Typhon Motor upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
So I'm toying with the idea to upgrade my motor and esc next month. Did some research and found so many different opinions about the topic. Most of the threads here are rather old, so I'm hoping for some fresh input here.

I mostly bash on bmx tracks and skate parks, with the occasional parking lot bash and would love me some more top end and overall more liveliness out of the car and probably even more important, lower temperatures then the stock combo.

Currently I'm leaning towards the max 6 combo, running 6s. But that would add quite some weight to the car and also I'd need to gear up quite signifacantly to get more top end.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Team castle here😆

I put a castle 8s 1650 geared 34/34spool in my typhon but i only speed run/launch test only.
My setup has no heat issues at all until 10+ passes later starts to finally get a tad warm.

You could get a castle 6s 2200 combo with a 46t infraction spur that will keep temps down some or 40spur and gear up accordingly.

for a typhon 6s i would get the new max 8 g2 combo, to me that would be a great setup

Seems interesting, thanks for the suggetion! Did you already test the combo, even if it's not in the typhon? Couldn't find too many reviews for it.

I'm guessing the motor being sensored is not that big a deal for bashing or is it?

Team castle here😆

I put a castle 8s 1650 geared 34/34spool in my typhon but i only speed run/launch test only.
My setup has no heat issues at all until 10+ passes later starts to finally get a tad warm.

You could get a castle 6s 2200 combo with a 46t infraction spur that will keep temps down some or 40spur and gear up accordingly.

haha been waiting for castle vs hobbywing.. :D

Why the smaller spur? Wouldn't that be the same as a smaller pinion on the stock spur? And pinions seem to be cheaper then the spur gear.

Also, your typhon looks badass!

maybe the max 8 g2 or max6 + a tp motor. You could go tp 4050 or tp 4060.

Always thought the tp motors are more suited for speed run builds? Pretty new to the hobby, so I'm probably wrong?

Seems interesting, thanks for the suggetion! Did you already test the combo, even if it's not in the typhon? Couldn't find too many reviews for it.

I'm guessing the motor being sensored is not that big a deal for bashing or is it?

haha been waiting for castle vs hobbywing.. :D

Why the smaller spur? Wouldn't that be the same as a smaller pinion on the stock spur? And pinions seem to be cheaper then the spur gear.

Also, your typhon looks badass!

Always thought the tp motors are more suited for speed run builds? Pretty new to the hobby, so I'm probably wrong?
I had bad heat issues when stock 50t 15-20pinions temps when i use to bash it was crazy high and got info that lowering the spur reduces heat/less strain with a good mesh was the key and having 2 12v dual 40mm fans helped alot

Someone will explain it better then i did.

Since you doing track race and bashing that 46t or 40t spur will help i was once geared at 40/25-34 when bashing no temp issue

I had bad heat issues when stock 50t 15-20pinions temps when i use to bash it was crazy high and got info that lowering the spur reduces heat/less strain with a good mesh was the key and having 2 12v dual 40mm fans helped alot

Someone will explain it better then i did.

Since you doing track race and bashing that 46t or 40t spur will help i was once geared at 40/25-34 when bashing no temp issue
Interesting, have to look into that then I guess

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back