Kraton Motor wires not long enough

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobalt172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey guys,

Whats the best thing to do if a new motor's wires do not reach your ESC? Get a new wire with a female 6.5mm plug that goes to another male?

The best possible connection for minimal resistance is minimal length motor wires with no connectors in between but for bashing.. yeah, buying extendors is what I'd probably do.

ok looks like the max5 that i ordered comes with some good length motor wires with male ends and just bare wire at the other end. Should I just cut off the male connectors on the existing motor wires and solder those ends together???

I kinda suck at soldering. I just did ec5 connectors onto 2 3s batteries and idk how good it came out. I couldnt get the wire to "suck" in the solder.

I just did that to install the blx 2050kv into my ERBEv2. The adapters I had were castle 6.5mm -> 3.5mm, then genius me bought 3.5mm ->4mm and 30 seconds after installing it... I was like, this is dumb, so I ordered some 4mm bullets and replaced the 3.5mm bullets with those to at least only have two connections instead of 3. Then I used a long bit of heat shrink on each wire to help keep them all connected, then put zipties around the bundle of 3:
2019-1111-ERBEv2-BLX2050Motor-Wiring.jpg

Won't know how it does until I run it. Seemed fine on the bench on 6S.

Last edited:
what the heck.

How should I do this? cut off the end of existing motor wires then solder the bare wires together? right?
poop i didnt use flux on those 3s packs.
You gotta use Flux to get good results with soldering,I put it on wire ends and it sucks it right up.

Dangit, how does flux work? you just rub the wire in it?

Ye
what the heck.

How should I do this? cut off the end of existing motor wires then solder the bare wires together? right?
poop i didnt use flux on those 3s packs.

Dangit, how does flux work? you just rub the wire in it?
Yup
If you use shrink tubing on it make sure you put it on the wire and slide it out of the way.

If you use shrink tubing on it make sure you put it on the wire and slide it out of the way.

Yes or else.....you cant put the tubing on LOL
Can you tell me the best way to solder to bare wires together? I don't want to uninstall the motor though, its in the car and I just threadlocked everything

Last edited:
I just did that to install the blx 2050kv into my ERBEv2. The adapters I had were castle 6.5mm -> 3.5mm, then genius me bought 3.5mm ->4mm and 30 seconds after installing it... I was like, this is dumb, so I ordered some 4mm bullets and replaced the 3.5mm bullets with those to at least only have two connections instead of 3. Then I used a long bit of heat shrink on each wire to help keep them all connected, then put zipties around the bundle of 3:
2019-1111-ERBEv2-BLX2050Motor-Wiring.jpg

Won't know how it does until I run it. Seemed fine on the bench on 6S.
You’re a lot luckier than me with that mesh type of wire insulation on that blx motor. Motors like that usually eat through the insulation where it’s bent when I run them.

You’re a lot luckier than me with that mesh type of wire insulation on that blx motor. Motors like that usually eat through the insulation where it’s bent when I run them.
Hm... it's new. The castle motor I removed had eaten through it too. I had attributed it to the battery connectors smacking it all the time before I fastened them down. I'll have to check my outcast to see if they are worn at the bend. Do you think it's just from vibration and the wires eating through it from the inside?

Just slide the shrink tube on first and make sure it’s as far away from the solder point as possible. Then strip the ends and tin the leads. After they cool dip them in flux and solder them together inline. It doesn’t have to be super precise. Let them cool and give them a yank and make sure they are solid. Pull the shrink tube over the splice and apply some heat.

Hm... it's new. The castle motor I removed had eaten through it too. I had attributed it to the battery connectors smacking it all the time before I fastened them down. I'll have to check my outcast to see if they are worn at the bend. Do you think it's just from vibration and the wires eating through it from the inside?
That I am not sure.

I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to solder lol, so Im definitely an expert! ?

The link below he’s soldering XT90 connector to battery leads, but he has another and more on just tinning the ends. That is by far the most important part in soldering IMO, besides having a good soldering iron that gets hot enough. That was my problem initially, the iron I had didn’t get hot enough and it wouldn’t melt whatever two parts I wanted to join/solder.

*i don’t know him lol, just a random video I came across on soldering.

In my opinion you need to have bullets connectors so that when your motor goes bad or if you want to change motors its easy. The bullet plates are gold coated so it wont generate much resistance. I cant imagine cutting wires and soldering when i just want to take my motor out of the car for maintenance
Even if your wires are longer it might make almost 0 differance your not using crappy wire who creates a lot of resistance. This is just my opinion its like if was soldering my lipo directly to the wires of the esc and having to charge it while it is in the car

I will keep the bullet connectors, I am just going to solder male bullet connectors to 10 gauge wire with enough length then solder that to the motor wires after I cut the short ends off the motor. Sound right?
I need to also solder the dual batter connectors so I run 2 packs at once. Is there one I can just buy and solder to the esc wires?

I will keep the bullet connectors, I am just going to solder male bullet connectors to 10 gauge wire with enough length then solder that to the motor wires after I cut the short ends off the motor. Sound right?
I need to also solder the dual batter connectors so I run 2 packs at once. Is there one I can just buy and solder to the esc wires?
No you have to solder two connectors to run 2 baterries
Its easy if you use for example xt90's
An example over here how the connectors and wiring should look like for the esc
IMG_1084.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back