Kraton Motor Swap in Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanning

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I thought swapping out the stock motor with my Castle Creation 2200Kv would only take a a few minutes. It turned into a few hour project. The stock motor uses nice big bolts to hold itself in...the bolt threads and the head sit snug against the motor mount slots. The Castle Creation uses much smaller bolts !!! These smaller bolts do not sit snug in the motor mount. I ended up using my old Taig micro lathe and made 2 collars that fit inside the motor mount. The inside of the collar has a hole the size of the bolt thread width for the Castle Creation motor bolts. The outside diameter of the collar is the width of the slots in the motor mount. I made them as thick as the slots are deep also. Then I used bolts that were the perfect length and put them through the collars center hole, then the collar sits in the motor mount slots. Then into the motors face plate. I cut the collars from 6061 aluminum. It holds like a champ and can't move around. I sure wish CC used the same bolts as the Arrma did on their stock motor. I'm glad I got this installed in a way that makes me happy....even if it did take a while. I probably could have found some washers but I had nothing to use and the fit may not have been perfect.

Last edited:
motor_zpsk7d1o5fl.jpg

It's getting there. My next issue came with the ESC, you can't bolt it to the plastic plate obviously. I knew I was just going to servo tape it in so I wasn't worried. But !!!!! the servo tape wont stick to the plastic that they used. So I cut out a real smooth piece of plastic and screwd that down to the mounting plate. The servo tape holds on to this stuff real solid. You can see it along side of the ESC. Another quick job takes longer than expected !!! It's all good.

Kraton_zpskvxlxdk1.jpg

Last edited:
Made a little more progress on my Kraton . The motor is in, how loose are you guys running the gear mesh ? I also got the Mugen body cut out tonight...it looks good and was easy to make it fit. Here is a pic of how I trimmed the rear section to fit the Kraton.

Body.jpg

Body2.jpg

Maybe I missed it previously, but I've not heard the castle doesn't use the same mounting screws as stock. I know some motors have both regular and smaller sized holes but didn't know the castle won't bolt in? Did it not come with screws?

Just curious...

My Castle Creation 2200KV has 4 of the smaller sized threaded holes.....it doesn't have the larger threaded holes that the Kratons stock motor has. The Castle motor does come with 4 useless bolts that can't be used with the Kraton's motor mount. You will have to get some longer ones and use washers or do what I did and machine the perfect sized washer/collar to hold it all together snug. The face plates on the motors can't be swapped, they look different. ISo to answer your question....it did come with screws that are too short, the heads also don't sit snug in the motor mount. You have to get different screws and some sort of washers that fit perfectly in the slot. These are strong motors....I wanted a solid install. The collars I made are perfect, they act like the head of the larger stock bolt inside the motor mounts slots. Nothing can slide up or down.

The Slash got some competition in competition orange !!! I love the smell of lexan and paint in the morning. My cell phone takes horrible pictures....in person, this thing looks pretty boss.

paint_zps5jnwxjug.jpg

I thought swapping out the stock motor with my Castle Creation 2200Kv would only take a a few minutes. It turned into a few hour project. The stock motor uses nice big bolts to hold itself in...the bolt threads and the head sit snug against the motor mount slots. The Castle Creation uses much smaller bolts !!! These smaller bolts do not sit snug in the motor mount. I ended up using my old Taig micro lathe and made 2 collars that fit inside the motor mount. The inside of the collar has a hole the size of the bolt thread width for the Castle Creation motor bolts. The outside diameter of the collar is the width of the slots in the motor mount. I made them as thick as the slots are deep also. Then I used bolts that were the perfect length and put them through the collars center hole, then the collar sits in the motor mount slots. Then into the motors face plate. I cut the collars from 6061 aluminum. It holds like a champ and can't move around. I sure wish CC used the same bolts as the Arrma did on their stock motor. I'm glad I got this installed in a way that makes me happy....even if it did take a while. I probably could have found some washers but I had nothing to use and the fit may not have been perfect.
I have done a sweet 5th scale swap I designed

Attachments

• IMG_20160615_213448.jpg
    IMG_20160615_213448.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 108
Lookin sweet man, I'm digging the orange. How do you like those Badlands? Those are 1/2" offset?
I love the Badlands on my Slash but the Slash can roll over easy if you don't drive it right. I got the 1/2 inch offset on the Kraton. It should handle awesome and stay planted in corners better. I like the stock rims and tires also....I'll use them for on off road places...and the Badlands strictly off road.

These A-arms and 1/2 inch offset Pro-Lines look like they can serve as wings and not just suspension and traction.:rolleyes:

I used some Lexan to make mud flaps on the rear A arms, they look awesome. I left them clear. I also added a 3 inch extension wire to my throttle channel in the RX. This way I can plug in the ESC outside of the receiver box. When I need to hook up my Castle Link to my lap top, I don't have to open up the receiver box.

I need some heavier springs....does anyone know where to go for shock springs on these Kratons ?

Last edited:
I love the Badlands on my Slash but the Slash can roll over easy if you don't drive it right. I got the 1/2 inch offset on the Kraton. It should handle awesome and stay planted in corners better. I like the stock rims and tires also....I'll use them for on off road places...and the Badlands strictly off road.

These A-arms and 1/2 inch offset Pro-Lines look like they can serve as wings and not just suspension and traction.:rolleyes:

I used some Lexan to make mud flaps on the rear A arms, they look awesome. I left them clear. I also added a 3 inch extension wire to my throttle channel in the RX. This way I can plug in the ESC outside of the receiver box. When I need to hook up my Castle Link to my lap top, I don't have to open up the receiver box.

I need some heavier springs....does anyone know where to go for shock springs on these Kratons ?

https://arrmaforum.com/threads/kraton-shock-springs.491/
Here's the thread you need for springs. :) I'm running Tekno orange all around, and 60wt shock oil. Really handles the landings better, though I may up the rear to 70wt.

Thanks...that's exactly what I was looking for on springs.

I hate doing this but it sure does work well and to me it's worth the effort. I finally was able to find some time to mesh and goo my shell.

mesh152621_zps9crpjzue.jpg

Thanks Dub. My Pro-Line VW bug body on my slash is done like this and it sure does take a beating. The fenders want to rip off that without the goo treatment. With the mesh and goo....they don't budge. It takes some time to do and you have to try and keep the outside of the shell free of the glue. Keeping the clear wrap on a new shell works if you can have the patience to not rip it off after paint. Gorilla tape is my second choice for a basher body. It's a little harder to get it into some complex curves on a shell but the stuff is strong.

Yes.
We need a build thread on that 1/5th scale powered Kraton.:eek::eek::eek:

1/5th power in a 1/8th scale.....I like that !!!!! Dub....you are sitting pretty with some serious motor now also.

I found some time last night to blast my Kraton around the yard as it is now (6S). I defiantly need to up the center diff thickness and shock sprngs. The Kraton shredded my lawn so bad....it's a mess !!!! I'm getting way too much front wheel drive in it and I'm running the Bad Lands. The one good thing after my session is .... the motor stayed incredibly cool. I also noticed my Mamba Monster X ESC started beeping a code.....it turned out to be just a full data log file. I went in and cleared all that out. I'm happy with the power plant in it...now on to some diff work.

I decided against the 500k Dubs ...I'm just going to jump to 50k for now and test it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back