself . But these Fury's go about as fast with a brushed setup as I would want my kids to go right now.

Again, thanks for the input! Its good to know the options that are out there.

DBBD when dad is ready for his own R/C I'd suggest the Senton if you want to stay RTR Arrma but if you want to step up your game, look at Arrma's racing stablemate Team Durango and their DESC10. It's the "kissing cousin" to the Senton, in kit form, race spec and a serious SCT.

11.17.2016-16.38.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back