Typhon My 3s converted typhon mega 550

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_typhon

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Typhon mega 550
3s blx diffs
3s blx slipper assembly
3s blx 13t hd drives
3s high speed shaft support and bearing
3s motor heatsink
Adjustable arrma mega motor mount
Arrma 20t mod 0.8 pinion
Hobbywing max10sct 120 amp and
3660 4000kv motor
LRP 1:8 Scale alloy buggy shocks
Proline Mx28 badlands and disc wheels

Attachments

• inbound7767284295170802591.jpg
    inbound7767284295170802591.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 118
  • inbound7820811886631655557.jpg
    inbound7820811886631655557.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 95
  • inbound5550195077472224238.jpg
    inbound5550195077472224238.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 94
  • inbound2848141695879837774.jpg
    inbound2848141695879837774.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 96
Typhon mega 550
3s blx diffs
3s blx slipper assembly
3s blx 13t hd drives
3s motor heatsink
Arrma 20t mod 0.8 pinion
3660 4000kv motor
What’s the difference between 3s diffs and the mega diffs????

Everything I have read here says yes.

I have never seen a clear answer as to whether they are oil filled or not and we replaced ours with pre assembled blx diffs so I cannot confirm.
. Yea me either I’m guessing I’ll just take mine apart and see but I’ve never seen one with oil in it
I was looking at the hot racing diffs then I realized it be over 220 for front and rear Midas we’ll get another car

Last edited:
. Yea me either I’m guessing I’ll just take mine apart and see but I’ve never seen one with oil in it
I was looking at the hot racing diffs then I realized it be over 220 for front and rear Midas we’ll get another car
Bro. I got them for 13 bucks a piece at Jenny's rc. And two input gears to match was only another 12 bucks

50 bucks. Delivered. Blx diffs fully assembled and input gears stock bearing included
Also: I saw on another thread: just take them apart and put oil in.

The caveat was do not overfill them or you might fiddlestick up the casing tightening it up.

I read somewhere that the stock 3S blx oil was 60K and the 4S was 100k but another guy on here put 30K and 15K can't remember which front and back in his mega diffs and is pushing stupid battery packs through his truck.

Bro. I got them for 13 bucks a piece at Jenny's rc. And two input gears to match was only another 12 bucks

50 bucks. Delivered. Blx diffs fully assembled and input gears stock bearing included
Also: I saw on another thread: just take them apart and put oil in.

The caveat was do not overfill them or you might fiddlestick up the casing tightening it up.

I read somewhere that the stock 3S blx oil was 60K and the 4S was 100k but another guy on here put 30K and 15K can't remember which front and back in his mega diffs and is pushing stupid battery packs through his truck.
So this Jenny’s rc I look for blx diffs

Jenny's is sold out of everything right now.

So if I was able to track down the case and input gear, the internals carry over, right? Should I be able to just swap the case?

Hows that motor working for you? Does it get hot? Seems like high Kv for a typhon but are you running 2s batts or 3s? Looking to do the same swap soon with an old 2200kv Castle motor, but don't think it will fit well

Typhon mega 550
3s blx diffs
3s blx slipper assembly
3s blx 13t hd drives
3s motor heatsink
Arrma 20t mod 0.8 pinion
3660 4000kv motor
Ok what did you use for your spool gear cause my son bought a mega without researching and thought he would use my left over 6s motor and esc from my putting a xlx in my limitless I had 6s blx esc and motor on my shelf thinking use dads motor and esc he would have a 6s Typhon for the price of $230.
He would actually basicly get a 6s typhon with a brushed motor and esc (he thought that's what the mega was) with everything else remaining the same.
I wasn't talked to for advice before he and his mom bought it.

Lol ? ? they will talk to dad before there future purchases I guarantee it haha I still get a kick out of the mentality of teenagers parents don't know nothing to them lol.

Anyway what would you recommend I figure since he's stuck with it now go on and atleast drop a 3s into it.

Normally I would never tell someone to buy the mega to do the convert to 3s doesn't make sense to me however seeing were stuck with it, then 3s to save face. So I bought all we need to do it got it running but clearly the plastic spool gear won't make it 2 min on the road or grass or anywhere other then on the rack (that's how we keep all our RC's when there not being run) that its sitting on.
So do I just get whatever they use in a 3s typhon if so it's like $40-45ish I think kinda pricey for a 3s gear I buy mod 1 spool gears all day for $12-$25 for my limitless. If that's the way then why so pricey I wonder and if there's a cheaper or better way what is it? I would appreciate any feedback or comments or advice thank you.

Can I put oil in the mega diffs
Yes i did until i upgraded to hot racing helical steel gears. Recommend 30k front, 10k rear.

How did you tidy the cables ? i am playing tetris trying to find the best solution,i have a similar setup to yours....
Check this out. Simple cable tie.
16020777317347802908805261767614.jpg

Last edited:
Ok what did you use for your spool gear cause my son bought a mega without researching and thought he would use my left over 6s motor and esc from my putting a xlx in my limitless I had 6s blx esc and motor on my shelf thinking use dads motor and esc he would have a 6s Typhon for the price of $230.
He would actually basicly get a 6s typhon with a brushed motor and esc (he thought that's what the mega was) with everything else remaining the same.
I wasn't talked to for advice before he and his mom bought it.

Lol ? ? they will talk to dad before there future purchases I guarantee it haha I still get a kick out of the mentality of teenagers parents don't know nothing to them lol.

Anyway what would you recommend I figure since he's stuck with it now go on and atleast drop a 3s into it.

Normally I would never tell someone to buy the mega to do the convert to 3s doesn't make sense to me however seeing were stuck with it, then 3s to save face. So I bought all we need to do it got it running but clearly the plastic spool gear won't make it 2 min on the road or grass or anywhere other then on the rack (that's how we keep all our RC's when there not being run) that its sitting on.
So do I just get whatever they use in a 3s typhon if so it's like $40-45ish I think kinda pricey for a 3s gear I buy mod 1 spool gears all day for $12-$25 for my limitless. If that's the way then why so pricey I wonder and if there's a cheaper or better way what is it? I would appreciate any feedback or comments or advice thank you.
If he got the newest version (with the SLT3 radio) then pick up a MAX10SCT combo, a Hexfly 25kg servo and call it done. If he has the older version with the STX2, then you need to add a BLX slipper assembly, BLX diffs, and a decent radio (like the Dumbo 6X).

If he has the newer version, it has the 32p spur gear. Yes, it is plastic, but it will hold up good to general bashing. If you are worried, you can always pick up the BLX4s spur - same slipper, but the gear is metal.

If he got the newest version (with the SLT3 radio) then pick up a MAX10SCT combo, a Hexfly 25kg servo and call it done. If he has the older version with the STX2, then you need to add a BLX slipper assembly, BLX diffs, and a decent radio (like the Dumbo 6X).

If he has the newer version, it has the 32p spur gear. Yes, it is plastic, but it will hold up good to general bashing. If you are worried, you can always pick up the BLX4s spur - same slipper, but the gear is metal.
Second all of this. You can see I have the Max10 sct esc in mine currently. Only additional bit of info - 4s metal slipper requires one extra slipper pad otherwise it bounces around inside the power module!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back