Big Rock My 3s rig is starting to feel slow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigrayzrc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
Now that I got a taste of 6s my arrma big rock feels so slow. 4s time?

Good luck. Will cost you much to update it to 4s durability. It's just not the ESC and motor that you will need, to do this.
Go for it. You won't be the first.(y)
Just that these are 2 different platforms altogether. Careful with your expectations of both . Be realistic.:unsure:

Good luck. Will cost you much to update it to 4s durability. It's just not the ESC and motor that you will need, to do this.
Go for it. You won't be the first.(y)
Just that these are 2 different platforms altogether. Careful with your expectations of both . Be realistic.:unsure:
I might just sell it and get me a 4s outcast. I was eyeing the 4s trucks when I went to the hobby shop but I ended up getting the big rock cause it was in that period when for some reason arrma quit making the 4s line.

I personally don’t think the arrma 3S/4S platform is worth upgrading to bigger power systems. It just costs so much money and time in upgrades and the end result is still lacking.

For a smaller, durable option, I’d buy a 6S Typhon and run it on 4S.

My TLRT Typhon all day long on 4s. And 22/50 gets me 58 mph. Plenty fast enough, and yet still driveable. Even runs cool with one 40mm motor fan.
It is all too easy to overpower a rig these days. There should be a comfortable balance of weight to power IMHO. How I RC at least. Otherwise the drivetrain takes the hit, all while just spinning your wheels, and while the rig is driving You...not the other way around. With overpowered rigs you spend time controlling/reacting to the rig. The rig should always react to your input.
But we all do it differently.:cool:

Last edited:
I personally don’t think the arrma 3S/4S platform is worth upgrading to bigger power systems. It just costs so much money and time in upgrades and the end result is still lacking.

That is a good point. Them 4s rigs cost almost as much as the typhon

I'd say learn to enjoy the 3s rigs for what they are. They aren't going to be as fast or capable as the 6s line, but they will generally be cheaper to repair and better suited for surviving hard impacts, imo. Thats why I use them as my skate park bashers. If you only enjoy going fast, then perhaps the 3s line isn't right for you anymore, and you could sell like you mentioned.

Typhon 6s, whether RTR, TLRT Roller or TLRT RTR. All pretty much are the bargain Arrma rigs.
If done right, you can keep a Typhon light. I feel anything under 9 pounds is super light. And it is a fairly versatile buggy platform

Typhon 6s, whether RTR, TLRT Roller or TLRT RTR. All pretty much are the bargain Arrma rigs.
If done right, you can keep a Typhon light. I feel anything under 9 pounds is super light. And it is a fairly versatile buggy platform
I think the TLRT roller paired with the new Hobbywing sensored Max8 G2 would be amazing. I love the HW max8G2 in my kraton 6s, and in my friends felony. I feel the TLRT RTR misses the mark a tad, if Arrma put a Spektrum branded sensored max8 in it I would be a something really special for an RTR package.

Keep them separate I paid more to go 4S on rigs to find out they are correctly suited for 3S. They are great for locations where the Kraton or Fireteam are too big and limited space.

Right, sell them and put the money on another 6S

Last edited:
I love my 6s Typhon on 4S, it’s a good value for what it is, sure it’s a little heavy but it’s durable.

The Typhons 325mm WB and narrow track makes it a great candidate for different bodies from rally cars to 1/10 SCT bodies.
why would you run a 6s rig w 4s? Is 6s for speed runs? does it keep it cooler so you can run as long as you want without worrying about temps?

thanks!

If you want to get into 6s relatively inexpensively, look at Corally vehicles: I bought two of them for under $400 each when they were on sale. I have a Radix6 buggy and a Muraco truggy (similar to a Talion). The Corally vehicles are faster and more controllable than the equivalent Arrma vehicles, but you give up a slight bit of durability (not much) with Corally. They both run great on 4s and are beasts on 6s (I run mine both ways). Link to Muraco below.

https://rchobbyexplosion.com/team-corally-1-8-muraco-xp-6s-4wd-lwb-brushless-truggy-c-00176/

why would you run a 6s rig w 4s? Is 6s for speed runs? does it keep it cooler so you can run as long as you want without worrying about temps?

thanks!

This varies on what you want to do. I can only speak for myself if I speak to my Typhon TLR, which is a 6S, but I run as a 4S and have the same electronics as my best friend Typhon v5 6S.

It was for temp and weight. I run it at 4S, but I have a much larger pinion over his stock pinion. I have the same take-off and mid-range speed as he does...yes he has more top end since he is 6S, but on our track, there is no room to get 55-60mph...long straights or speed runs we do not do. It's about jumps, turns, drifts, banking, etc. I will say my 4S does beat him, and he does get me as well all comes down to driving skills. His 6S has no advantage in our setup. I would say he is overpowered where, as I can throttle and go.

Point. He gets hot and hit thermal cut off, and I never get anywhere in his temp range with equalizing power as his on my 4S and less weight with his heavier battery.

If you compete, which I do not, your 6S rig must run as 4S.

thanks!
Running 4s in a 6s rig is fine. 6s is ok. Also depending on the space you have there. Just everyone wants all that power and speed. Breaking more because they are harder to control. I like a rig that can use the whole throttle range. I don't like that "hair trigger" throttle. Just a slight tap of the throttle and the rig is screaming with uncontrollable wheespin. Just wasted $$ and power.
1/8 Rig platforms were originally designed for 4s lipos. Now just because 8s is available, many go more overboard IMHO. Just because they can, and the next guy does. Sure it can be fun....
For bashing big air in the wide open , 8s and 6s has its place for some. The 6s Arrma rigs are marketted this way. And are heavier than many other brands. 6s is the norm for Bashing RTR 1/8 rigs now. And has to to do with the Power to weight Ratio.
But 4s with the right gearing is fine. We all do it differently.
Even with Speed running, many can run 4s. And achieve Respective PB's.
Many never consider gearing when they want FASTER. They think of jumping to higher power/$ESC's$ and motors.
Pinion Gears and Spurs cost less. Need to experiment that way. I have whole sets of Pinions. It adds up. Just part of RC'ing.
And the correct gearing along with a good Fan solution keeps Temps in Check. No matter the Voltage/ESC/Motor/Lipo.
Need an inexpensive temp gun in your tool box and out in the field.

Last edited:
If you want to get into 6s relatively inexpensively, look at Corally vehicles: I bought two of them for under $400 each when they were on sale. I have a Radix6 buggy and a Muraco truggy (similar to a Talion). The Corally vehicles are faster and more controllable than the equivalent Arrma vehicles, but you give up a slight bit of durability (not much) with Corally. They both run great on 4s and are beasts on 6s (I run mine both ways). Link to Muraco below.

https://rchobbyexplosion.com/team-corally-1-8-muraco-xp-6s-4wd-lwb-brushless-truggy-c-00176/
I already got me a kraton and a felony, but no doubt them Corally rigs are pretty neat.

Corally is popular. Depending where you are, for OE parts support. But very nicely setup and much lighter.(y)
I always felt Upgrade Brand part support was slim however.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back