Kraton Motor Swap in Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the screws small on that 1717 ? Or..... are they the stock size or larger ? It looks like it fits real good.

I like the tires you got on yours.

Quick question.....can i wire my motor fan to my ESC switch wires ? Or piggyback on to the ESC's fan wires ?

Hmmm...
Sounds like the screws holding the motor to the mount came a little loose and caused a slight angle on the pinion and could have been the reason the teeth snapped. Steel on steel grinding would be loud if you were on the throttle. Maybe after the cartwheels it was just enough to knock the motor loose a smidgen. I'd back those screws out and lock-tite them very generously and let it sit overnight to set up. Hopefully you wont chew up more pinions or toast a motor...

Quick question.....can i wire my motor fan to my ESC switch wires ? Or piggyback on to the ESC's fan wires ?

I believe the fans run off the BEC's regulated 6 volts(or whatever your ESC's BEC is set at). So as long as you check the voltage of the wires you tap into, you should be good. But to be on the safe side, just plug it in to an open slot in the RX.

Last edited:
Tested my Arrma Kraton outside in the road today with my heatsink and fan installed on the 2200KV, new springs, bumper and the front end work I did earlier to correct the diff binding issue. I also did 30, 50, 10 in the diffs. 12 tooth pinion, stock tires, I ran full speed pulls ( 6S 5000mah, 35- 75C) up and down the road and it's about 95 degrees F out and humid. I checked my heat gun inside the house compared to my thermostat before I went out....same reading.

I beat on the rig up and down the road, lots of braking, turns and jumping driveway entrances. Reaching full speed every pass. Incredible rig it is !!!!!! To member Justpassedu....get the springs I mentioned...they are great. 95 mm Tekno rear orange and 80 mm Tekno orange front. So much better . Due to adding the brass collars, my front has very little negative camber...I notice better contact on full speed passes and the rig just handled so well like that still.

The motor topped 130 F per the heat gun.... A finger test....I can keep my finger on it no problem, so I believe the gun. Anything under 200F is ok with these motors, I stay under 180F with everything but I want to run around 140-160 F so I know I'm not under geared . Next time I run....I'll be back in the short grass drainage ditch where I got the 180 F reading again to see what my temps are again. Jeez....my heatsink seems to be keeping this thing rather cool. Granted, I was up and down the road but I was full blast many times until the Lipo was done. IDK.....seemed pretty impressive. The rig is smooth and fast.

I drilled holes under my motor fan in the heatsink...the air will actually enter into the holes and then into and around the fins on the motor...I can feel it coming out under the motor between the heatsink and motor. Great thing about the CC motor are those small fins. You can slide a real snug aluminum heat sink on if you have to on a hot day. You will not scratch the motor up.

holes_zpsolwpy9jf.jpg

fan_zpsdodhiwoc.jpg

chassis_zpseq5g4s2n.jpg

Last edited:
Tested my Arrma Kraton outside in the road today with my heatsink and fan installed on the 2200KV, new springs, bumper and the front end work I did earlier to correct the diff binding issue. I also did 30, 50, 10 in the diffs. 12 tooth pinion, stock tires, I ran full speed pulls ( 6S 5000mah, 35- 75C) up and down the road and it's about 95 degrees F out and humid. I checked my heat gun inside the house compared to my thermostat before I went out....same reading.

I beat on the rig up and down the road, lots of braking, turns and jumping driveway entrances. Reaching full speed every pass. Incredible rig it is !!!!!! To member Justpassedu....get the springs I mentioned...they are great. 95 mm Tekno rear orange and 80 mm Tekno orange front. So much better . Due to adding the brass collars, my front has very little negative camber...I notice better contact on full speed passes and the rig just handled so well like that still.

The motor topped 130 F per the heat gun.... A finger test....I can keep my finger on it no problem, so I believe the gun. Anything under 200F is ok with these motors, I stay under 180F with everything but I want to run around 140-160 F so I know I'm not under geared . Next time I run....I'll be back in the short grass drainage ditch where I got the 180 F reading again to see what my temps are again. Jeez....my heatsink seems to be keeping this thing rather cool. Granted, I was up and down the road but I was full blast many times until the LiPo was done. IDK.....seemed pretty impressive. The rig is smooth and fast.

I drilled holes under my fan in the heatsink...the air will actually enter into the holes and then into and around the fins on the motor...I can feel it coming out under the motor between the heatsink and motor. Great thing about the CC motor are those small fins. You can slide a real snug aluminum heat sink on if you have to on a hot day. You will not scratch the motor up.

holes_zpsolwpy9jf.jpg

fan_zpsdodhiwoc.jpg

chassis_zpseq5g4s2n.jpg
Nice Vanning ty for the good news on the springs , by any chance do you have the part #'s , if not im sure i can find them. Did they stiffen it up well bc the stockers are way to soft ? Be Careful with your esc , it may not be waterproof anymore after drilling those holes , i am not 100% sure on that though. Truck looks great though , i have that same motor fan laying around someplace also, using my castle fan for now though.

That's not my ESC...it's a motor heat sink under the fan that I drilled out from the top. Look in the holes, you will see the fins on my motor. It's like little air passages....seems to work awesome.

With the Orange Tekno springs front and back....my A-arms can ride level with the collar sitting in the middle of the threads on the shock body. Part #'s are TKR6093 and TKR6083. I'm pretty positive you will like them.

Last edited:
That's not my ESC...it's a motor heat sink under the fan that I drilled out from the top. Look in the holes, you will see the fins on my motor. It's like little air passages....seems to work awesome.

With the Orange Tekno springs front and back....my A-arms can ride level with the collar sitting in the middle of the threads on the shock body. Part #'s are TKR6093 and TKR6083. I'm pretty positive you will like them.
After seeing that 1717 fit , i think i may pick 1 up in the near future for the Kraton. I love that motor , its heavy though so i am hoping the springs will do well with it. Ty

It looks like it fits pretty good....I got a few motors on order but that 1717 isn't one of them. I feel these springs will handle the weight of it. I would go for it...it seems like it fits perfect to tell you the truth.

It looks like it fits pretty good....I got a few motors on order but that 1717 isn't one of them. I feel these springs will handle the weight of it. I would go for it...it seems like it fits perfect to tell you the truth.
I just ordered them off amazon , appreciate it . What motors did you end up ordering ? I am gonna try the stock motor for now and when i find a good deal on 1717 def gotta grab it.

The stock motor is good....I would want to see how that 1717 fits near the drive shaft...it's probably fine. I got a Leopard 1730KV and TP 4070 Motor (40x102mm) 1440kv. I'm actually going to build another vehicle this winter. Looking at a Tekno ET48...I have a bunch spare parts to get something going pretty easy. The problem is....if I have something, my sons need something also.

I would want to see how that 1717 is near the drive shaft...it's probably fine. I got a Leopard 1730KV and TP 4070 Motor (40x102mm) 1440kv. I'm actually going to build another vehicle this winter. Looking at a Tekno ET48...I have a bunch spare parts to get something going pretty easy. The problem is....if I have something, my sons need something also.
I think it should be fine as the poster who threw up the pictures did not say there were any problems with it hitting the drive shaft. I did however notice on mine , after installing the gka aluminum servo mount my front drive shaft slightly brushes it when in motion as i saw a scratch around the ds. The Tekno Et48 is a sweet vehicle man , you cant go wrong , more made for racing than bashing, I almost purchased that exact truggy before getting the Kraton. They are made well and quality parts. Hmm well as long as your son doesn't need his own Et48 you should be ok, two of those could get expensive , i see them used in great condition for sale allot on the rctech forum. Maybe get it around the holidays so if he needs something that can be his holiday gift lol.

I tell you what...that 1717 looks like a great choice in the Kraton.

I want the Tekno not for bashing....I just want to mess with one this winter ...I like that vehicle due to the straight inline drive shafts. IDK...it just looks pretty sweet. My Kraton is my 1/8 basher and may drop to 4S for my son or 5S. It will be great for that, Then I have a Slash and 2 Stampedes for around the yard. My slash is pretty much bullet proof but I've been hooked on the Kraton. The size, speed and weight is more fun in the proper area. I tend to like 1/8th the best. Once you start getting addicted to the Kraton on 6S it's all over. LOL

Last edited:
I tell you what...that 1717 looks like a great choice in the Kraton.

I want the Tekno not for bashing....I just want to mess with one this winter ...I like that vehicle due to the straight inline drive shafts. IDK...it just looks pretty sweet. My Kraton is my 1/8 basher and may drop to 4S for my son or 5S, then I have a Slash for around the yard. My slash is pretty much bullet proof but I've been hooked on the Kraton. The size, speed and weight is more fun in the proper area. I tend to like 1/8th the best.
If you look at my profile pic to the left that was my slash 4x4 , great basher , i owned 4 of them and every time id sell one and try something else i wanted to go back to the slash. My last 1 was running a castle mm2 , castle 2650kv motor and 4s lipo , i had every upgrade possible but it just never drove like the real 8th scales do. It was fast but not amazingly stable no matter what i did with all that power. Great truck though . I have had so many cars in trucks throughout the years it got bad at 1 point , i was a hoarder lol . Now i moved to a smaller place and just don't have the room so i narrowed it down to the Kraton for all my needs along with a Quadcopter . If i sold the Kraton the Tekno would prob be my next choice or possibly another Mugen. The Tekno should make a good winter truggy , i don't really know what difference it would make having straight drive shafts compared to ones on a slant , I will agree though it does look really sweet , i love the shape of that chassis also and the parts are just top notch. How old is your son ? It seems the slash would be great for him if your dropping power for him .

He's 9 but for some reason he has uncanny RC driving ability, he's been at it for a while now....just mind boggling on how fast he learned. He's flying helis also a little. I want to let him get his hands on something wicked fast on a big open flat area....supervised as always. He's getting bored with his rig now....great jumper but he needs to get a feel for some speed I think. LOL Yeah...the Slash on 3S is probably a good idea before the Kraton. Good call. True....a slash can't drive like a 1/8 Kraton. 2 different animals.

I ran my Kraton again last night in a huge parking lot. Ran a full 6S 5000Mah through the 2200KV. I ran it like I stole it around that lot....I did way more full speed runs than on my street. I can't get it hotter than 140 F. I still got to hit the grass ditch with it. That grass is thin and mostly sandy patches, no rolling resistance really and I got 180F running in there without a fan. Can this heatsink/fan be sapping 40 degrees out ???. I know the grass can cause strain but this grass is nothing. Only another run in there will tell. I got the Leopard in the mail yesterday, I need some 6.5mm bullets to plug it into my ESC.

That's a good report!
The 2200 is seems much better when paired with the 12t pinion as well as adding the fan and heat sink. I worry that it may heat up if you jump to a 14-16t pinion. But it sounds like you have a good all around rig now!

BTW: Your new Leo should have the 6.5mm bullets in the box.

The Leo came in the mail yesterday from RC Juice (excellent service) ....it has bullets in the box but not the ones I need to plug into my ESC. Stinking Castle had to be different than others and run their motor wires directly into the ESC with huge 6.5mm bullets. That's ok because this ESC is awesome. I will have to order 6.5mm and some silicon wire to go to the bullets that came in the box. Stinking hobby shops around here never have anything you need, so 90% has to be ordered.

The CC 2200KV will probably start to get too hot on 14 tooth, but it's just stinking fast on the 12T. It's turning out to be a good all around rig. I can not believe the results from the heatsink and fan. More testing will follow....very happy with the system.

The Leo may send this thing into orbit geared up. Can't wait to try it out. I'll order more Mod 1 pinion gears also. Still waiting on the stinking wheelie bar. A better battery is needed also. 35C is doing ok but I feel that has to be bumped up a little more. It's going to take me a while to get the new motor ready...I need a break anyway...headed to Disney with the kids.

Last edited:
So Vanning, you find the CC 2200 setup faster than the stock V2 Kraton stuff?

I sent a bunch of stuff back for warranty, and it looks like it's all being replaced (Kraton V1 ESC, motor, servo, wing mount)..

I also sent back the motor and ESC form my Vorza...and it appears i'm getting the ELS-6S ESC (rebadged CC MM2) and the Flux Tork 2200 motor.

I'm going to be honest, i haven't had much luck with CC stuff in the past.....but I'm debating running it in either my Kraton or Typhon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back