Kraton Mugen MBX8 Diffs In Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vman38

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi Guys

I have installed the Mugen MBX8 straight cut diffs all round in my modified V1 Kraton. Was getting tired of busting the side gears in the Arrma diffs. I am running the Leopard 1480kv motor 16 t pinion and the 185 blx esc with cap pack on 6s.

Had to buy different bearings to install the Mugen input gear in the Arrma gearbox and dremmel a bit off the back face of the input gear to get it sitting flush to the bearing so that it doesn't rub on the diff case. Everything now fits perfect.

I had my first test run last night and - wow man that thing rips! I was having great fun for about 20 mins until I had one bad landing and the front rhs diff cup split off!
DSC_2378.JPG

Looks like the Mugen cups are hard but brittle. To be fair it was my bad for the landing and also hopefully it was just a weak drive cup. I have ordered 2 more cups to be here in a couple of weeks so will have another go at it.
DSC_2379.JPG

I will post more details for you guys if I have any success in getting this sorted and tested for a good few weeks.

Do any of you guys know of a stronger diff cup with a 6mm shaft that would fit the Mugen diff?
Thanks.

Nice build man!
I'm happy with the Team Durango diff cups (part number TD310480).
But i understood they are hard to get outside of Europe.
Thanks! Do the TD diff cups have 6mm shafts? Thanks

Do any of you guys know of a stronger diff cup with a 6mm shaft that would fit the Mugen diff?
I run 6S/2000kv on my Mugen and haven't had any issues with outdrives. Is the Arrma driveshaft pin centered in the Mugen outdrive? As in not too deep or too shallow.

I run 6S/2000kv on my Mugen and haven't had any issues with outdrives. Is the Arrma driveshaft pin centered in the Mugen outdrive? As in not too deep or too shallow.
I will have a look when I get home tonight. I suppose in theory if the driveshaft is sitting too far out from the center of the cup it will gain extra leverage in there a cause it to fracture like in my case. If I take a bit of material off the top and bottom A-arms at the pillow ball end to reduce the length of them that would let the drive pin engage further into the cup which should reduce the stresses.? I did notice that the depth of the slots on the mugen cups do seem to be cut deeper that the Arrma ones. Now that has got the old brain ticking - thanks for the tip!?
Are you sure mugen gear is more durable?
I hope so and I intend to find out! I'm sorry to say it has not been a great start but hopefully this is just a teething problem. I will just keep trying!?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back