Big Rock My Big Rock rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I strongly recommend installing black oxided 12.9 grade fasteners throughout. Stainless is brittle and will strip/break from fatigue...even with the highest quality of Allen wrenches.

Pratt & Whitney and Rolls Royce do not install stainless steel fastners during the assembly of their engines on the internals. Case hardened or black oxided fasteners only.

Well, I have no shortage of the black oxidated bolts.
I’ve switched out several rigs.

Maybe that’s why no one wanted my rebuilt Fazon, smh.

Yeah, I’ll go with the black, thanks.

Oh... another thing...

Mushroom head, aka button head, fasteners are usually used in areas where clearance is an issue. If you have the clearance, go with the beer can (aka Allen Cap screw) configuration as more torque can be applied as there is more material surrounding the hex driver than the button head units.

I see those bolt heads are never called their correct name on eBay so I had to resort to my western Kansas dialogue, lol.

I use the beer cans amap cause I liked the looks of em ,lol

No worries... the shop mechanics have their own lingo too at work ??

Switched out the bolts, lol.

What happened was the order I placed at 1st of the month finally showed but the arms I needed to start were missing. He sent them out today but I worried about this order so I ordered yet another set and it should be here today or Monday.
Also sold a blue Nero so I had to get it boxed and shipped.

Then I’m 2nd guessing whether I should build this out with the extension frame plates? I imagine it’ll be a constant wheelie machine with the power it’s getting and where’s the fun in that?
Maybe I should just stay with the red can Nero motor? It sure is a good motor, imo.

Maybe I should just stay with the red can Nero motor? It sure is a good motor, imo.

Hmmmm... I’ve been researching another motor/ESC combo for my basher Nero, but there soooo many choices out there. I finally decided and bought the HW Max8 ESC, so I figure I’d splurge on the motor too while I’m at it but don’t know which company/motor to go with. It’s a hard life, I tell ya ?

But I agree that the OEM motor is plenty torquey. Myself personally, I’ll take torque over RPM anyday of the week.

Yeah, I put that Nero motor and an mmx esc into my Kraton and it’s a handful.

Just came from mailbox. Other set of arms showed up, lol.

About a quarter-half of the way done with front assembly.

Last edited:
Anyone remember the rocker bolt mod? Was it a 5mm x 30mm or 35mm?

I’ll buy both, but just in case...

Depends on which rockers you use. Factory is 16mm I believe...

I ended up using 5mm x 30mm bolts. Rockers and pushrods installed.

My little department store basket has a bottom, lol. I haven’t seen it in months. It’s been stacked full of upgrades for this build.

I’m trying to find a carbon fiber rod that’s threaded to use for the steering arms. Ordered cf rod blanks from China yesterday.
I’m building it out with the gray aluminum pieces. I have another set that I’ll get powder coated black later on.

I wanna get this done and get back on rebuilding them to sell. I put a blue one up for sale and it sold in 10 minutes. Nero’s are hot right now or my prices are reasonable, lol?

Mr. Titanium, this removes the factory rocker bolt that requires 2 bolts.

I simply replaced that system with a single bolt to hold the rockers.

Well this would sure help in getting this thing finished.
I have the extra hard core automotive glue that I prep the slider with. They sell it with this cf. It's Metro cf, supposed to be good stuff.

But anyhow Im not sure if I like this?
I ordered blank carbon fiber rolls that I hope to thread the ends and make steering rods out of them. Also ordered hollow rods in case I have to encase it.
So it would sort of tie in with the rest?

So joost, Mr. titanium, anyone?
Ya or nay.

Attachments

• 20190223_155453.jpg
    20190223_155453.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 84
Joost, your sct is unreal. Absolutely work of art how you transformed all those pieces.

Another thing I wanna do is rig a system that I can buff the Nero sliders on a drill to get a chrome shine and then a coat of clear. After removing the anodizing of course.

That looks awesome :geek: Does it slide?

The cvds? Yes. It's just a auto wrap I trimmed to fit. It's really nice stuff. You can see each separate strand and the blocks face different directions like real cf.

If real stuff could be made into a wrap, it would be this stuff, lol.

So that's 2-0 in favor, lol.

Last edited:
I’m not very good at these threads.
I don’t know if I’m suppose to be posting more along the way pix or.....

But this is where I’m at as of now.

I’m waiting on Just Bash It to make a run of 10mm extended hub, Rovan 23mm conversions so I installed the slider with the cf wrap to see how it looked. The HR front hubs have 2 cf pieces mounted to them for capturing the steer rods so once I seen how that tied in together I went ahead and started sanding on the other sliders.
I start @ 60 grit emery paper and worked my way up to 1200. What’s really cool is I’m using up old sliders that were pitted like crazy from no mud guards.

I’ve built it backwards I guess? I built the sub assemblies 1st. I’m gonna get started on the motor, esc center section.

I need to build the shocks soon as well. I bought VRPs THE GAMECHANGER internals highly recommended by a member here in the Nero upgrade thread.

As far as the shock color I need to figure out whether to leave the shock bodies gray or:
-paint black and then clear
-use a black shock cover

The 1st of springs I try will be the HR white ones. Idk about that yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 84
Mr. Titanium, this removes the factory rocker bolt that requires 2 bolts.

I simply replaced that system with a single bolt to hold the rockers.

Yes... you replaced the two Arrma pivot posts with shoulder bolts, right? What length bolts did you use? Got a pic on the installation?

I gotta say that you’re making some serious progress. You have an eye for details and your work ethic is impressive (I noticed that you covered the bumper with tape as to prevent scratches). Keep up the good work ??

Last edited:
Wow, thanks man.
Believe it or not, that’s been said by a couple other peeps and for me it’s flat out awesome hearing.
Since I’ve been paralyzed I’ve been trying to find something I’m good at again.

I taped the frame plate edges too. I work off an Integy 5th scale stand with metal edges.

Let me see if I can explain this. I have one assembly temp. bolted in place. Well since the carbon fiber plates are so lightweight I have to set the assembly on stand and let frame hang off, lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back