Senton Motor upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buccboy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I also have the Senton 4x4 v3 mega 550 brushed and want to go brushless and run 3s. My question is can I put in a
Firma 85a brushless smart ESC with a Firma 3300kv sensorless motor. And what servo would go good. Thanks

Better to go with a Firma 100. for $15. more. If you want to run 3s. (11.1v)
I would stay away from Smart Firma ESC's. Check out HW stuff.
Your main problem will be with drivetrain failure with BLX power. Hopefully you are familiar enough with wrenching your rig to do those upgrades.
Should have gotten a 3s BLX to begin with. Or just buy one now. It will cost you as much to upgrade it to become a 3s rig. The cost difference between a Mega and a 3s Senton was $90. Now you are spending over $100. to just change out the ESC and motor. That doesn't include another$100+ in extra parts to make it a 3s Senton. The motor and ESC is the easy part. You need an updated slipper and metal spur gear at minimum. Maybe even metal input gears at the diffs. If you don't know what these are, you need to go to the Arrma-RC.com site and look at all the blow up diagrams. Look at the Senton 3s and see what parts you need that will update your mega and what parts will cross over. There are more parts differences than you think. Not just the Motor and ESC.
The Mega line is slow out the box, but you can tweak them a bit for more speed if you adjust gearing and use a HS on the brushed motor. Have you considered this. Adjusting gearing is usually the focus of RC's in general to get more speed or torque. No matter the motor/ESC setup you have.
Just my thoughts.
Welcome to AF.
Others will chime in with their ideas.
:cool:

Your main problem will be with drivetrain failure with BLX power. Hopefully you are familiar enough with wrenching your rig to do those upgrades.
Should have gotten a 3s BLX to begin with. Or just buy one now. It will cost you as much to upgrade it to become a 3s rig. The cost difference between a Mega and a 3s Senton was $90. Now you are spending over $100. to just change out the ESC and motor. That doesn't include another$100+ in extra parts to make it a 3s Senton. The motor and ESC is the easy part. You need an updated slipper and metal spur gear at minimum. Maybe even metal input gears at the diffs. If you don't know what these are, you need to go to the Arrma-RC.com site and look at all the blow up diagrams. Look at the Senton 3s and see what parts you need that will update your mega and what parts will cross over. There are more parts differences than you think. Not just the Motor and ESC.
The Mega line is slow out the box, but you can tweak them a bit for more speed if you adjust gearing and use a HS on the brushed motor. Have you considered this. Adjusting gearing is usually the focus of RC's in general to get more speed or torque. No matter the motor/ESC setup you have.
Just my thoughts.
Welcome to AF.

Just my thoughts.
Welcome to AF.
Thanks for the reply. What would you suggest for adjusting the gears, what to change and what is HS. Sorry newbie

Sorry HS means Motor Heat Sink, to cool the motor. Inexpensive.
Hobbywing (ESC's)
You need to read up on your rig. Find the size pinion you have and increase its size by 2 or more teeth. To get more speed. Pinion gears are not all that expensive. Learn what you have in front of you first, before upgrading and considering BLX. Many have done this and requires much in wrenching experience and parts knowledge. Go to Arrma_RC .com to study the Mega rig you have there and compare components to a 3s version. Just be advised to what I stated above.
Hopefully others will chime in with their ideas on this.

I believe the stock gear is 17T. Double check this. You need a HS for a Brushed motor not a BLX. They are too long and cover the brushed motor Vents.

Amazon.com: Apex RC Products Blue Aluminum Electric Motor Heat Sink for Cooling 540 / 550 Motors 8040: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Hobbypark Metal Steel 48P Pinion Gear Set 3.175mm Shaft Hole 17T 18T 19T 20T 21T 48 Pitch Motor Gears Kit for RC Car (5-Pack): Toys & Games

You need quality hand drivers, not cheap L wrenches to remove the pinion and work on your rig hardware.
Use Blue Thread Locker, just a tiny drop on the pinion grub screw to keep it secure. It must cure for 24 hours before you run the rig. Use TL on all metal on metal screws. And never on plastic threaded holes.
Just some more tips.

Last edited:
Highly recommend the HW MAX10SCT 120amp esc. This thing is a blast on the blx series running 3S. Pair it with a lower kv motor something in the 2200-2650kv range. 20T pinion. Can pick it up from HW for about $85. If you are looking for a budget option used BLX100 esc normally go for about $50 on ebay. If you want to run 3S all the time I would still run a lower kv, larger can, motor. The 3200 seems to get hot on 3S unless you gear down 15T and below. IMO

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back