Granite motor wire cut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vincentimes.69

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Third session for my (no longer) brand new Granite Voltage today... The car stopped all of a sudden. I thought the battery was dead but quickly realized one of the solders at the motor had no wire attached to it. The wire was cut. Since the car was exclusively running on sand, no branch or rock could have cut it, I suspect the wire was badly soldered or already damaged. Anyway, easy repair.

If you want, warranty it and they will send a new motor. Happened twice to me already.

Heat shrink over the solder?
Sometimes corrosion gets the best of a solder joint and it weakens. Could just be a defective solder joint. Re-solder it and put heat shrink over it to protect the joint. Put HS over the other solder joint while you are at it. Make sure the wires are NOT taught. enough slack to prevent pulling on impacts while bashing. Use Zip ties to neaten up all your wiring.
Or just call HH for another motor. :cool:

I think I got it. The magnets on the wires near the motor are so heavy, when landing jumps they push/weight down so much on the wires that the wires break. I broke the second wire yesterday.

Still an easy repair, soldered it back in place. But i this time i made sure to remove any slack on the wires - which amplified the whip effect - using cable ties. In other words, the wires are now properly secured and don't swing loosely anymore. We'll see.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back