My 7yr old sons first build: The Bash And Crash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisO

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
My son wanted to get into RC after getting tired of his slow, toy controlled cars so I instantly ordered a Arrma Granite.

I ordered the brushed version, u may ask why?

Main reason is that I want my son to learn the basics, learn how to unbolt screws, replace parts and most of all, upgrade :D

A GoolRC 60A ESC and 3300KV combo was also ordered that my son eventually will be able to mount. A 18T pinion was alao ordered to get some serious speed :p

Goals the upcoming year:
Upgrade the arms
Brace the chassi
Replace bearings with better ones
Maybe replace the wheels/tires
Mount wheelie bar and bumpers
Upgrade the diff input shaft

Stay tuned for more + videos of him basjing around learning it all from the beginning!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200310_003652_997.jpg
    IMG_20200310_003652_997.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200310_003653_001.jpg
    IMG_20200310_003653_001.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200310_003653_002.jpg
    IMG_20200310_003653_002.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20200311_042443.jpg
    IMG_20200311_042443.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 48
? Very nice! Hope he loves the experience. Wish I were exposed to RC at a young age.
Welcome to the forum!
Thnx m8! He loves the idea of jumping the cars as well as skidding around on gravel so my hopes is high :D
I started at around his age with old Kyosho truggy's and that is memorys thatll allways be with me so I hope he will get the same type of memorys.

I got my son the same truck! We've been having fun ripping them around together, can't wait for the nice weather! My other son has a Redcat Volcano, but it's gonna be hard to convince the wife he needs an Arrma :)

Seems like an great entry into the RC world! Just ordered the HD 17t input shafts - stock ones will prob break pretty quickly with the brushless setup hehe :p

Any ideas on frontbumpers that fit bolt on? Im getting a feeling that there will be quite a few nose dives into the ground hehe...

This is awesome. I always wanted a hobby grade RC when I was a kid but my parents didn’t have the money. I had Tyco and Niko stuff and I drove those to the point of no return. My dad and I made a lot of trips to Sears to fix my DieHard BigFoot MT. I still miss that truck. It would go anywhere it seemed.

Today was the day he unboxed it and tested it out for the first time!
Showed him to do a backflip and he nailed it on the first try!! Impressive :D
Video:

Heck yea, I love seeing/hearing this stuff. Always bring back my memories with Dad, building my first kit!! I think your route was also my Dad's route to get me involved in the hobby. He knew I liked using/doing things with my hands at that age, why not have them build stuff!! (y) (y) ?

This is my first kit because of another awesome Dad as well!! :LOL:

Spending time with your kids while learning stuff is wonderful!!

What a beauty of a RC!! I dreamt about a monste truck when I was a kid but only got truggy's hahaha but was alot of fun anyways :p

After watching the driving video, I'm actually impressed how well he is doing for not ever using the steering!!!! (y)(y)??
Spending time with your kids while learning stuff is wonderful!!

What a beauty of a RC!! I dreamt about a monste truck when I was a kid but only got truggy's hahaha but was alot of fun anyways :p
Only bound to have waaay more fun down the road as well!! Effin awesome!!

Test fitted the GoolRC motor today with a 18T pinion. Well, the fixed motor mount holes didnt give any placement so the mesh is correct. Guess Ill be buying a alu mount with sliding adjustment or make one of the mounting holes oval and use a washer between bolt and mount to be able to adjust it slightly.

Went with oval holes and washers!! Easy solution to get some adjustment.

Only a 3300kv motor. Well see if I get a 120A esc and a 3800kv and run 3s

3300kv and 60A on 2s might be great fun for my son as is though.

Prob buying a Kraton 6s v4 for my self along with a FlySky Gt3c or Gt5 radio since I guess that the Kraton 6s comes with the Stx2?

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_164131.jpg
    IMG_20200314_164131.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20200314_171001.jpg
    IMG_20200314_171001.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Went with oval holes and washers!! Easy solution to get some adjustment.

Only a 3300kv motor. Well see if I get a 120A esc and a 3800kv and run 3s

3300kv and 60A on 2s might be great fun for my son as is though.

Prob buying a Kraton 6s v4 for my self along with a FlySky Gt3c or Gt5 radio since I guess that the Kragon 6s comes with the Stx2?
Yea definitely replace that Tx setup from the box. I heard lots of good talk on FlySky Tx's. You can search the forum for that brand and see what others actual opinions are!! ?

Last edited:
I can confirm, I bought a FS-GT5 and am quite happy with it. It is comfortable and responsive, with lots of features for a low end radio.

My only minor gripes are the many buttons for quick adjustment are easily pressed by accident (I wish there were a 'lock all' switch or something). I also find that even with my (normal-large) adult hand, sometimes my finger slips off the trigger; it seems that the amount of travel to reach full brake or reverse feels long. I need to try the smaller grip (included with it) and see if that improves it.

Last edited:
I can confirm, I bought a FS-GT5 and am quite happy with it. It is comfortable and responsive, with lots of features for a low end radio.

My only minor gripes are the many buttons for quick adjustment are easily pressed by accident (I wish there were a 'lock all' switch or something). I also find that even with my (normal-large) adult hand, sometimes my finger slips off the trigger; it seems that the amount of travel to reach full brake or reverse feels long. I need to try the smaller grip (included with it) and see if that improves it.

Great input!! Thank you :)

If I got it correct, the Arrma Granite is using 48dp main/pinion gears and that equals to 0.8mod ? Currently having a 48dp 18T pinion on 2s with the RCgool 60a 3300kv
57T main gear on these brushed ones?
Wonder if a 15T pinion would be a better option along with 3s li-po ?

Making wheelies is a goal hehehe.. backflips wasnt enough for my kid, he wants to make wheelies.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back