My adjustable heavy duty ramp design

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44Dan44

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Talion
  5. Typhon 6s
Hi all just wanted to share my design. I looked through tons of videos on YouTube to gather ideas and this is the result I came up with. Would love to hear your thoughts either here or on YouTube. This is basically finished with the exception of filling screw holes and plywood cracks with wood putty before a final sanding and topcoat which will be aerosol truck bed coating for weatherproofing and traction.

Nice ramp!! I like how your able to adjust it 😎
Video of it launching rigs soon ?

Looks pretty nice. Heavy though?

I wouldn't use truck bed liner with grit in it for the surface. That will be like using a belt sander on your chassis every time you hit it. I have that issue when I bash at my local skate park. The concrete in that place is really rough and will literally chew through a chassis within a few packs if I don't install steel or titanium wear plates. I have to replace 1/16" (2mm-3mm) wear plates yearly on trucks I run there because of it.

Very nice design and lots of thought and work implemented.
Would like to see it in action!

Some constructive criticism, but I fully understand this was build for your purposes. This what I would want out of it.
Weight? Always an issue.
I would need something below ~ 30lbs and has to fit easily in a SUV trunk. Yours is flat enough to store your rigs on top, kudos.
Size, seems very long, width is perfect. How long is it?

I would want a steeper take off angle, seems very shallow and will be hard to do a flip. Video would be nice :)
On grass, you will need wider feet, pure guess as your angle is fairly shallow and the feet might not sink in.

As @olds97_lss stated, do not use anything abrasive on your ramp. It will kill your chassis and the ramp after light use.
Make sure that nothing sticks above the surface, looks like you took care of all that.

Love the innovation though and the wheels to transport. Hope you enjoy the heck out of it.

Nice ramp!! I like how your able to adjust it 😎
Video of it launching rigs soon ?
Soon, hoping for some good weather this weekend to finish the deck.
Looks pretty nice. Heavy though?

I wouldn't use truck bed liner with grit in it for the surface. That will be like using a belt sander on your chassis every time you hit it. I have that issue when I bash at my local skate park. The concrete in that place is really rough and will literally chew through a chassis within a few packs if I don't install steel or titanium wear plates. I have to replace 1/16" (2mm-3mm) wear plates yearly on trucks I run there because of it.
Intentionally heavy, anything from 1:5 to 1:16 scale and the occasional kids bike will use this but I only need to move it around the property, I won't need to load in a truck or van though it will fit. My neighbor and I have a shared driveway and I have extensive asphalt parking around my shops, where this ramp will be used, we will jump from asphalt into grass, drag racing on asphalt, Baja style drag racing on grass, a drifting course and jumping for distance on my side and all things dirt on his side, getting a few loads of dirt in this weekend for the RC track this weekend weather permitting and there will be plenty of dirt jumps in the that. No grit at all, its just a rubberized coating.

Last edited:
Very nice design and lots of thought and work implemented.
Would like to see it in action!

Some constructive criticism, but I fully understand this was build for your purposes. This what I would want out of it.
Weight? Always an issue.
I would need something below ~ 30lbs and has to fit easily in a SUV trunk. Yours is flat enough to store your rigs on top, kudos.
Size, seems very long, width is perfect. How long is it?

I would want a steeper take off angle, seems very shallow and will be hard to do a flip. Video would be nice :)
On grass, you will need wider feet, pure guess as your angle is fairly shallow and the feet might not sink in.

As @olds97_lss stated, do not use anything abrasive on your ramp. It will kill your chassis and the ramp after light use.
Make sure that nothing sticks above the surface, looks like you took care of all that.

Love the innovation though and the wheels to transport. Hope you enjoy the heck out of it.
Thanks, yep this is a beefy home ramp that doesn't need to be transported in a vehicle, it will only fit in a truck or (some minivans) at 4ft wide x 6-½ foot long.
The take off angle is designed for distance but my Outcast will do a flip if you look at it the wrong way lol.

Looks ideal for your purpose and that was your objective. Great job!
On top coat, as silly as it sounds, I'd rather not use anything rubberized or anything that increases grip. You want it somewhat hard and somewhat slick i.e. surface of plastic type slick. Rubber will cause a lot of friction if anything ever hits. You mitigated most with having a low angle but it will still happen.
By all means, try and see what happens, your application is a little different from standard, but I have never seen a bike ramp or any other ramp of that style with a rubber-like surface.

Nice design! 🤘🏻 I was given the advice to top the ramp with a sheet of HDPE and it works great. Just passing along the info if desired. I got mine at Menards for about $50 a sheet.

No grit at all, its just a rubberized coating.

That should work nicely for you then. I just saw a few others in the past use either tape with grit in it for traction or bed liner/under coating liner with grit in it and can only imagine the damage that causes to their chassis!

Looks ideal for your purpose and that was your objective. Great job!
On top coat, as silly as it sounds, I'd rather not use anything rubberized or anything that increases grip. You want it somewhat hard and somewhat slick i.e. surface of plastic type slick. Rubber will cause a lot of friction if anything ever hits. You mitigated most with having a low angle but it will still happen.
By all means, try and see what happens, your application is a little different from standard, but I have never seen a bike ramp or any other ramp of that style with a rubber-like surface.
I appreciate the knowledge.(y)
Nice design! 🤘🏻 I was given the advice to top the ramp with a sheet of HDPE and it works great. Just passing along the info if desired. I got mine at Menards for about $50 a sheet.
That was my first choice! I recently moved from Illinois, I wish I had a Menards nearby. Their prices and availability on HDPE sheet goods is unbeatable.
That should work nicely for you then. I just saw a few others in the past use either tape with grit in it for traction or bed liner/under coating liner with grit in it and can only imagine the damage that causes to their chassis!
Indeed. I wanted to keep the approach angle as tight as possible to avoid scraping my friend's rigs when they come by. I felt like the super steep/quick transitions are what cause the most problems with RC damage.

Last edited:
Indeed. I wanted to keep the approach angle as tight as possible to avoid scraping my friend's rigs when they come by. I felt like the super steep/quick transitions are what cause the most problems with RC damage.

Hitting pretty much any incline at 30mph+ with these trucks means they are going to bottom out on the face of the jump. So planning for that by making the surface of the jump somewhat slick will help out the longevity of the ramp and lessen the damage to the trucks. In most cases, traction on the jump isn't that relevant anyway as your hitting the jump at speed, then controlling flips/corrections mostly with the tires spinning in the air after the launch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back