Kraton Motor overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaokrm

Reaction score
Hello guys, recently I purchased a Kraton V5 BLX and I'm currently using with a 6s lipo, stock gearing, but in 10 min of use (or less sometimes), the motor gets very very hot (like 100c+), I don't have any heatsink for the motor, it's complete stock. Should I worry about that?

If theres an option on Alliexpress or Ebay of a Heatsink with a fan for this motor. please let me know. Thanks guys.

100c is way too hot. 60-70c is about max I would go. Heatsink and fans is greatly recommended and there should be plenty options on both Ali and eBay. Another thing I would recommend is setting timing in the esc to 15 degree, that will also help with running cooler.

Also another big thing, pull the motor out and see if you feel any binding when rolling the car back and forth.

First things first. Grab a temp gun and see what the temps are. If you are running over 170f then you will need to do something to bring down the temps. There are many good fan heatsink combos out there. Even the Arrma one works well with a high speed fan. Running in the 120-130f range is very normal and would feel very hot to the touch. 100c is way too hot.

I feel a lot of binding when my car ir turned off and I try to move it, and How can I set the timming is ESC? theres a video explaining?
You can either do it via the remote and beep codes (instructions on how to do this are in the manual) or by using one of these.
1668021993147.png

Hello guys, recently I purchased a Kraton V5 BLX and I'm currently using with a 6s lipo, stock gearing, but in 10 min of use (or less sometimes), the motor gets very very hot (like 100c+), I don't have any heatsink for the motor, it's complete stock. Should I worry about that?

If theres an option on Alliexpress or Ebay of a Heatsink with a fan for this motor. please let me know. Thanks guys.
Lower the timing. Spektrum sets it up to high from factory.

Yes... I stay below 170F for the motor you do want a fan.

If the motor is smooth like the Firma 2050kv then get a heatsink that mounts a fan. If the motor has ridges then all you need is a clamp that can blow air directly on the fan without the heatsink.

1668022150827.png

I run this fan and before used 40mm tall fans that needed a 3S small lipo. Not anymore:
https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/p...l-40mm-high-speed-rc-fan-8-volt-plug-and-play

If you have a motor with ridges use this to hold the fan
https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/p...-brushless-motor-fan-bracket-for-40-x-40-fans

These small 40mm are good....NOT good enough for me in the hot south so I had to replace it with above....temps are good now
1668022466922.png

I feel a lot of binding when my car ir turned off and I try to move it
Let's come back to this part since it could be crucial.

Can you share more details? Have you tried removing the pinion to see if the car rolls smoothly when disconnected from the motor?

>>>>

@joaokrm

All Firma motor timing is too high... 15deg is a nice spot to play for all my bashers. I have one that I left the timing at 22deg, but it only runs 4S and has great cooling fans I only did that to get more road speed since timing can do that without upping the pinion.

Bashers FWIW 15deg is perfect!

Last edited:
It's plun n plag on espektrun arrma kraton 6s v5 kratron? then on I only need to connect the fans the servo connector on the ESC that is don' using for nothing at the moment?

anothet question, lowiering the timing doesn't affet the performance?
It does to a limited extent. Timing advance on a motor creates a little bit more performance (we're talking pebbles and not boulders) but it also creates more heat.

anothet question, lowiering the timing doesn't affet the performance?

Yes, to an extent, you increase torque.. it's a performance gain for those not speed running.. your temps will also come down some.. so sounds like a win, win for you..đź‘Ť

Lowering timing, heatsink and high speed fan solved my similar woes, although with the caveat that fans have a high failure rate while bashing and need to be replaced often. Going from 22.5° advanced to 15° advanced didn't have a noticeable impact on performance, but in theory you'll change the torque vs RPM curve, likely shifting it toward the low end.

I still don't' understant how to change the the timing in ESC, cac nomeople explain me better?

Aso. I'ts plug'nplay for kraton 6s? and I only need use the servo connector from the ESC for the fams?
@swarls already posted a video up there that details how it's done. If that's not understandable, I don't see how typing it all out is going to help. If having it in writing is helpful, then I'd recommend consulting your manual as it is all documented in there. Just to be clear, I'm not trying to be a Richard. I just don't see how typing it out here would help you more than the manual. That video does a great job of taking you through the process step by step.

As for the fans...yes, you can use the servo connector that's hanging off of the ESC.

Edit: How do posts just disappear like that?

Last edited:
I still don't' understant how to change the the timing in ESC, cac nomeople explain me better?

I bought this one. Hope it fits on my Kraont v5 blx

If the video posted above doesn’t work for you, here is a pic of the manual for Outcast 6s EXB and Talion 6s EXB. Hope they are similar to your truck and this helps!

EAA78EC0-15BB-480D-82A5-B3B886347437.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back