Mugen MBX8TE Truggy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bright mica red (Ferrari)

0AA01258-FB8B-42A9-9A8E-CDF093499C15.jpeg

Found these cool little adhesive backed wire holders from McMaster.

66286D98-9038-456E-A2D3-80D51ED622DD.jpeg

I was out of space in the receiver box for the fan wires, so this holder keeps the wires from flopping around.

C9D22EA8-43AE-4AA4-B1FE-743507250DCF.jpeg

5/16” fiber washers

9043FCC1-08B1-48F5-8D6A-3EE93B34EC9A.jpeg

Gorilla taped

B1C1EAC3-A428-41B8-B40E-50458C034D2D.jpeg

Proline thumbwashers

71248F38-9A66-4B3A-9939-A77CAA45F0A1.jpeg

And finally finished, with kevlar belted Badlands.

865AC3D3-F2D0-4B1E-9DE9-167DA2289BFE.jpeg

After years of building Tekno truggies, I wanted to try something new, so I picked up a lightly used Mugen MBX8TE roller. I haven't seen anyone build one of these for hard bashing, so this will be a new challenge. :)

View attachment 47603

Tekno stock (left) vs Mugen (right)

Both are 7075. The Mugen chassis is only 3mm thick compared to 4mm on the Tekno, however it doesn't have a bunch of milled out pockets, is wider, and has side bends. Nothing compares to the aftermarket offerings from M2C but it does look like a good stock chassis. It's nice to see Mugen finally keyed the chassis for the steering posts unlike the older 7 series.

View attachment 47604

Mugen (left) vs Tekno (right)

The biggest change with the MBX8 series is the new beefy arm construction and inserts. The older 7 series always had issues with their arms breaking. The arms come with plastic inserts and they also have carbon fiber as an option.

View attachment 47605

Mugen (left) vs Tekno (right)

Both are 7075. The Mugen front shock tower design is a good bit lower and the Tekno is a little thicker.

View attachment 47606

Mugen (left, 4.15mm thick) vs Tekno (right, 6.6mm thick)

Both are 7075. The Mugen rear shock tower has quite a range of adjust-ability in the wing height and the Tekno is quite a bit thicker.

View attachment 47607

King Headz Associated RC8B3 Rear Chassis Brace Mount (7075)

For whatever reason King Headz does not make these for the MBX8 series, only the 7 series. The difference in parts is the 8 series changed to M4 holes in the gearbox, whereas the 7 series used M3. Associated copied Mugen with their car so some parts can be made to fit, and King Headz makes this mount with M4 holes.

View attachment 47611

I had to trim the rear section for the proper fitment.

View attachment 47618

King Headz Mugen MBX7 Rear Chassis Brace (7075)

Again, King Headz does not make these for the MBX8 series truggy, only the 7 series buggy. So, I had to drill a countersunk hole in the chassis for the slightly shorter hole distance.

View attachment 47619

The Associated mount positions the chassis brace just a hair to the side, you don't go by the original hole location.

View attachment 47620

And there she is, it's bash worthy now. :) I like the King Headz design with the captured nut, the nut cannot rotate.

View attachment 47621

Connected.

View attachment 47622

M2C made this very nice aluminum steering top plate for the 7 series. Again on the MBX8 series, I had to trim the underside for the proper fitment and drill out the 2 holes that connect to the gearbox to 4mm.

View attachment 47623

Connected.

View attachment 47624

The Mugen CVD driveshaft's are only 3.5mm thick. So I discovered the ability to use the Losi LST 5mm driveshafts, much thicker indeed. I also tried the Arrma 5mm driveshafts which is what I use on my Teknos, but they were too long.

View attachment 47625

I use 2 shims over the stub axle in order to have the correct dogbone depth in the outdrive.

View attachment 47626

Uses all stock bearings.

View attachment 47627

Then I used a 8.7mm wide spacer behind the hex, the Losi stub axle is longer.

View attachment 47628

Connected.

View attachment 47629

Fits like a glove.

View attachment 47630
Damn, that was a really well done thread! good job @0verkill !

View attachment 52627

I was out of space in the receiver box for the fan wires, so this holder keeps the wires from flopping around.

View attachment 52628

5/16” fiber washers

View attachment 52629

Gorilla taped

View attachment 52630

Proline thumbwashers

View attachment 52631

View attachment 52632
so clean.

View attachment 52627

View attachment 52628

5/16” fiber washers

View attachment 52629

Gorilla taped

View attachment 52630

Proline thumbwashers

View attachment 52631

View attachment 52632
So amazing to watch from start to finish. Makes the idea of running RTR seem empty. Can't wait to find out how it all holds up when you start throwing it around.

I would love to know how it compares to the ET48.3 in terms of handling and durability
Any updates @0verkill ? How does this compare to the ET?
They both handle amazing. The stock Tekno chassis has a very "flick able" feeling since it's skinnier. I'm running the M2C Tekno wide chassis on the truck in the above video. I have yet to find a weak point on the Mugen, it's a very solid built truck. So far the durability looks just as good as Tekno. The stock chassis is proving to be very durable with all the braces, which is very refreshing. The differential gear wear rate etc won't be known until later on down the road.

FYI, RCMart sells this kit for $560. http://www.rcmart.com/mugen-seiki-e2024-mbx8t-truggy-offroad-p-80507.html?cPath=420_1165

Amain sells it for $730. I'm not sure how they're able to do it but that's a major price difference obviously and parts are cheaper there too.

Last edited:
They both handle amazing. The stock Tekno chassis has a very "flick able" feeling since it's skinnier. I'm running the M2C Tekno wide chassis on the truck in the above video. I have yet to find a weak point on the Mugen, it's a very solid built truck. So far the durability looks just as good as Tekno. The stock chassis is proving to be very durable with all the braces, which is very refreshing. The differential gear wear rate etc won't be known until later on down the road.

FYI, RCMart sells this kit for $560. http://www.rcmart.com/mugen-seiki-e2024-mbx8t-truggy-offroad-p-80507.html?cPath=420_1165

Amain sells it for $730. I'm not sure how they're able to do it but that's a major price difference obviously and parts are cheaper there too.

Wow, thats a huge price difference. Thanks for the link. You were a big reason I bought the Tekno so I’d say I will eventually but the Mugen too lol.

I’m glad to hear it’s been treating you well. All of the design work up front on both platforms has been greatly appreciated ?

Wow, thats a huge price difference. Thanks for the link. You were a big reason I bought the Tekno so I’d say I will eventually but the Mugen too lol.

I’m glad to hear it’s been treating you well. All of the design work up front on both platforms has been greatly appreciated ?
Thank you (y) (y)

Awesome writeup thank you! If you had to choose just one box stock, which would you take? I’m not going to be doing any racing just bashing around a medium size track with some size-able jumps.

Awesome writeup thank you! If you had to choose just one box stock, which would you take? I’m not going to be doing any racing just bashing around a medium size track with some size-able jumps.
Stock vs stock, I would probably choose the Mugen. This newer version Mugen has some nicer features over the older ET48.3.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back