Motor temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fury
I purchased two Mega Fury's early Dec this year for the father-in-law and myself to bash around with.
The FIL's Fury smoked a motor on its second battery.
I fitted (bodgily) a heat sink to mine on the end of the motor, but it blew last week anyway.
I've since replaced it with a "Radiant" brand 12T but I've come very close to cooking that too.
Now the weather here has been warm recently (25-30 deg c) but today (15 deg c) I went out for a bash in the back yard (very short grass) and after 2-3 mins measured the motor temp at 75 deg c!

How the heck do you keep these things cool?

We just had a motor burn up on one of my son’s trucks today. I ordered a Traxxas 550 for it which will arrive tomorrow.

The Arrma motors seem to have a pretty short life.

Just a heads up the Titan 550 12t isn't much better, there is a reason people call these throw away motors because you use them a few times and then throw them away.

Make sure that nothing in your driveline is binding, make sure that your gear mesh is properly set and check to see if you are overgeared. Those are the only 3 things that would cause a motor to heat up so fast.

Also did you properly break in the motor? Connect 4aa batteries in series to the motor and let the motor run for about 5 minutes.

Just a heads up the Titan 550 12t isn't much better, there is a reason people call these throw away motors because you use them a few times and then throw them away.

Make sure that nothing in your driveline is binding, make sure that your gear mesh is properly set and check to see if you are overgeared. Those are the only 3 things that would cause a motor to heat up so fast.

Also did you properly break in the motor? Connect 4aa batteries in series to the motor and let the motor run for about 5 minutes.

Thanks. I have received mixed reviews on the Titan as well, just want to try something different.

Honestly, my break ins have really just been putting it in the truck, lifting the wheels off the ground and letting it run at various speeds for a battery pack, then blowing it out and oiling.

I am going to try the water break in this time around. I have a Tamiya Torque Tuned motor as well to try in mynother son’s Fury.

The water break in method didn't work for me when I tried it, the motor didn't last any longer than the previous one I did the driving method on, just drive around in slow figure 8s until the battery dies.

I've had the best luck doing the 4aa battery break in and this is the method I used when I rebuilt my Vintage Trinity Speed Gems 2 Quartz motor, and so far that thing has over 20 packs through it and it's still trucking right along.

If you want to stay brushed I would highly recommend a rebuildable motor.

These motors are supposed to be decent https://www.amainhobbies.com/yeah-racing-hackmoto-v2-540-brushed-motor-17t-yea-mt-0018/p529876
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...ah-racing-hackmoto-v2-540-brushed-motors.html

Last edited:
The Traxxas motor seems ok (for now), not heating up as much as the stock ARRMA one.
The FIL's Fury stopped working again yesterday. No smoke was released this time though?
ESC lights up with throttle inputs, I even tried shorting a battery pack directly to the motor wires, nothing.
Back to the LHS tomorrow! Getting sick of this.
Thanks for the info slick2500, I broke in the Radiant, and also the new Traxxas.

I don't know much about brushed motors as I have never used them and most likely never will, but just wanted to suggest something. Have you thought about switching to brushless? The link below is for a Castle system that you can get for $88 after super saver coupon. I never use brushed systems because I figure after replacing the motor 6 times in 3 months I would be money ahead just going brushless. Like I said, just a suggestion.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGPBG&P=SM

HI Chevy,
I have looked into brushless, but that's the first setup in your link that I could afford.
Not sure of any LHC in Aus that have it though.

HI Chevy,
I have looked into brushless, but that's the first setup in your link that I could afford.
Not sure of any LHC in Aus that have it though.
You could always order one of these off eBay, I do not personally have one but a few guys on here do and have had good luck with them, they ship from China and offer worldwide shipping via the slow boat. As a side note I would only trust the esc as being splashproof and not completely waterproof. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Goolrc-Bru...157870?hash=item25e46d4b2e:g:TacAAOSw-jFaBQPy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back