Granite Motor recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfbitten83

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega
PXL_20230524_230729316.MOTION-01.COVER.jpg

I bought an armma granite 4x4 and I have done a few upgrades starting with the motor. I have both a spectrum 4,000 KV and a spectrum 3300 KV motor with a spectrum 85 amp esc, currently running on 2S, 80 weight oil in the front shocks, 60 weight oil in the rear shocks, 21 tooth pinion 91 tooth spur both metal and working on all metal differentials.... I want to change to the 51 tooth spur. I need advice from people that have more experience. I want to make it faster but still maintain torque for air control and better wheelies. I do a lot of bashing! I currently get between 32 and 37 mph, I'd like to get up towards the 50 of the blx or faster! Any advice?
I did have to eliminate my slipper clutch so I just JB welded it together and it works fantastic

Last edited:
Yeah locking out the that slipper, will require metal Fr and Rr Steel diff gears at some point.
For more speed, I would jump to 3 packs and see what you get.
Before investing in much more, aside from 3s pack, I would go up to a 120 amp ESC first.
Before going with a smaller spur. I think 85 amps won't cut it with any more smaller Spur gear.

Yeah locking out the that slipper, will require metal Fr and Rr Steel diff gears at some point.
For more speed, I would jump to 3 packs and see what you get.
Before investing in much more, aside from 3s pack, I would go up to a 120 amp ESC first.
Before going with a smaller spur. I think 85 amps won't cut it with any more smaller Spur gear.
It hadn't crossed my mind that my ESC may not be able to handle going to smaller spur gear thank you! I'll have to look more into how gearing effects the ESC

Yeah a smaller Spur will suck the amps fast, at some point. :rolleyes:
Especially with a "Locked Slipper".
I would try a 3s pack first. Would go that direction. Checking ESC and motor temps with a Temp gun in hand. Then possibly gear up a Pinion's Tooth at a time, to get highest acheiveable speeds. Just watch your temps. Cool downs may be needed for very high speed passes. Fans are a given.
Well beyond 50+ mph, Belted tires will keep it better planted. Ballooning tires at those speeds makes it very uncontrollable.

Last edited:
I will definitely try that out first! Seems like easy. Logical way to go. I do have a hot racing fan over the motor and my spektrum ESC came with one

Where to start? Get rid of the 91 tooth spur. 2S might be fine. But, you'll never get near the BLX speed. And 3S destroys it. I and my son tried different combos and were dissapointed. He's still trying. I gave up. Just get the 3S BLX power module and the 57T 0.8 mod slipper clutch. 19T pinion. On 3S will almost double your speed. And much more reliable.

The stock 3S BLX comes with a 3200 KV motor and a 100A ESC. You'll need to upgrade the ESC to give either motor what they really want. If you starve the motor of the amps it needs, it will run hot and burn up prematurely. I've been over amping the ESC's. It allows me to gear up a bit and still keep the temps in the safe zone.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Just being honest and trying to help.

Where to start? Get rid of the 91 tooth spur. 2S might be fine. But, you'll never get near the BLX speed. And 3S destroys it. I and my son tried different combos and were dissapointed. He's still trying. I gave up. Just get the 3S BLX power module and the 57T 0.8 mod slipper clutch. 19T pinion. On 3S will almost double your speed. And much more reliable.

The stock 3S BLX comes with a 3200 KV motor and a 100A ESC. You'll need to upgrade the ESC to give either motor what they really want. If you starve the motor of the amps it needs, it will run hot and burn up prematurely. I've been over amping the ESC's. It allows me to gear up a bit and still keep the temps in the safe zone.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Just being honest and trying to help.
I appreciate any and all opinions and advice. It gives me more options to choose what I like and what I don't think works for me. so I really appreciate it! I do want to get rid of the 91 tooth. Pinion, first off, I don't think the teeth are aggressive enough to put enough power through it.. I do have a question though. If you're over amping your ESC, is the ESC staying cool or the motor or both?

I appreciate any and all opinions and advice. It gives me more options to choose what I like and what I don't think works for me. so I really appreciate it! I do want to get rid of the 91 tooth. Pinion, first off, I don't think the teeth are aggressive enough to put enough power through it.. I do have a question though. If you're over amping your ESC, is the ESC staying cool or the motor or both?
Both!

I have a 120A ESC in my granite, and 17T pinion, with 3200kv motor, and its really not hot at all. Running 3s. It's plenty fast enough on stock tires, tough to control in high speeds on them. Did try 4S on it once, and that was just stupid fast and crazy. On 3s, when I get to decent speed, and FT, it stays on all four, but on 4S it wheelies at high speed 🤣 and cartwheels and breaks ....

I have a 120A ESC in my granite, and 17T pinion, with 3200kv motor, and its really not hot at all. Running 3s. It's plenty fast enough on stock tires, tough to control in high speeds on them. Did try 4S on it once, and that was just stupid fast and crazy. On 3s, when I get to decent speed, and FT, it stays on all four, but on 4S it wheelies at high speed 🤣 and cartwheels and breaks ....
Right on! So it looks like I need a better ESC and 3s🤔😁

Myself I would pick up an Arrma BLX100 ESC from Jenny RC, change the gearing to 57/15 and run the 3300KV motor on 3S.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back