Kraton Motor question for the Kraton 6S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platzbock

Reaction score
Hey,
im new to this forum but i need some help.
Searching for 2 days now but cant really find the answer im looking for.

So i have a Max6 in my kraton and decided to now upgrade my motor.

I was looking at either the Castle 1717 1650Kv or 1260Kv
Or the Hobbywing 4985SL 1650 and the Firma Spektrum 1250Kv

The first question now is should i go with lower kv and high gearing or high kv lower gearing in regards to temps
Obviously i wanna reach a fixed speed of around 70mph

Im gonna run on 8s, so obviously i already upgraded drife shafts and diffs

On thing that is confusing me is this statement on the Castle website
NOTE: The 1717-1260kv has a lower wattage/power rating compared to the 1717-1650kv; as such the 1260kv will run hotter than the 1650kv when geared for the same speed. For higher power applications (IE speed and drag setup), the 1717-1650kv is preferred with appropriate gearing.

Like shouldnt it either make no difference in regards to temps or the 1250/1260 running cooler for bashing because of the torque difference; obviously gearing for the same speed.
And in that scenario the 1650s would run cooler when speedrunning or what am i not understanding here

Thanks in advance^^

For 8s if your running for 15+ minutes straight i would think you should keep the kv lower under the 1100kv area at most. I run my kraton 1/8 exb with the max 6, 4985, 1650kv combo on 6s and it bashes great and runs decent temps, (no thermal shut down or hot feeling) that’s with a 46tooth spur and a 18tooth Pinion and just bashing around grass and pavement

I’d finish pairing with the hw 1650 n keep 6s, I don’t believe the 1650 from hw does 8s but the 1717 will.

1260kv will need some good gearing being lower but 8s is do able

Last edited:
I’d finishing pairing with the hw 1650 n keep 6s, I don’t believe the 1650 from hw does 8s but the 1717 will.

1260kv will need some good gearing being lower but 8s is do able
I agree with you and think he should pick the hw 1650 and stick with 6s.

If you want to run that max 6 combo on 8s, will have to upgrade motor bearings or risk ruining the motor. Probably should have got a castle combo if 8s was important from the start imo. The hobbywing combo on 6s is already beast enough though tbh. Put a 20-22t pinion on their and it will be silly powerful on 6s.

And running a castle 1717 1650 with a hobbywing max 6 seems silly to me for some reason. If you really want 8s I'd consider selling the max 6 and buying a castle 1717 1650 mmx8s combo instead.

Thanks for all the replies and tipps
I think im gonna go with the hw 1650, test that thing on 6s and see what its like^^

Edit: Any recommendations on center diff fluid. Read something about with this power the motor will heat up pretty quick because the front tires are getting all the power on a wheelie and the motor revs up to fast

I'd say if you're dead set on running 8s, go with the 4985 1250kv and gear accordingly.
If staying 6s, get a TP Power 4070 series motor and enjoy face-melting power.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back