Big Rock Motors, Amps, KV, help please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan's_Rcs

Reaction score
Hello all,

So to sum this up, I've been trying to make a very over powered big rock for a while now. I started with a TP 4050 2830kv D wind on 4s. It had a ton of power, but overheated too quickly, and really heated up the esc as well. I then tried an old Castle 1515 2200kv on 4s with a 24 tooth pinion and got 57mph with much better temps, but it didn't feel like it had enough torque and was still too hot for running in grass, not to mention making my battery sag to lvc way too quickly. I then ordered a TP 4060 1730kv, and ran it on 5s with a 24 tooth pinion. This motor gave enough torque, but it also heated up too much. After about 5 minutes of runtime in grass it was at 180 degrees. Since then I added a fan, and dropped the pinion down to a 20 tooth and now I barely hit 130 degrees, but running that big of a motor and 2 batteries for 5s just makes the truck too heavy.

I'm just very confused by all of this, and not sure what to buy for the final motor in this truck. It's very odd to me that a Castle 1515 was able to push the 24t pinion and the TP 4060 was not... i was going to look at the TP 4050 2100kv, try it on 5s and hope that it would lower the amp draw, but since it's bigger brother had problems pushing the 24t around I'm thinking it might as well.

To summarize, I've tried a bunch of setups I thought would work and get me to my goal of 60+mph on and offroad without too much heat, but nothing has worked thus far. Are there any other options that I'm not thinking of?

Thank you for your help and advice!

We have a tp 4060 1750kv in a notorious and it does just fine geared iirc 23/50 on 6s. It's paired with a 150a spektrum esc at the moment. With 2x 40mm fans.

We have a tp 4060 1750kv in a notorious and it does just fine geared iirc 23/50 on 6s. It's paired with a 150a spektrum esc at the moment. With 2x 40mm fans.
I was thinking that it could potentially be that I was running 5s when the motor can take 6, and therefore the amp draw is a bit more. But I also want to move the 4060 to another rig just because it is too heavy running 5s in the Big Rock.. That's why I'm looking for an alternative

Hello all,

So to sum this up, I've been trying to make a very over powered big rock for a while now. I started with a TP 4050 2830kv D wind on 4s. It had a ton of power, but overheated too quickly, and really heated up the esc as well. I then tried an old Castle 1515 2200kv on 4s with a 24 tooth pinion and got 57mph with much better temps, but it didn't feel like it had enough torque and was still too hot for running in grass, not to mention making my battery sag to lvc way too quickly. I then ordered a TP 4060 1730kv, and ran it on 5s with a 24 tooth pinion. This motor gave enough torque, but it also heated up too much. After about 5 minutes of runtime in grass it was at 180 degrees. Since then I added a fan, and dropped the pinion down to a 20 tooth and now I barely hit 130 degrees, but running that big of a motor and 2 batteries for 5s just makes the truck too heavy.

I'm just very confused by all of this, and not sure what to buy for the final motor in this truck. It's very odd to me that a Castle 1515 was able to push the 24t pinion and the TP 4060 was not... i was going to look at the TP 4050 2100kv, try it on 5s and hope that it would lower the amp draw, but since it's bigger brother had problems pushing the 24t around I'm thinking it might as well.

To summarize, I've tried a bunch of setups I thought would work and get me to my goal of 60+mph on and offroad without too much heat, but nothing has worked thus far. Are there any other options that I'm not thinking of?

Thank you for your help and advice!
I'll try not to be pessimistic, but I don't think the 4x4s are very good for ripping around in the grass. The lower ride height and lower mass (weight) mean they drag alot more and have less momentum than the 6s line, which alot of those motors you listed would be intended to go in. From personal experience, I frequently drive in very silty, loose dirt area. If I take my 1/8 scale trucks, they roll right over the stuff. If I take my blx big rock, I spend half the time "plowing" through the dirt and using alot more throttle, comparatively. That means more amps to get that power and more heat.

Also, since the point of the plastics in the 3s line is to reduce weight, there are some diminishing returns with adding more power. More power is usually more weight (larger motor/esc/batteries). It affects the 6s line some, but affects the 3s line alot since they are respectively already light to begin with.

If you're looking to run on grass with the 3s line, I think the best thing you could try to do is shave weight and run higher volts. You could try 6s with one of the lighter weight motors you listed and experiment with a lighter weight 6s battery? You'd get power from the volts, and the reduced mass would theoretically make less drag.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back