Kraton Motor overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to say without knowing more about the vehicles. Are they running the same gearing? One other thing I just noticed from the pics, is the batteries appear to be well used. The reason I bring this up...low quality or old batteries can suffer from high internal resistance which will cause the voltage of the batteries to drop precipitously under load which, in turn, will drive up current. And more current will, invariably, create more heat. What I'm saying is, there may be more factors in play here than just this Kraton vs. that Kraton.
It's a brand new 6S 60C battery! I bought it with the car!! My car/battery has 3 runs in total! Stock gearing, like factory. Just I try the high speed gearing?

It's a brand new 6S 60C battery! I bought it with the car!! My car/battery has 3 runs in total! Stock gearing, like factory. Just I try the high speed gearing?
Ok.

The high speed gearing is only going to create even more heat so, don't do that. I don't know what else to tell you. As, I think, someone has already suggested, perhaps there's something binding in the drivetrain somewhere that is causing excess resistance. Hard to say from here. I think you need a fan. But if you have someone you run with whose Kraton doesn't overheat then maybe sit down, take your time, and try to figure out what is different about the two vehicles. Check all components, rolling resistance and anything else you can think of. See if they'd be willing to swap components with you to try to isolate which one might be the cause of the issue. That's the best I got. Maybe someone else has some other ideas for you to try.

I'm with bad luck or something? Because I've been poeple been playing with k6 with no heatsink or whatever without overherheating :(

As he said there are a lot of factors when running an RC with no fan....pinion, motor, weight, tires, etc.

Timing alone will not fix your issue posted earlier...15deg is fine but not the total solution. You WILL need a fan and a good one. I really go for the taller 40mm fans over to low profile in my case only the taller 40mm fans gave me enough air.

Until then, if you run it give it some time to cool off... way too hot...internally its hotter than the outside.

Motor is sttill overheating guys.. Hard use, but I supossed it's not to be in that temperature.. (motor timing already set to 15 degrees.. I think)

View attachment 255718

View attachment 255719

From what I see is you're running in thick grass.. That can be a cause for more rolling resistance..
Try driving your rig on packed dirt or an more "smoother" area ,like a soccer field.

From what I see is you're running in thick grass.. That can be a cause for more rolling resistance..
Try driving your rig on packed dirt or an more "smoother" area ,like a soccer field.
In any terrain I get overheating issues :( I'm starting to thinking to going to 4S

What's the limit temp of the stock motor?

In any terrain I get overheating issues :( I'm starting to thinking to going to 4S

I'm working on something that will help solve your motor heating problems.
Give me till later this weekend to show you what I've got cooking..

You're already at the temp limit of most any motor. You really don't want to go over 100°C/212°F as this is where you start running the risk of damaging the permanent magnets in the rotor, ideally you want to keep it under 80°C/176°F. As someone already pointed out, take into consideration that the motor temperature is higher in the core than it is on the surface.

You're already at the temp limit of most any motor. You really don't want to go over 100°C/212°F as this is where you start running the risk of damaging the permanent magnets in the rotor, ideally you want to keep it under 80°C/176°F. As someone already pointed out, take into consideration that the motor temperature is higher in the core than it is on the surface.
Do sensored motor temp sensors accurately capture the temp in the core?

Okay, where would you recommend setting your motor temp cutoff for bashing?
While I don't bash, I'd set the temp cutoff the same regardless of what I'm doing with the car. I typically set mine for 180-190°F. I want to make sure I remain under critical temperatures because, I think it stands to reason that, even if the system is shut down due to temperature, chances are that it will rise a few more degrees after shutdown. I monitor my motor temps on my transmitter and I'll turn on my fans when it goes over 60-65°C/140-150°F.

While I don't bash, I'd set the temp cutoff the same regardless of what I'm doing with the car. I typically set mine for 180-190°F. I want to make sure I remain under critical temperatures because, I think it stands to reason that, even if the system is shut down due to temperature, chances are that it will rise a few more degrees after shutdown. I monitor my motor temps on my transmitter and I'll turn on my fans when it goes over 60-65°C/140-150°F.
Thanks. So you have your fans wired up to an aux signal? How do you view motor temps on your transmitter?

Thanks. So you have your fans wired up to an aux signal? How do you view motor temps on your transmitter?
No, I have them connected to the balance lead of one of my main packs with a simple switch to turn them on and off. I'm using a Futaba 7PXR and a Futaba SBS-01TE temp sensor.
1668202977126.jpeg

GUys, I I only took off the car off the box and go fo a ride. I didn't anithing! If theres a setup to onfig, please let me know! My car is brand new!

GUys, I I only took off the car off the box and go fo a ride. I didn't anithing! If theres a setup to onfig, please let me know! My car is brand new!
We've been telling you what can do or try out. If you don't want to take the advice ok, but I don't know what else to tell you.

We've been telling you what can do or try out. If you don't want to take the advice ok, but I don't know what else to tell you.
What advice my firend? I tried EVERY ONCE. I think I will put a hetskink on thos this engine and call it a day.

Need a fan solution. Without question. I also use 4s on occasion. But 6s should work and run fairly cool with a stock pinion. The speed pinion is only for pavement and need cool downs on occassion, even with most fan setups and the 2050 kv motor.
Get a temp gun if you don't't have one. You won't know for sure what hot is. Let us know what it is.
Personnally 150+F measured externally is hot for me.
And some don't mind 160F. the max.
I think you got this now.

What advice my firend? I tried EVERY ONCE. I think I will put a hetskink on thos this engine and call it a day.
Ok. Do what you think is right.

I'm not going to go back through the last three pages of posts. That's for you to filter out. Much advice has been given by others and I've given what advice I can.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back