Mould making help please!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbon_kisbee

Reaction score
I want to make a mould for the forged carbon part I want to make but I’m not sure how to do it because the mounting clips are gonna be the hardest part to copy. And I have to make sure the mould will release from the part I want to copy (see the photo most upper right clip) There are four of these clips. How can I properly make a mould that has all the essential mounting points and clips and still make sure it will release? And what material is ideal for the mould making job in this case?😅😅

greetings Noah

E8D60979-5F9A-4533-93A9-731D7A5FA434.png

I want to make a mould for the forged carbon part I want to make but I’m not sure how to do it because the mounting clips are gonna be the hardest part to copy. And I have to make sure the mould will release from the part I want to copy (see the photo most upper right clip) There are four of these clips. How can I properly make a mould that has all the essential mounting points and clips and still make sure it will release? And what material is ideal for the mould making job in this case?😅😅

greetings Noah

View attachment 249730

Hello Noah,
Welcome to the Ranch!

To best answer your questions, You have to make some decisions...

1. The Easiest way-
is to have the AutoCAD file of the part you want to reproduce.
Then you would just slice it into two halves - outer and inner.
Have a shop create a die and you can injection mold as many of those pieces as you would like.
Effortlessly.

2. If you prefer to do it by hand.. For one-off item..
Then there's this method (Granted it's on a small auto part, but the steps are the same.) >

3. Or here's another way ,if you want to have repeatability.. >

4. And lastly if you want maximum Detail in your part(s) ,consider this method >

Each one will have different levels of costs involved.
You must decide how much effort (elbow grease) or coins you like to invest.

... And what material is ideal for the mould making job in this case?😅😅

greetings Noah

View attachment 249730

Oh and to answer your last question..

It depends on how many copies you intend to make.
If for example you are wanting to make the mould from 3D Printing AND you just need to make one or two units from it, then you can use regular PLA or PLA+.

If you need to make more than a dozen, then you'll want to use Carbon Fiber infused filaments like-

BASF Black Ultrafuse PAHT CF (Carbon Fiber Nylon) Filament

or

NylonX Carbon Fiber Filament

Keep us posted on which method you end up trying.
Good luck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back