Outcast Motor temp issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airflow makes a huge difference in temp control. Probably a good idea to shed mud guards or at least trim or vent with holes. Those are some big batteries. I'm using a SMC 6s brick. It's just too fun to run fast with these rigs...Lol. I'll probably get a heatsink/fan as springtime warms up, summer's here hit 100+ no problem.
Whats your run time like on the SMC 6s? I'm assuing the 4300mAh 40C? I've had my finger on the order button for a while

Whats your run time like on the SMC 6s? I'm assuing the 4300mAh 40C? I've had my finger on the order button for a while
That's the one, nice and light for doing bigger jumps. I'd say around 20+ minutes or so, depending on how hard I'm nailing the throttle, have never clocked total time, it's long enough for me to get my bash in for sure. I have an SPC the same size and swap it in if I feel like going longer. Rig feels very balanced with this size pack, nimble at speeds, too.

That's the one, nice and light for doing bigger jumps. I'd say around 20+ minutes or so, depending on how hard I'm nailing the throttle, have never clocked total time, it's long enough for me to get my bash in for sure. I have an SPC the same size and swap it in if I feel like going longer. Rig feels very balanced with this size pack, nimble at speeds, too.
PS, I normally drive her hard geared 16-18 pinion. 16 with stock motor, 18 for now with Nero motor in Kraton and Outcast.

That's good to hear man. Sounds nice and simple and 20 minutes is about right for me. Thanks for the info!

P.S.- your YT vids aided in the purchase of my outcast, so I appreciate you putting them up.
Much appreciated, glad the vids were helpful. SMC is a good brand at a reasonable price and you can pick your choice of connector which makes things easy.

I'm glad someone else is reporting heat issues. I have MMX system in my Kraton with all the Outcast guards and velcro body to the sides. It keeps the dirt out, but think it's keeping all the heat in. My esc has gone thermal shutdown last 2 runs. I think it's baking in there, pulled the data logs and definitely see temp steadily rising. I'm probably going to do some venting of the body, or just try going back to the Kraton side guards without the mud flaps first.

I'm glad someone else is reporting heat issues. I have MMX system in my Kraton with all the Outcast guards and velcro body to the sides. It keeps the dirt out, but think it's keeping all the heat in. My esc has gone thermal shutdown last 2 runs. I think it's baking in there, pulled the data logs and definitely see temp steadily rising. I'm probably going to do some venting of the body, or just try going back to the Kraton side guards without the mud flaps first.

I went back to the Kraton side guards without the mud guards and it definitely runs cooler. I have only run it once with the Kraton side guards but it ran about 8f cooler on a day that was 10F hotter. I would definitely give a try and see if it makes a difference for you.

I'm thinking of putting a heatsink with fan on the motor of my Outcast. Does somebody have any good suggestions for that?
Thanx in advance!

That sounds like a pretty high temp.....funny that you did this as I was going to make a video
using a laser temp gun similar to yours and measure the difference between with and without
a Castle motor cooling fan.

Please do. I have a castle fan on one outcast motor and am researching options for the other

Does anyone have any updates for a better fan? I have the castle but its lacking in my opinion, especially being plastic.

Update on my heat issues, I solved it by going to a 13t pinion. I also cut some vent holes in the front of the body, and upgraded my ESC to a Wild Turbo fan. For the motor, I bought the PowerHobby heatsink, but the fan in it was junk. I now have the Yeah Racing tornado plus fan. Aluminum cased fan. I would recommend a different heatsink that is aluminum, like the, integy, or the Yeah Racing double fan one where the fan mounts externally, and Yeah Racing makes some nice aluminum fan protectors.

Last edited:
What do you mean by pulled the data logs?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back