My ESC is dead, Can i upgrade ESC and not motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPogy

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hello, I am new to posting on these forums I have been lurking for a while when trying to problem solve for my Typhon I obviously know that I CAN upgrade the ESC and not the Motor, but should I? Will I strain my stock Motor? Right now I have several RCs and was thinking about getting rid of a few but first I figured I would get them running, I'm good in the mechanical side of repairs but when it comes to the electronics I am less familiar. I am torn between keeping my Xmaxx or my Typhon. My Xmaxx is running now but my last bashing adventure left the ESC on the Typhon totaled. so when I went to look for a replacement I saw that they released the new 185 ESC that is supposed to be better all around right? Anyway the more I looked into different ESCs I saw that the Mamba Monster X is only about 30$ more then the stock ESC and looks pretty bad ass. I like that it has settings to control speed for when I let others drive. I'm plenty happy with the performance of the Typhon Stock especially seeing as its already hard to keep tires from tearing apart on 6s so speed isnt my main goal here (not that I don't like speed) mainly what would upgrading help with that the stock esc wouldn't?

1. My main question would be should I just get the new stock ESC for my Typhon or should I get the Mamba Monster X or perhaps another Mamba model?
  2. what can I expect from upgrading the ESC from stock to Mamba?
  3. is it worth upgrading the ESC if I don't plan on upgrading the Motor? (reason being I have two BLX motors)
  4. how much of a role does the ESC play in performance of the vehicle (or is that more of the Motor)
  5. would I have to swap out any other parts in order to get the mamba ESC working (I know I may have to swap connectors)
any other opinions or observations are welcome the way I see it is either way replacing the out dated ESC with the new 185 stock one or with a Mamba will help me sell it. sorry for the length of this post just trying to cover all the details.

1. My main question would be should I just get the new stock ESC for my Typhon or should I get the Mamba Monster X or perhaps another Mamba model? Call Arrma, they may give you a BLX185 as a warranty replacement for a BLX180. They are doing this for a lot of folks.
  2. what can I expect from upgrading the ESC from stock to Mamba? Less throttle lag, more programing options.
  3. is it worth upgrading the ESC if I don't plan on upgrading the Motor? (reason being I have two BLX motors) YES!
  4. how much of a role does the ESC play in performance of the vehicle (or is that more of the Motor) Some. As long as you have "enough ESC" having more will not help out. I.E. a racegrade 150A esc will only have a small improvement over a basher grade 150A ESC. But throw in an 80A ESC and you will have troubles...
  5. would I have to swap out any other parts in order to get the mamba ESC working (I know I may have to swap connectors) Should be more or less a drop in, plus connectors
any other opinions or observations are welcome the way I see it is either way replacing the out dated ESC with the new 185 stock one or with a Mamba will help me sell it. sorry for the length of this post just trying to cover all the details.

Even if you want a MMX, I would still call Arrma about your BLX180. If they can send you a BLX185, great, you have a spare ESC! Or you can even sell it...

Jerry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back