Motor swap, keep stock esc? Go all out for max 5? Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamondo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hi all, just looking for some advice with swapping out motor on 8s. I’m currently running stock electronics with 23t pinion, punch 5 and I’ve got 20mil centre diff glue waiting to go in. it’s pretty dam good but What I really want is to make the big 8 an absolute handful like the 6s can be, but I’d like to keep the telemetry of the firma esc. So im thinking HW 5687 1100kv and keep stock esc? But how far can I push it? Or do I go all out for the 56113 800kv combo, and again on what pinion? Where it all confuses me is what pinions and KV to look for, and what motors can handle what power etc. I don’t want to be swapping out for low Kv, going bigger pinion and landing back where I started if that makes sense, but I want that Instant snap of acceleration. Does a low Kv motor with big pinion mean the top speed is higher but it’s like pulling off in a car in 2nd gear?
sorry for the long post I’m hungry and I’m rambling on waiting for a takeaway ?‍♂️

I run the stock esc with a 5692 1200kv motor and it’s fine. Much better air control. With a 30t pinion I get around 50mph (here on earth...). I do not use the avc though, I feel it slows the car down but do not have solid proof on that. Eventual if I ever work full time again I will try the max5 and a bigger motor. If money is no issue that may be the way to go. To see the potential of this rig you need to check out this video and others of @Rich Duperbash .
He’s running two 34t as pinion and spur with the big 800kv motor..

Go with hobbystar 980KV with a 30T pinion. Stock ESC will handle it no problem.

Thanks guys, I have been watching rich duperbash vids on YouTube, he’s an inspiration to watch! I like the look of is 1100kv max5 combo on 30t, and then he threw a spanner in the works when I saw the 800kv long can vid ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back