My Arrma Powered WLToys 12428

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suchtragedy

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡ɯɹɐ loɹʇuoɔ ǝʞoɹq
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Felony
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Limitless
  7. Kraton 6s
  8. Outcast 4s
  9. Typhon 3s
  10. Voltage
So I wanted to share my frankenstein Arrma powered WLToys 12428 1/12 scale buggy build with you all. It has had many reiterations over the last few months and will probably go through a few more but here's the latest spec on it.

My goal for this was to make an FPV buggy build after I saw a badass video someone made of one with a camera mounted in the driver's position, RC sound simulator, and even a moving steering wheel. So I bought the 12428 1/12 scale for 70 dollars shipped to replicate the same build but afterward I realized that the car in the video was the 10248, the 1/10 scale version of the same buggy so quite a bit bigger. Still determined to make it work, I got to work with some pre-existing 3d printed designs that I've modified from other models to suit my needs, and even creating some new models of my own.

So in the end here it is. The truck is brushed and powered by the Arrma 4x4 Mega ESC, Arrma 7kg metal gear servo, and Arrma Mega 12T brushed motor and controlled with the Arrma Mega Tactic radio system. 3D print wise I've added my own designed vertical shock tower conversion mount, full sized lipo battery tray, custom full sized servo mount, custom mini servo mount for FPV camera, custom raised mounting tray to sit above the servo and drive shafts, and top tray to hide everything. I've outfitted a SG20 mini servo with Runcam Swift 3 FPV camera and by using a servo signal splitter the camera servo turns along with the wheels so you always see where you are going when turning and simulates first person head turning. In addition I've added rear tail lights, LED light controller set up for On/Off on channel 3, custom 3D printed tail light bracket with SMA antenna mount, and SMA to MMCX antenna cable connected to a 600mW FPV video transmitter off one of my old race drones.

Lastly, it has 115mm 1.9" crawler tires/wheels, Feiyue FY03 wheelie bar, 57T 32p steel spur gear, 17T 32P pinion, aluminum rear driveshaft, metal geared rear axle/differential from the Feiyue FY03, aluminium oil filled shocks, aluminum turnbuckles as well as larger adjustable plastic turnbuckles from the WLToys 10428 when aluminum ones wore out.

So there you have it -- my bastard frankenstein Arrma powered build. I will post my other Arrma builds later when I get caught up on other things and a few waited parts finally come in.

20200227_124806.jpg

20200227_124853.jpg

20200227_124922.jpg

So I wanted to share my frankenstein Arrma powered WLToys 12428 1/12 scale buggy build with you all. It has had many reiterations over the last few months and will probably go through a few more but here's the latest spec on it.

My goal for this was to make an FPV buggy build after I saw a badass video someone made of one with a camera mounted in the driver's position, RC sound simulator, and even a moving steering wheel. So I bought the 12428 1/12 scale for 70 dollars shipped to replicate the same build but afterward I realized that the car in the video was the 10248, the 1/10 scale version of the same buggy so quite a bit bigger. Still determined to make it work, I got to work with some pre-existing 3d printed designs that I've modified from other models to suit my needs, and even creating some new models of my own.

So in the end here it is. The truck is brushed and powered by the Arrma 4x4 Mega ESC, Arrma 7kg metal gear servo, and Arrma Mega 12T brushed motor and controlled with the Arrma Mega Tactic radio system. 3D print wise I've added my own designed vertical shock tower conversion mount, full sized lipo battery tray, custom full sized servo mount, custom mini servo mount for FPV camera, custom raised mounting tray to sit above the servo and drive shafts, and top tray to hide everything. I've outfitted a SG20 mini servo with Runcam Swift 3 FPV camera and by using a servo signal splitter the camera servo turns along with the wheels so you always see where you are going when turning and simulates first person head turning. In addition I've added rear tail lights, LED light controller set up for On/Off on channel 3, custom 3D printed tail light bracket with SMA antenna mount, and SMA to MMCX antenna cable connected to a 600mW FPV video transmitter off one of my old race drones.

Lastly, it has 115mm 1.9" crawler tires/wheels, Feiyue FY03 wheelie bar, 57T 32p steel spur gear, 17T 32P pinion, aluminum rear driveshaft, metal geared rear axle/differential from the Feiyue FY03, aluminium oil filled shocks, aluminum turnbuckles as well as larger adjustable plastic turnbuckles from the WLToys 10428 when aluminum ones wore out.

So there you have it -- my bastard frankenstein Arrma powered build. I will post my other Arrma builds later when I get caught up on other things and a few waited parts finally come in.

View attachment 67355

View attachment 67362
View attachment 67354
I have one of those 12428s, how do like the Rocks Tyre "Super Swampers" on there? I need to do the front shock tower mod to mine the chassis flexes so much upgrading the shocks was pointless.

I have one of those 12428s, how do like the Rocks Tyre "Super Swampers" on there? I need to do the front shock tower mod to mine the chassis flexes so much upgrading the shocks was pointless.
I only upgraded the vertical shocks because I needed the real estate for the stuff I wanted to do. If it were just a normal car to me I wouldn't have changed it, I don't see a point. I like the tires but they rub just a little bit so some 10-15mm wheel spacers make it just right but I don't have any on right now because of the wheel I am using the nut that goes with the spacer I have isn't long enough to catch. But ultimately the tires don't do much except looks and a little better clearance. I am probably going to put some SC tires I have on it instead or swap back to stock and use those wheels/tires that are on it now with my crawler.

If it handles like it looks damm man should be a blast looks awesome
The chassis has so much flex in it that even on the stock motor the front end lifts 1 wheel off the ground while and the chassis twists due to the torque. It still does this but the wheelie bar at least keeps it from flipping over. It's super unstable but it holds up pretty well beating wise so it's just my IDGAF vehicle or what I give my nephew to drive when I don't want to worry he's going to destroy something.

But at lower, manageable speeds its actually not so bad. Good little yard hopper, I use it to get my fat dogs some exercise because they chase it. I normally don't use the FPV that much except when it's cold out and I want to drive it so I use FPV to do so from inside my warm house lmao.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back