Kraton MT410 and Kraton EXB motor swap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
I've got the standard 6s package (4074 motor, 150a firma) in my kraton exb. I need a motor for my MT410 build since the 2650kv I had planned originally for it is too high, and since I'll be running copperheads on it. Is the 2050kv from the kraton a good choice for that mt410 setup (running 4s on lowest pinion possible--15t)?

Could I run into heat issues with that? And if I use that motor in the mt410, I'd need a motor for the kraton...

I like the idea of doing a 4092 in the kraton and then gearing for torque, but all the 4092s and 4082s come with 6.5mm bullet connectors which don't pair with the firma 150a (4mm bullets). I don't have the budget for a max6, otherwise I wouldnt be posting this in the first place :D

Either the swap is a good idea for the mt410 and I buy an upgrade motor for the kraton (preferred), or leave the kraton as is and find a suitable motor for the mt410 (cheapest option). I'd like to upgrade the kraton motor while I have a reason to, but I'm struggling with this one. Thoughts appreciated.

According to my many hours of online research (which isn’t worth much), you’ll be right on the fence with that MT410 setup.

It’s geared high and it sucks that you can’t go smaller than 15T pinion. Tekno recommends a 2000kv 4274 with backflip LP size tires. But your tires are much bigger. I’d probably go for a lower kv motor. 1700kv-ish?

That being said, you already have all the pieces so why not try it?

I ran a Spektrum 6s system on the MT410 with Backflip LP tires and that worked fine. I did run a motor fan and had no issues with temperature. Not sure about the combination with copperheads. Also FWIW, it’s not very difficult to swap the 4mm connectors witH 6.5 mm or you can buy a 4mm to 6.5mm cable set to go in between them.

According to my many hours of online research (which isn’t worth much), you’ll be right on the fence with that MT410 setup.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I didnt much like that the gearing selection was limited as it is, but nothing I can do about that. I agree I'm leaning towards something in the 1600 to 1800kv range and then gear to suite my needs, so think my kraton might stay stock for now.
I ran a Spektrum 6s system on the MT410 with Backflip LP tires and that worked fine. I did run a motor fan and had no issues with temperature. Not sure about the combination with copperheads. Also FWIW, it’s not very difficult to swap the 4mm connectors witH 6.5 mm or you can buy a 4mm to 6.5mm cable set to go in between them.
*Gasp* and use an adapter cable??? I can see the throngs of forum already closing in for the kill... (sarcasm)

But yeah, it would PROBABLY be best to start with a more reasonable set up and work my way up from there. Sounds like I'll probably go the less exciting route for the mt410 motor. Are there any motor restrictions you're aware of for the mt410? (Diameter?, like "40mm max, no fins", or length?) Looking at some 4268 (w/ fins) rocket motors out there.

But yeah, it would PROBABLY be best to start with a more reasonable set up and work my way up from there. Sounds like I'll probably go the less exciting route for the mt410 motor. Are there any motor restrictions you're aware of for the mt410? (Diameter?, like "40mm max, no fins", or length?) Looking at some 4268 (w/ fins) rocket motors out there.

As far as motor restrictions, the biggest one is going to be length unless you are willing to relocate the ESC. Below are a Hobbywing 4274 and Leopard 4275 motor and you can see how close it gets to the ESC. I think 40/42mm motors are probably going to be the biggest you can put in but I have not tried anything larger.

88E69798-5A77-40A5-A637-1033BB6EDE4F.jpeg
05A1F24D-F032-475F-8ADC-7AD9B8E6A564.jpeg

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/product-page/4mm-male-to-6-5mm-female-motor-wire-adapter

Works great, I used it on my typhon 3s with a 150a spektrum and a tp 4040
Everything I’ve bought from Radio Control Power has been top notch. Highly recommend.
Are there any motor restrictions you're aware of for the mt410? (Diameter?, like "40mm max, no fins", or length?) Looking at some 4268 (w/ fins) rocket motors out there.
The motor is already up against the chassis brace at 42mm diameter and 15T, so you’d have to pinion up with a wider motor. It does look like there’s room otherwise though.

I’d go for the extra torque of a 4274 over 4268. Especially with big tires.

Length is a tight fit though. I bought a Tekin truggy motor (77mm long, oops) to pair with my MMX6 and there’s a whopping 1.5mm gap between motor and ESC.

Last edited:
As far as motor restrictions, the biggest one is going to be length unless you are willing to relocate the ESC. Below are a Hobbywing 4274 and Leopard 4275 motor and you can see how close it gets to the ESC. I think 40/42mm motors are probably going to be the biggest you can put in but I have not tried anything larger.

View attachment 222295View attachment 222296
Good to know a 76mm motor would fit. I saw this sale for a surpass 4076 and will probably snag it to get the mt410 up and running. It's at a price that's hard to pass on.

https://usa.banggood.com/Surpass-Ho....html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=521072&rmmds=search

I was after the 1700kv, but they only have the 1350kv in stock still. With the 1350kv it looks like i would need to run something like a 21 or 22t pinion (off the top of my head). Any thoughts?

Good to know a 76mm motor would fit. I saw this sale for a surpass 4076 and will probably snag it to get the mt410 up and running. It's at a price that's hard to pass on.

https://usa.banggood.com/Surpass-Ho....html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=521072&rmmds=search

I was after the 1700kv, but they only have the 1350kv in stock still. With the 1350kv it looks like i would need to run something like a 21 or 22t pinion (off the top of my head). Any thoughts?

Just stepping back for a second - are you going to be running 4S or 6S? I should have clarified that I ran my Spektrum system on 4S before replacing it with the Leopard/Torox combo.

Just stepping back for a second - are you going to be running 4S or 6S? I should have clarified that I ran my Spektrum system on 4S before replacing it with the Leopard/Torox combo.
(running 4s on lowest pinion possible--15t)
I plan on 4s (minus the pinion bit there). From everything i've read, that will be plenty.

Ahh, sorry - missed that. Seems a bit low for 4S but that's just a somewhat educated guess on my part without any practical experience to back it up.
Good point. That would top out around 20k rpm, which does seem low. I hate being a sucker for big sales.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back