Motor settings and configuration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
Because I couldn't find a topic AND because I wanted to check out the new question-feature here's my question:

Are there any rules for the way to connect a motor?
- Esc setting gives me the options CW and CCW
- Transmitter settings give me the option of NORmal and REVersed
- Motor wires can be switched to reverse the turning direction.

I'm lost because it looks like multiple combinations give the same results....

??

If your wires aren't color coded you always plug them differently after a refit...

I prefer to switch 2 wires. Changing it on the transmitter could require a recalibration because your low / high endpoints could be a slightly different.
Esc works fine too, but take more effort than switching 2 wires.

Thanks for the reply.
I have letters A, B and C on both the esc and the motor, so I guess that's a right way to connect them.

How I did it:
Connected motor and esc, set esc to fwd/brake mode and CCW.
Did the binding with the transmitter
Found out that forward was reverse. (steering was also reversed)

Reset transmitter, set throttle and brake channels to REVersed
Set ESC to fwd/brake/rev mode
Rebinded with transmitter

Adjusted steering end points and now I think I am ready to go ??

Yeah the way you did it is what I would consider the right way, the motor wire swap way is the "Dammit I don't have time for this I just want to get running" way ??

You can do it either way unless it's specifically stated in the motor datasheet. There used to be motors with 'preferred direction of rotation', they would gain some rpm or were build in a way to withstand higher rpm turning in that direction. It was typically indicated with an arrow on the faceplate of the motor.
This has been many moons ago though and goes to the beginning of brushless motors in the RC world.

Back