Kraton Motor overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I god my ESC calibratec. I all did was select number 8 option (motor timing) and select 15 degrees, then I keep the ESC calibration button tight until I head a long beep. Is that right?

Last edited:
First things first. Grab a temp gun and see what the temps are. If you are running over 170f then you will need to do something to bring down the temps. There are many good fan heatsink combos out there. Even the Arrma one works well with a high speed fan. Running in the 120-130f range is very normal and would feel very hot to the touch. 100c is way too hot.
+!
Simply a Fan or even 2 mounted to a Fan Mount alone will be better than using a HS for mounting. A motor's Can is a heat sink already by its design.
I found better cooling results with Fan(s) blowing directly at the motor. Good quality High CFM fans. (40 x40mm minimum)
But need a Temp gun to assess what's really going on. Touching the motor is not a good way to judge temps at all. Temp guns are cheap and a necessity for any RC tool box.
I like my motors to be around 150F or less. Measured externally. Internal temps are always higher. And they can shoot up to 200+F. No good for the armature. Then the armature will explode and the motor can lock up. Motor is then bricked. Most armatures are only rated to aprox 200F before they come apart/unwrap. And Internal temps will always be higher.
Also, always maintain the motor. Cleaning it out with electrical spray and Lube the BB's with a synthetic oil. A failing motor can also run hotter than normal. I would look over the motor well in addition to adding Fan(s). And without using any HS.
It is common to replace the Motor's BB's. If you catch them in time. I always go with Ceramic motor BB's when its time to replace them. They handle Heat better. But still need the same maintenance as regular Chromium BB's do.
BLX motors should last for years and years this way.

Last edited:
Another newbier quesiton! I order a heatsink for the engine with 2 fans, I need to hook those fans to the loose hire in the wire on ESC?

Last edited:
+!
Simply a Fan or even 2 mounted to a Fan Mount alone will be better than using a HS for mounting. A motor's Can is a heat sink already by its design.
I found better cooling results with Fan(s) blowing directly at the motor. Good quality High CFM fans. (40 x40mm minimum)
But need a Temp gun to assess what's really going on. Touching the motor is not a good way to judge temps at all. Temp guns are cheap and a necessity for any RC tool box.
I like my motors to be around 150F or less. Measured externally. Internal temps are always higher. And they can shoot up to 200+F. No good for the armature. Then the armature will explode and the motor can lock up. Motor is then bricked. Most armatures are only rated to aprox 200F before they come apart/unwrap. And Internal temps will always be higher.
Also, always maintain the motor. Cleaning it out with electrical spray and Lube the BB's with a synthetic oil. A failing motor can also run hotter than normal. I would look over the motor well in addition to adding Fan(s). And without using any HS.
It is common to replace the Motor's BB's. If you catch them in time. I always go with Ceramic motor BB's when its time to replace them. They handle Heat better. But still need the same maintenance as regular Chromium BB's do.
BLX motors should last for years and years this way.
But quald should I dot? My Kraton is brand new

Can't hurt to open your motor and look it over. If anything for the experience. All part of RC maintenance. Learn about it. And always lube the BB's once you open the motor at the very least if anything. For the Preventive maintenance.
I now always dissect my new RTR rigs out the box. Motor, differentials and all. From experience with my past NIB rigs

Another newbier quesiton! I order a heatsink for the engine with 2 fans, I need to hook those fans to the loose hire in the wire on ESC?
Connect it wherever you have a connection. From the ESC can use JST splitters or from the receiver. All get the same power so does not matter which as long as it's a good connection and wires are secured not to get cut or broken.

Another newbies question: I bought these heatisings:

JST Splitters from ESC shoud be able to handle these 2 fans, righ? And how I secure the heatsink? Sorry for many questions guys

Sem título.png

Another newbies question: I bought these heatisings:

JST Splitters from ESC shoud be able to handle these 2 fans, righ? And how I secure the heatsink? Sorry for many questions guys

View attachment 255530

Yes...they can no issues at all.

If you could see some of my rigs....fans with JST connections using splitters, lights front and rear, roof, etc, etc. Splitters are fine. I'd always advise keeping it clean and thinking it out, esp when you add more stuff like lights, for example, to keep it all clean and simplified.

Enjoy!

@joaokrm, that HS fan combo just clips onto the motor. Supposed to stay put with tension in theory. As long as the Motor diameter is a good match. In a perfect world.
Not the best setup out there.
But its a start in the right direction. (y)
Something is better than nothing. :cool:

@joaokrm, that HS fan combo just clips onto the motor. Supposed to stay put with tension in theory. As long as the Motor diameter is a good match. In a perfect world.
Ok! thanks!

And whats motor timing? I reduced to 15%. should I worry with overheating even without heatsing now?

I am very conservative with timing and usually turn it down all the way and bump my self up a bit watching temps with a temp gun. More advanced Timing does create more RPM's while raising temps.. But at some point more timing advance brings no advantage. Just more heat and loss of torque.
How I do it.
Adequate Cooling solution is a given.
Many others are full blown with their ESC timing. Same with their ESC Punch/Power level.
Careful.
I also drop my punch down a bit from default. My run times are longer and the rig is easier to drive. While running cooler in many cases.
I couldn't tell you what is the exact best setting, This is subjective. Trial and error. What works for me may not work for you.
We all drive differently with different rigs on different terrain.

Last edited:
Ok! thanks!

And whats motor timing? I reduced to 15%. should I worry with overheating even without heatsing now?
Timing or motor timing is all the same. So if you set to 15deg compared to 22.5 a good place to start.

Yes, you can still overheat it a fan is needed even at 15deg timing. Dropping the time does not mean omitting the fan. The motor is going to get hot, regardless. Bashing, dirt, hot season, a fan is a good thing to have.

Can you link me the best setup from aliexpress for the stock motor kraton v5 6s?
I am very conservative with timing and usually turn it down all the way and bump my self up a bit watching temps with a temp gun. More advanced Timing does create more RPM's while raising temps.. But at some point more timing advance brings no advantage. Just more heat and loss of torque.
How I do it.
Adequate Cooling solution is a given.
Many others are full blown with their ESC timing. Same with their ESC Punch/Power level.
Careful.
I also drop my punch down a bit from default. My run times are longer and the rig is easier to drive. While running cooler in many cases.
I couldn't tell you what is the exact best setting, This is subjective. Trial and error. What works for me may not work for you.
We all drive differently with different rigs on different terrain.
What punch does to the motor?

Can you link me the best setup from aliexpress for the stock motor kraton v5 6s?

What punch does to the motor?
I cannot find it again guy did a test on each punch setting to demo...

In my words, and could be wrong, punch is how much power to you want to send when you slam that trigger... less punch takeoff is not so aggressive. Max punch will be aggressive, and the right rig setup can do a standing backflip.

Motor is sttill overheating guys.. Hard use, but I supossed it's not to be in that temperature.. (motor timing already set to 15 degrees.. I think)

View attachment 255718

View attachment 255719
Yikes, that's hot. You're veering dangerously close to magnet damage territory. There's really no two ways about it. You need fans on that thing.

Yikes, that's hot. You're veering dangerously close to magnet damage territory. There's really no two ways about it. You need fans on that thing.
I'm with bad luck or something? Because I've been poeple been playing with k6 with no heatsink or whatever without overherheating :(

I'm with bad luck or something? Because I've been poeple been playing with k6 with no heatsink or whatever without overherheating :(
Hard to say without knowing more about the vehicles. Are they running the same gearing? One other thing I just noticed from the pics, is the batteries appear to be well used. The reason I bring this up...low quality or old batteries can suffer from high internal resistance which will cause the voltage of the batteries to drop precipitously under load which, in turn, will drive up current. And more current will, invariably, create more heat. What I'm saying is, there may be more factors in play here than just this Kraton vs. that Kraton.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back