Mr. Duke - Project X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rough prototype..

IMG_20230707_092207713_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230707_092154664_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230707_092245921_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230707_095015845.jpg

Just to test out general proportions..

I haven't forgotten you @Mr.Duke

1690939717866.png

1690939969622.png

1690940003342.png

Been a bit busy lately.

I want to make sure the inner structure is as hardy as possible.
To be able to handle you using a bow or a rifle.. At least that's the vision/plan that I have in mind...

Plus, it will have both inner frame and outer "modules/shells" for customizability.

Getting real close..

Will need to send one over a unit -for a fitment check/test before I finalize the complete prosthetic kit.

It will have modular parts for adjustability and for ease of repair (if needed)

Plus, to be able to add attachments / enhancements.. 😜

IMG_20230805_215233058.jpg

Older iterations on the left..
IMG_20230805_215140520.jpg

IMG_20230805_215148241.jpg

Current iteration-
IMG_20230805_215210048.jpg

IMG_20230805_215203657.jpg

I did make sure the distal digit (finger tip) can easily slip into the trigger of a RC transmitter and for proper pew pews articulations 😉

IMG_20230805_220130884.jpg

IMG_20230805_220123068.jpg

IMG_20230805_220118235.jpg

IMG_20230805_220109115.jpg

IMG_20230805_220055961.jpg

Additionally , I ordered some Titanium cables for use as the "tendons" , should be here soon...

They Should be robust enough to handle daily (Real World) usage on a Farm/Ranch.
💪🤠👍

Made some refinements to the mechanical finger -

Should provide better protection to the "extensors" and offer a bit more fine tuning for better articulations..

IMG_20230817_192000986_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230817_192006608_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230817_192102958.jpg

Here's the prototype "proximal cup" for test fitting..
IMG_20230817_192112594.jpg

IMG_20230817_192124687.jpg

IMG_20230817_192135638.jpg

Will get them all packaged up and shipped tomorrow or next day.
Look forward to seeing how close I got -to Mr. Duke's finger measurements..

@Tex Koder , I know you went through a bunch here to accomplish this, but if you had looked on thingiverse there is a modular digit there, I printed one for a friend.. just have to punch in measurement data.. uses Paracord as a return tendon, and spider wire attached to a bracelet as the pull tendon...

@Tex Koder , I know you went through a bunch here to accomplish this, but if you had looked on thingiverse there is a modular digit there, I printed one for a friend.. just have to punch in measurement data.. uses Paracord as a return tendon, and spider wire attached to a bracelet as the pull tendon...

Thank you, sir.

Yes.
I've seen and have printed other samples of hands/fingers from Thingiverse.

They all are good for basic usage for young adults and definitely little kids because of the expectant hand-pressures exerted and the light lifting or handling of pencils, cups, etc.
Such light duties or basic manipulations are done with those prosthetics.

From what I know/understand of Mr.Duke and how he will be working in his daily life..
He's going to be putting this mechanical finger to work with his heavy machinery, grasping items that's going to weight a good 20-40lbs or more ,plus he'll need more articulations in his finger if he intends to have fine motorcontrol of triggers, dials etc - as in his RC transmitters or such similar devices..

If you take a look at the current available offerings (that's Not Myoelectric designs) they're not possible to curl up the finger tip -distal digit- all the way back to articulate a RC trigger proportionally (they are at a FIXED angle ,Non-moving) ,let alone slide the finger tip into one. At least not at the size of his hand.

Those that can are quite delicate in parts from what I have tested. Those joints are -held together- with plastic printed pins (or just a thin filament) which will snap/break when you apply no more than 10lbs of pressure. Or if you twist it at a slightly off angle than what it was designed to bend.. it will cause cracks at those joint hinges or completely snap in half.

The sample I created & have sent to Mr. Duke.. is for Sizing and test Fitment (not final version) so it may not look hearty enough to survive his daily use.

But, once I gather more data on how it fits his index finger and its proportions ,I will produce the final prosthetic with sealed ball bearings, M3 bolts and medical grade nitinol(nickel-titanium) cables so it will provide him with a better work cycle/utility during his daily chores on his ranch.

At least that's what I envision.
We will have to see ..once the final prosthetic is "installed" on His hand..

Last edited:
Thank you, sir.

Yes.
I've seen and have printed other samples of hands/fingers from Thingiverse.

They all are good for basic usage for young adults and definitely little kids because of the expectant hand-pressures exerted and the light lifting or handling of pencils, cups, etc.
Such light duties or basic manipulations are done with those prosthetics.

From what I know/understand of Mr.Duke and how he will be working in his daily life..
He's going to be putting this mechanical finger to work with his heavy machinery, grasping items that's going to weight a good 20-40lbs or more ,plus he'll need more articulations in his finger if he intends to have fine motorcontrol of triggers, dials etc - as in his RC transmitters or such similar devices..

If you take a look at the current available offerings (that's Not Myoelectric designs) they're not possible to curl up the finger tip -distal digit- all the way back to articulate a RC trigger proportionally (they are at a FIXED angle ,Non-moving) ,let alone slide the finger tip into one. At least not at the size of his hand.

Those that can are quite delicate in parts from what I have tested. Those joints are -held together- with plastic printed pins (or just a thin filament) which will snap/break when you apply no more than 10lbs of pressure. Or if you twist it at a slightly off angle than what it was designed to bend.. it will cause cracks at those joint hinges or completely snap in half.

The sample I created & have sent to Mr. Duke.. is for Sizing and test Fitment (not final version) so it may not look hearty enough to survive his daily use.

But, once I gather more data on how it fits his index finger and its proportions ,I will produce the final prosthetic with sealed ball bearings, M3 bolts and medical grade nitinol(nickel-titanium) cables so it will provide him with a better work cycle/utility during his daily chores on his ranch.

At least that's what I envision.
We will have to see ..once the final prosthetic is "installed" on His hand..

Hmm, the one I made for my buddy had every section of finger that operated as a normal finger..🤔... It was composed of all the sections, stainless pins at the joints, tpu interchangeable tips.. it was quite rugged.. I will say that the grip was definitely not of a human grip, but the operating tendon and secure point could have been altered to add more pressure.. he is a paver for a living and he used it on a daily basis, even raking tar..

Our biggest hurdle was securing the base to his digit as he lost his close to the palm..

I'll see if I can find the file for ya.. if anything maybe you can get some ideas from it if you haven't seen it

Hmm, the one I made for my buddy had every section of finger that operated as a normal finger..🤔... It was composed of all the sections, stainless pins at the joints, tpu interchangeable tips.. it was quite rugged.. I will say that the grip was definitely not of a human grip, but the operating tendon and secure point could have been altered to add more pressure.. he is a paver for a living and he used it on a daily basis, even raking tar..

Our biggest hurdle was securing the base to his digit as he lost his close to the palm..

I'll see if I can find the file for ya.. if anything maybe you can get some ideas from it if you haven't seen it

Please do.
I'm not opposed to a more capable finger. 👊😉

@Tex Koder It was great talking to you this evening while going over the fitment details of this prototype. I couldn’t be happier with how this project is coming along.
9CD8C469-79BC-465C-B4F2-00FC6485F775.jpeg
86701E36-7F3A-42CB-81A6-A280755CA5B8.jpeg
3CC3280C-9E24-4CFB-A609-3F2B65281EB9.png
58ED88CC-E75D-4F8B-B84F-B6F9E9E5D9E2.jpeg

Thank you for all you’ve done for me on this one. I truly appreciate this forum and how it’s members bond together to overcome damn near anything life can throw at you. You sir are a shining example of what this place represents for me personally. Your attention to detail is impeccable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back