Motor Pinion Came off Again, what am I missing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
This is for my Fireteam but would be no different if it were my KEXB 6S on this ask.

I never ran the stock 12T pinion. One the first run and beyond, I purchased the Tekno 12T pinion with the M5 bore. I did the same for my KEXB since the 20T pinion would back off but has not since I went with the Tekno for the KEXB. Think I read someone else had this issue so I went with the better bore off the bat.

New stock motor so clean shaft. I also cleaned the Tekno 12P set screw with CRC electronic cleaner I've used for years to clear screws before adding loctite. I used 243 threadlocker and I added I good about enough I had to clean the bore hole around the screw once it was screwed down. I do not understand why it backed off with this upgraded pinion???

Only negative I have with the mesh the motor mount slider is pushed over as far as it can go. I have more room between my spur gear mesh or tick sound. I would like for it to be a little closer. More rock in it between gears than I would do. However, it has bashed fine no issues until I noticed wiping clean the motor mount I moved the pinion on the shaft.

Any suggestions? Thx

1658780317650.png

You may need New grub screw and use blue loctite then let it sit for a day.

Make sure you line the pinion up with the flat spot on the shaft

Weird.. maybe your TL is no good!? Not sure how it would of backed out!! 😡

Does the shaft have a flat? If so, and you don't have it right at 90° to the grub screw it can certainly cause this. Seems remedial but figured it was worth mentioning.
Thx for the replies.

I am sure I hit the flat spot, and it was 243 blue loctite. I did the same process on my KEXB. I will clean it all over again and try one more time. The set screw is new that came with it has no issues looks good.

Let me dance with it again.

New stock motor so clean shaft. I also cleaned the Tekno 12P set screw with CRC electronic cleaner I've used for years to clear screws before adding loctite. I used 243 threadlocker and I added I good about enough I had to clean the bore hole around the screw once it was screwed down. I do not understand why it backed off with this upgraded pinion???

So you cleaned the motor shaft and the set screw - did you also clean the threads of the pinion itself?

Loctite Blue cures in an anaerobic environment - did you get the grub screw tight and allow 24 hours for the loctite to cure? Did you shake the bottle thoroughly before use?

Those would be my thoughts/questions on why it failed.

Use 1/1 CAR BRAKE CLEANER ONLY for screws, and motorshaft

Electrospray CRC is only for cleaning elektronics, not pinions and screws .

You do like this
Buy Brake Cleaner at gas station or what so ever
Clean with this the motor shaft, the pinion inside and screw hole, then also the crubscrew.
Buy also new Red Locktite.
One drop red at motor shaft, one drop in pinion screwhole or the crubscrew
install

let it sit 24hours

go out drive and have fun. You will never loose your pinion ever if you do EXACTLY as i told.
1 Brake Cleaner
2 Buy brand new Red Locktite from another company , so you don't get that bad BATCH maybe again.
= You will be safe this way.

And yeah Correct gearmesh google video. also LET IT SIT 24h so it is 100% dry
Lock tite takes Long time cure totally.

In future you need use heat to be able take of that pinion, soldering iron works great

61881f4b-d22e-4f4f-99e0-57f2e5dd1d3a_1.0f9213d2e4dac1b814442f65c3fd3968.jpeg

loctite-specialty-adhesive-209741-64_1000.jpg

don't mind that 10minutes. Have it atleast over NIGHT dry .............**** Instal day 1, drive car day 2**** 100% secure

When tightening the grub screws, i like to twist the pinion side to side lightly as I slowly turn the grub screw. If you turn the grub screw slowly enough, it should prevent sticking at an angle. I feel like that allows the pinion to keep finding a truer square with the flat on the motor shaft.

Worst case, find where the grub screw contacts the motor shaft and drill a small indent. That will assist giving the screw more bite and help prevent slip off. Never done that before, but had it recommended to me a few times.

Like @rccar4life mentioned put the threadlock in the hole in the pinion not on the grub screw. I only use blue on my pinions and have only ever had 1 come off while bashing and I'm pretty sure that was because the motor was over 250*

You all are great...good feedback!!!!

So you cleaned the motor shaft and the set screw - did you also clean the threads of the pinion itself?

Loctite Blue cures in an anaerobic environment - did you get the grub screw tight and allow 24 hours for the loctite to cure? Did you shake the bottle thoroughly before use?

Those would be my thoughts/questions on why it failed.

Thx...I could have missed that shake (y)

You do like this
Buy Brake Cleaner at gas station or what so ever
Clean with this the motor shaft, the pinion inside and screw hole, then also the crubscrew.
Buy also new Red Locktite.
One drop red at motor shaft, one drop in pinion screwhole or the crubscrew
install

let it sit 24hours

go out drive and have fun. You will never loose your pinion ever if you do EXACTLY as i told.
1 Brake Cleaner
2 Buy brand new Red Locktite from another company , so you don't get that bad BATCH maybe again.
= You will be safe this way.

And yeah Correct gearmesh google video. also LET IT SIT 24h so it is 100% dry
Lock tite takes Long time cure totally.

In future you need use heat to be able take of that pinion, soldering iron works great

61881f4b-d22e-4f4f-99e0-57f2e5dd1d3a_1.0f9213d2e4dac1b814442f65c3fd3968.jpeg

loctite-specialty-adhesive-209741-64_1000.jpg

don't mind that 10minutes. Have it atleast over NIGHT dry .............**** Instal day 1, drive car day 2**** 100% secure

Have that exact can in the garage when I work on the car. Got ya!!! (y) Thx

When tightening the grub screws, i like to twist the pinion side to side lightly as I slowly turn the grub screw. If you turn the grub screw slowly enough, it should prevent sticking at an angle. I feel like that allows the pinion to keep finding a truer square with the flat on the motor shaft.

Worst case, find where the grub screw contacts the motor shaft and drill a small indent. That will assist giving the screw more bite and help prevent slip off. Never done that before, but had it recommended to me a few times.

Good call as well.....I full I may have turned it fast to get it in so it would not turn. (y) Thx will do.

Like @rccar4life mentioned put the threadlock in the hole in the pinion not on the grub screw. I only use blue on my pinions and have only ever had 1 come off while bashing and I'm pretty sure that was because the motor was over 250*

See, I've never tried it that way! Thx (y)

i do only use blue self actually, never any issue.

In this case maybe red will be better for him

You all are great...good feedback!!!!

Thx...I could have missed that shake (y)

Have that exact can in the garage when I work on the car. Got ya!!! (y) Thx

Good call as well.....I full I may have turned it fast to get it in so it would not turn. (y) Thx will do.

See, I've never tried it that way! Thx (y)

Actually any time you have a blind hole you should put the thread lock in the hole instead of on the screw.

CRC electronic cleaner will work fine for degreasing parts in preparation for threadlocker. The solvent component is made up of aliphatic hydrocarbons in the light naphtha range, same as many non-chlorinated brake cleaners. It's basically the same product with a different label, smaller can and higher price. You don't need the higher solvency of chlorinated (perchloroethylene) brake cleaner here either.

Actually any time you have a blind hole you should put the thread lock in the hole instead of on the screw.

Too few people know this and wonder why their screws still fall out even when the think they've correctly applied it to the male threads.

Wow! I really learned something on this one, thanks. A senior and years of using TL, I never knew this, and I use TL so much more with RCs, and I see my error now with this video! Thx!!
Too few people know this and wonder why their screws still fall out even when the think they've correctly applied it to the male threads.

That's the gospel truth and I am one!

Wow! I really learned something on this one, thanks. A senior and years of using TL, I never knew this, and I use TL so much more with RCs, and I see my error now with this video! Thx!!

That's the gospel truth and I am one!

I just learned this recently as well. I was going to post it then forgot about it until this thread.

These helped me a lot. Flat tip, 5mm 12.9 steel grubs. Normal grubs are cup tip with less connection to the motor shaft.

60Pcs M4x5mm Grub Screws Flat Point Socket Set Screws High Tensile 12.9 Grade Steel Black Oxide (60Pcs, M4x5mm) https://a.co/d/ipctv9P

F64A5150-8734-4174-80A9-9BDB32C01FFE.png

These helped me a lot. Flat tip, 5mm 12.9 steel grubs. Normal grubs are cup tip with less connection to the motor shaft.

60Pcs M4x5mm Grub Screws Flat Point Socket Set Screws High Tensile 12.9 Grade Steel Black Oxide (60Pcs, M4x5mm) https://a.co/d/ipctv9P

View attachment 232324

Hey Boss question on these

The shaft is long, so how do you use them with your pinion if the set screw is this long? With the FireTeam the set screw is pushed down to the end of the motor shaft, so it is under or within the motor mount bracket. It would not make a full turn being this tall unless I see this wrong :)

Thx

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back