Kraton Motor Swap in Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Leo 4092 mounted with the Nero ESC and got to try it (briefly) on 14t. Ambient temperature was low.

Very happy with the speed but had a bunch of issues and couldn't run for long.

I have now slapped on a 16t to try but it's raining out so I likely won't get to run it until the weekend
Looks great man, i actually have Hobby Wings version of that esc in my kraton now with the 1717 motor. I opted for it over the Nero Esc bc with the hb version it is fully programmable with the tuning card. I am going with a 19th to start , just ordered a JR 9100T Servo used to throw in it also.

I have the Leo 4092 mounted with the Nero ESC and got to try it (briefly) on 14t. Ambient temperature was low.

Very happy with the speed but had a bunch of issues and couldn't run for long.

I have now slapped on a 16t to try but it's raining out so I likely won't get to run it until the weekend
How are you doing with the Leopard motor Swerny ?

How are you doing with the Leopard motor Swerny ?

Only had a short run. Pinion fell off then the mesh was off. Shop used very small bolts to mount the motor.

16t now on and ready to go....but will likely have to wait for the weekend.

I did get my Typhon back together though

I run a 14t pinion on my 4092 1730kv and it's a monster on 6s. I have a 16t in waiting but I'm not sure yet...:eek:

I have to use a generous amount of blue lock-tight on the pinion grub screw. When I didn't, both on my Kraton and Senton, the pinion would loosen and slide back and start eating the motor mount.

I run a 14t pinion on my 4092 1730kv and it's a monster on 6s. I have a 16t in waiting but I'm not sure yet...:eek:

I have to use a generous amount of blue lock-tight on the pinion grub screw. When I didn't, both on my Kraton and Senton, the pinion would loosen and slide back and start eating the motor mount.

I'm having trouble keeping the pinion gears on for all my Arrma's, regardless of motor.

Luckily mine just fall off forward...unlike my XO1 which got caught on the motor plate and lunched the motor.

You could clean off everything with alcohol...go get brand new green or red Loctite and put it on the shaft and grub screw. You don't need much !!!!! I start to have issues when my Loctite gets old......it doesn't last real long once it's open. Purchasing small bottles of it is the best.

You could clean off everything with alcohol...go get brand new green or red Loctite and put it on the shaft and grub screw. You don't need much !!!!! I start to have issues when my Loctite gets old......it doesn't last real long once it's open. Purchasing small bottles of it is the best.
I use a Loctite gel that works good

My Kraton is back in the shop. The bolts aren't strong enough to hold the Leo 4092. Mesh was always off.
Truck is an absolute rocket though when it runs.
Shop is going to tap the holes to use bigger screws

Add a water jacket sleeve like this:

kraton-33-jpg.2395

It takes a lot of the stress off the mounting screws.

Add a water jacket sleeve like this:

kraton-33-jpg.2395

It takes a lot of the stress off the mounting screws.

hmmm...does that fill in the gap between the bottom of the motor and the chassis? I was debating stuffing something in there for support.

In hindsight i should have just gone with the 1717...which bolts right up with the stock screws.

Last edited:
My Kraton is back in the shop. The bolts aren't strong enough to hold the Leo 4092. Mesh was always off.
Truck is an absolute rocket though when it runs.
Shop is going to tap the holes to use bigger screws
I drilled and tapped mine yesterday,took about 20 mintues for both.

hmmm...does that fill in the gap between the bottom of the motor and the chassis? I was debating stuffing something in there for support.

In hindsight i should have just gone with the 1717...which bolts right up with the stock screws.

Yep, it fills the gap nicely!

Has the castle 1717 been run yet in the Kraton ?
Not yet , I just got my new servo the other day installed Jr9100T so it has a ton of torque now. This is a slow project that's been really hard for me to get to work on with work everyday and vacation coming up as i'll be traveling to florida and plan to get engaged. So i have had no time. I tried doing a bit to it over the weekend but it looks like i'll need to raise the top center diff plate now or cut the notches out under it and add some spacers as it rubs the center gear now since i raised the center diff to fit the motor. Should be a few more weeks until i get it all together but i have a small feeling that the center diff wont be able to support the weight of the 1717.
C35DD5A0-7A06-4F39-9250-A06C14D56AF4_zpsmiwryrce.jpg

Looks good bud.... this stuff takes time. I'm looking to purchase a Losi 1/5th monster truck xl, converted for 8s - 12s lipo. Check out Kershaw Designs for maybe some help with your Kraton build. While I was there shopping around, I noticed some custom motor mounts for adapting large motors into 1/8 scale etc... Maybe contact them and see if they have something for your build. Take a few measurements before you contact them. I may be selling my Kraton, upgrading the motor, or just getting into a ridiculous 1/5 scale build. I'm not sure.... I'm still asking lots of questions.

Looks good bud.... this stuff takes time. I'm looking to purchase a Losi 1/5th monster truck xl, converted for 8s - 12s LiPo. I've been doing some homework and I'm not 100% sure yet.

Check out Kershaw Designs for maybe some help with your Kraton build. While I was there shopping around for over kill items, I noticed some custom motor mounts for adapting large motors into 1/8 scale etc... Maybe contact them and see if they have something for your build. Take a few measurements before you contact them. I may be selling my Kraton, upgrading the motor, or just getting into a ridiculous 1/5 scale build. I'm not sure.... I'm still asking lots of questions.

Looks good bud.... this stuff takes time. I'm looking to purchase a Losi 1/5th monster truck xl, converted for 8s - 12s LiPo. Check out Kershaw Designs for maybe some help with your Kraton build. While I was there shopping around, I noticed some custom motor mounts for adapting large motors into 1/8 scale etc... Maybe contact them and see if they have something for your build. Take a few measurements before you contact them. I may be selling my Kraton, upgrading the motor, or just getting into a ridiculous 1/5 scale build. I'm not sure.... I'm still asking lots of questions.
Thanks man , i actually had a 1/5th Losi Brushless conversion some time back , but i am sad to say i bought it locally and it was already built at the time. It is a beast of a truck but honestly for me it was too big to be able to take out whenever i wanted and it got very expensive when i wanted more lipo's so i decided to stay in the 1/8th size range as it is just easier for me and suits my needs these days with the limited time i have to run and work on them. I'm wishing you luck though , they are really fun and super easy to wrench on. I'll check kershaw though , i have used a few of there items also in the past on my Savage. Ty

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back