My crazy idea for reinforcing body

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn2burn

Reaction score
Iv spent some time painting bodies in the past and I love the fact that the exb is painted. Truth be told I would much rather paint it myself but I have a hand full with the build.
To me the truck is was too nice for duct tape or shoe goo and drywall tape. Theres gotta be a better way.
So I was thinking of trying this out first on an old 1/10 scale Porsche 924 body I painted years ago first.

I was going to spray the underside with 3m high strength adhesive.
Then cut up a bag of loose carbon fiber cloth bits, really small and pull them apart so there like a web.
Then stick it to the adhesive and press it down with parchment paper (silicon non stick) and remove paper.
Then multiple coats of 3m rubberized undercoating over all that. I could even add more CF as I lay down the rubberized coating.

My main concern is adhesion to the body as plastics are "contaminated" for lack of better word and don't hold glue well, other than shoe goo. My other concern is adding weight.
I'v had really good luck with 3m spray adhesive in the past with plastics. Another option might be 3m VHB tape.

What do you guys think?

Iv spent some time painting bodies in the past and I love the fact that the exb is painted. Truth be told I would much rather paint it myself but I have a hand full with the build.
To me the truck is was too nice for duct tape or shoe goo and drywall tape. Theres gotta be a better way.
So I was thinking of trying this out first on an old 1/10 scale Porsche 924 body I painted years ago first.

Then cut up a bag of loose carbon fiber cloth bits, really small and pull them apart so there like a web.
Then stick it to the adhesive and press it down with parchment paper (silicon non stick) and remove paper.

Then multiple coats of 3m rubberized undercoating over all that. I could even add more CF as I lay down the rubberized coating.

My main concern is adhesion to the body as plastics are "contaminated" for lack of better word and don't hold glue well, other than shoe goo. My other concern is adding weight.
I'v had really good luck with 3m spray adhesive in the past with plastics. Another option might be 3m VHB tape.

What do you guys think?

Okay.
Well, That's definitely different!
I don't know how well the spray adhesive will work with the carbon fiber... since the strength really happens when Resin and CF is combined and cured... Not just tacked on like surface spray glue..

But, it never hurts -to Try it out and report back.
We'll be 👀 you.

Spray adhesive? Is that similar to "Flex Seal"? Cause I've definitely considered that.

Just not sure how good it would stick.

What do you guys think?
Interesting concept. Are you going to be the tester?

Go for it. You may be onto something. Sounds like a lot of weight added but I may be wrong. Let us know the results.

Bodies are going to flex when they take impacts, carbon fiber when combined with a resin is very rigid and will crack instead of flexing. Is the adhesive flexible? It's an interesting idea and would make for a cool project but probably not suited to a basher body.

I've tried everything mentioned above,no matter what strengthening body adds weight..over the last year I've only been useing cheap Walmart flex-seal.more coats,more strength,more weight.30 mins between coats,deap as ya wanna go..I'll use this as a backer they got black or white..wasn't going for a showcase, but did this one 5 days ago,3coats of white

16734371603877043209236745834503.jpg

16734371956267204398191272018279.jpg

1 can will do at least 2 bodys

If you have handled carbon fiber fabric you are aware it feels soft and flexible like many other fabrics.
It only becomes a hard material when saturated with either epoxy (recommended for carbon) or polyester resin. I really don't think a flexible glue is going to give you the benefits you are looking for.

I have found that chopped strand mat fiberglass works great to conform to the shapes of an RC body, but there are 2 issues.
1. The polyester resin used will damage the typical rc paint. (has to be water-based to not have an interaction)
2. It adds significant weight and no guarantee of adhesion to the body itself

Interesting idea, for sure. I think it could work if you have a very thick layer of tacky glue that permeates through the fabric. If you have any experience with composites, specifically infusion, you may know that spray-on adhesive is used to hold the fabric on to the mold surface before the resin is injected.

You may consider using a flexible epoxy resin to adhere chopped carbon to the body. Also, Kevlar would be a good option instead of carbon, as it is more flexible and impact-resistant. It is also slightly lighter than carbon.

I think the idea that you had would be worth doing a small test in order to see if it sticks to the plastic properly. I would be interested to know the results!

Yea I mean its nuts Iv seen so many people try stuff and it doesn't really work. I like the two bodies Idea. 60 bucks or so. Or when yours starts to get beat up have fun painting a clear one. I wasnt looking for carbon fibers ridged qualities, I wanted something to create a whole structural integrity, tensile strength too maybe. The idea wasnt for the adhesive to penetrate the carbon, just make it stick, then the rubberized stuff to permeate that and make a carbon fiber sandwich if you will. I guess Im not going to be able to reinvent the wheel on this one.
Something like the flex seal idea is great, simple and we know now it worked for someone. I'v seen the "unbreakable" bodies but they are like 100 bucks and just one color. I always like applying color on the underneath. But a Kraton in white might look nice.
Polyester I got involved with years ago and never want to again :)
Maybe just lay down a layer around the bottom edge all around the body of shoe goo. Seems such a shame to have such a nice truck and it look like a swamp donkey. There must be a way!
I think I might just try the flex seal idea. The rubberized undercoating doesn't stick together like that.

This is an interesting discussion! I'm just getting back into the hobby, and have done some reading about reinforcing bodies, but haven't tried anything yet.

Shoe Goo + drywall tape seems popular. And also just using Gorilla tape. I bought Gorilla tape, intending to try that.

But it got me wondering about using adhesive drywall tape, with Gorilla tape over that. Probably just in certain areas, not necessarily the whole body. Thinking drywall tape for tensile strength, and the tape to make it stick, plus providing additional strength.

But reading this makes me wonder about adhesive drywall tape, then coated with Flex Seal spray. Maybe that would go through the tape a little better, and would be easier to apply everywhere, and to curved surfaces, vs Gorilla tape.

There certainly seem to be a lot of ways to try and address the problem! I'm glad people are still trying new things.

This is an interesting discussion! I'm just getting back into the hobby, and have done some reading about reinforcing bodies, but haven't tried anything yet.

Shoe Goo + drywall tape seems popular. And also just using Gorilla tape. I bought Gorilla tape, intending to try that.

But it got me wondering about using adhesive drywall tape, with Gorilla tape over that. Probably just in certain areas, not necessarily the whole body. Thinking drywall tape for tensile strength, and the tape to make it stick, plus providing additional strength.

But reading this makes me wonder about adhesive drywall tape, then coated with Flex Seal spray. Maybe that would go through the tape a little better, and would be easier to apply everywhere, and to curved surfaces, vs Gorilla tape.

There certainly seem to be a lot of ways to try and address the problem! I'm glad people are still trying new things.
I'll never use shoe goo again,so messy an stinks bad..when I go all out reinforced body,I'll use the drywall mesh,secure it with hot glue,an fill worst spots an seams with hot glue..then put at least 5 coats of flex-seal on it till mesh is filled a secure everywhere..flex seal was a gamechanger for me though.
Thread 'Spraying chassis with flex-seal' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/spraying-chassis-with-flex-seal.46777/
I even tried this lmfao
Thread 'Sprayed closed cell foam 4 TOUGH BODY!!!!!' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/sprayed-closed-cell-foam-4-tough-body.28952/

Screenshot_20230113-081320_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
That’s strong! What’s the weight difference? Seems to be a good option. Also, how much flex seal did you use?(example: 1/2 can)
I think that the drywall tape would get in the way of the gorilla tapes adhesion, and it wouldn’t stick well. In my experience, if the body flexes hard, like a cartwheel into a fence… the tape can peel off pretty easily. Personally I do shoe goo and drywall tape, but only in high stress areas.

That’s strong! What’s the weight difference? Seems to be a good option. Also, how much flex seal did you use?(example: 1/2 can)

I think that the drywall tape would get in the way of the gorilla tapes adhesion, and it wouldn’t stick well. In my experience, if the body flexes hard, like a cartwheel into a fence… the tape can peel off pretty easily. Personally I do shoe goo and drywall tape, but only in high stress areas.
I buy the cheap off brand flexseal from wal mart..I'd guess about 1/2 can would do probly 5,6 thick coats..

This is my fear as well, that the drywall tape would block too much of the Gorilla adhesive. I'd probably try it on a test piece of something first. If you're saying Gorilla tape can peel off, wow! Or are you referring to drywall tape peeling off?

SG + drywall tape just in certain areas seems like an interesting idea. Also quicker and less added weight, vs trying to coat the whole body with it.

Back