My daily rant.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
False calls.

Yesterday went to leave for work, got into my car and the sh!t cramp hit hard! Went back in to handle it and crickets. Nothing!

Got 1/2 way to work and was sitting in heavy traffic, now I'm starting to crown. Pulled over into a McDonalds and dropped the last night's dinner. There was only like 15 squares left on the roll. I felt like I was in the Seinfeld twilight. 15 squares of that thin a$$ paper might as well have been 1 square. I had to move over to the other stall. I hate when that happens.

My experience says they hold much better. But to each their own.
That is fair, but it may be attributable to a different factor than the tip profile; installation process, clean hardware, hardware brand, etc.

I posted only one of many, many articles about grub screw tip styles, and they all echo the same thing. It is an industry-wide accepted standard of which tips hold the best, through controlled environment testing and materials science backing it up, with variation in implementation coming from cost-benefit analysis, use-case, etc. Realistically, an interference fit keyway would probably hold the best, but be an awful solution for RC pinions.

Most RC grub screws are cupped due to the relative in-expense, and adequate holding power, when compared to more expensive but better serrated, or less expensive, but typically not strong enough flat nose.

That is fair, but it may be attributable to a different factor than the tip profile; installation process, clean hardware, hardware brand, etc.

I posted only one of many, many articles about grub screw tip styles, and they all echo the same thing. It is an industry-wide accepted standard of which tips hold the best, through controlled environment testing and materials science backing it up, with variation in implementation coming from cost-benefit analysis, use-case, etc. Realistically, an interference fit keyway would probably hold the best, but be an awful solution for RC pinions.

Most RC grub screws are cupped due to the relative in-expense, and adequate holding power, when compared to more expensive but better serrated, or less expensive, but typically not strong enough flat nose.
Honestly, i feel that tip style may be rather insignificant at this level of RC use since all of these grubs styles are going to require heavy applications of threadlocker to get them to stay in place anyway. The tip style may provide some amount of resistance to torque, but overall much smaller amounts than the threadlocker should.

I think your point on installation process/clean hardware, etc, is spot on.

If you're grub is coming loose, i'd say one of these factors is playing into it letting go. Changing grub style may help, but probably won't be the fix, imo.

The motor shaft has a flat spot along one side which allows excellent purchase for the flat tip. With the longer 12.9 steel grub I can also crank in far harder than before. This additional stress to the grub is why I use it only once and then toss. I also stopped using locktite and don’t bother cleaning them anymore the connection is so solid.

But again to each his own. I appreciate scientific study but it doesn’t take the place of personal experimentation. It’s easy to simply repeat what you hear and see but without the experience, how do you know what really works?

5mm, 12.9 steel flat tip grubs have worked very well for me since this last February and I will continue using them. I haven’t stripped a grub or had a pinion loosen since, which happened quite often before. What others choose to do matters very little to me honestly. If I find something that works with a common issue I will mention it (like putting a bearing race on the rear of the 3s slipper hub). Others can try it or not, their choice.

One thing I don’t do is recommend something that I’ve only heard or seen. If I haven’t tried it myself I don’t feel that it is responsible to recommend it. So let the debate continue…but unless someone has actually tried it, their arguments for or against seem pointless.

I just bought some dog point grubs 😉 fancied trying something new..
Can't remember who it was, but the other day someone mentioned only using grubs once and throwing them away after one use..!!
Sounds like a plan 👍🏼

I just bought some dog point grubs 😉 fancied trying something new..
Can't remember who it was, but the other day someone mentioned only using grubs once and throwing them away after one use..!!
Sounds like a plan 👍🏼
Yeah I learned that a second use often resulted in stripping the hex. They are cheap enough to toss after use.

The motor shaft has a flat spot along one side which allows excellent purchase for the flat tip.
👍 yup, a pretty universal improvement to the much older RC vehicles, well before brushless tech.

With the longer 12.9 steel grub I can also crank in far harder than before.
The longer grub allows for being able to tighten it more, as the bearing surface along the entire length of the fastener is significantly longer. Stock Arrma fasteners are all 12.9 iirc.

This additional stress to the grub is why I use it only once and then toss.
A good practice regardless.

I also stopped using locktite and don’t bother cleaning them anymore the connection is so solid.
Interesting 🤔 I've had mixed results with loctite across the entire vehicle, not just on the pinion, and haven't always found it necessary.

But again to each his own. I appreciate scientific study but it doesn’t take the place of personal experimentation. It’s easy to simply repeat what you hear and see but without the experience, how do you know what really works?
Having picked up serrated grubs, they seem to hold much better than the cupped ones. Again, though, this is a case of "seems" since it isn't analyzed in a controlled environment.

5mm, 12.9 steel flat tip grubs have worked very well for me since this last February and I will continue using them. I haven’t stripped a grub or had a pinion loosen since, which happened quite often before.
Good, I'm glad you've found a solution that works for you.

One thing I don’t do is recommend something that I’ve only heard or seen. If I haven’t tried it myself I don’t feel that it is responsible to recommend it. So let the debate continue…but unless someone has actually tried it, their arguments for or against seem pointless.
Which is why I made a point of what I did. Having experience with fastening gears in a bunch of different ways, including beyond RC applications, is how I knew what information (and furthermore, while not linked, what hard data) to present.

To be clear, I am not saying that what you do for your particular situation is not effective. I am pointing out that there are more avenues to consider. The improvement of grub effectiveness is most likely coming from the longer screw, not the change in tip. If anything, keeping cupped tips and extending the grub to the same length as the ones you use will be likely even more effective.

I don't understand some people. Speed limit is 55 they drive 40, speed limit is 40 and they drive 55.

The main street on my work commute is 50mph, they either do 35 or 70, they do not mix well, it's insane! :eek:

Three weeks of over 85 F temps in the factory with 91 being the top temp. I build heavy machinery, 15 tons when it leaves my bay and using a 1000 Ft lb torque wrench and 2" plus combination wrenches leaves me weary. Some days involve getting everything right within .0001 of an inch and yes, that's 1 ten thousand of an inch. Imagine splitting a human hair long ways equally 30 times.... That's my job. Don't even get me started on the drive there and back.

I find beauty and solace in building these machines...and I'm not even close to being done yet.

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5316.JPG

I find beauty and solace in building these machines...
I agree with this so much. I spend far more time working on them then driving. My wife understands it helps keep me from losing my mind at times by relieving built up stress and anxiety.

Nice looking typhon! I also put an outcast wing on mine (typhon parts bin build). I like it so much better than the giant fragile typhon wing. Are those GPM driveshafts? I’ve often wondered how well they hold up.

F63AC453-1B2E-49E2-8F7B-A08645BF4254.jpeg

Three weeks of over 85 F temps in the factory with 91 being the top temp. I build heavy machinery, 15 tons when it leaves my bay and using a 1000 Ft lb torque wrench and 2" plus combination wrenches leaves me weary. Some days involve getting everything right within .0001 of an inch and yes, that's 1 ten thousand of an inch. Imagine splitting a human hair long ways equally 30 times.... That's my job. Don't even get me started on the drive there and back.
It's been in the 90s and 100s here it is on average 30 degrees hotter, depending on what machine you stand next to, in the factory that I work in than it is outside. My stuff only has to be within 1/32 of an inch.

Dronabinol​

Prescribed for anxiety and anger (non violent ty very much) issues.
My rant is that without it I'm an ass and with it I feel "high"...not myself.
Been rough dealing with my neck injury and hope I can manage the crap that comes with
an injury.
Anyway that's my rant for the day:rolleyes:

Dronabinol​

Prescribed for anxiety and anger (non violent ty very much) issues.
My rant is that without it I'm an ass and with it I feel "high"...not myself.
Been rough dealing with my neck injury and hope I can manage the crap that comes with
an injury.
Anyway that's my rant for the day:rolleyes:
Sorry to hear that man! Stay strong and positive; you'll manage through it.

Maybe if you stop changing your avatar so much you wouldn't have anxiety!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Like I always tell my wife, just bc it's on sale doesn't mean you have to buy it!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:✌️

But seriously, hope you feel better soon!! (y)🍻

Back