Mojave My EXB build thread, so far…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, you’re right. I just looked at the programming chart. I guess if you used a 5s with the ESC set to auto-detect it wouldn’t know what to do in relation to the LVC. If it saw it as 4s you’d hit LVC way too soon, but if it saw it as 6s you could discharge it way too far and damage the battery or even burn down your truck. I guess I won’t be trying 5s! Yo, HobbyWing, how about a firmware update!
Yes, but vice versa.. the max6 will see the 5s pack as 6,then go into LVC the moment you whack the throttle. 5s is too many volts to be read as a 4s.. at least this has been my experience.
I have an older HW XERUN(sensored)150A esc that will run 5s. Otherwise, the only way to run 5s is to disable LVC. Obviously not reccomended. (I have,shh..secretly)
Castle, or another MFG may offer it, IDK.

Yes, but vice versa.. the max6 will see the 5s pack as 6,then go into LVC the moment you whack the throttle. 5s is too many volts to be read as a 4s.. at least this has been my experience.
I have an older HW XERUN(sensored)150A esc that will run 5s. Otherwise, the only way to run 5s is to disable LVC. Obviously not reccomended. (I have,shh..secretly)
Castle, or another MFG may offer it, IDK.
I read somewhere that manufacturers didn’t like the 5s option because of people running one 2s pack with one 3s pack so the 2s pack would be over discharged when LVC cut in. I don’t know if this is true, but I did read it on the interweb…

I read somewhere that manufacturers didn’t like the 5s option because of people running one 2s pack with one 3s pack so the 2s pack would be over discharged when LVC cut in. I don’t know if this is true, but I did read it on the interweb…
IDK why honestly but I don't think that would be relevant. The packs would discharge at the same rate as long as the MAH and C ratings are equal?
The 2 and 3s packs would be connected together, thereby acting as one 5s..so long as the 2 packs have the same discharge an mah ratings, they will discharge equally.

Last edited:
I think the reason that HW doesn't program the 5s option anymore is really just because it simply isn't popular..therefore they don't include it.. seems silly, but they, fractions of thousands of pennies add up!?

IDK why honestly but I don't think that would be relevant. The packs would discharge at the same rate as long as the MAH and C ratings are equal?
The 2 and 3s packs would be connected together, thereby acting as one 5s..so long as the 2 packs have the same discharge an mah ratings, they will discharge equally.
You might be right, but I just looked at my batteries and I don’t have any 2s packs that match up to my 3s packs in either MaH or C rating. Protecting against that maybe? IDK, but you’re right about Pennie’s per unit in large scale manufacturing. Bean counters…

You might be right, but I just looked at my batteries and I don’t have any 2s packs that match up to my 3s packs in either MaH or C rating. Protecting against that maybe? IDK, but you’re right about Pennie’s per unit in large scale manufacturing. Bean counters…
I actually try to keep with the same specs when buying batteries just for this reason. Currently, I have a crap load of 5200mah 50C 2 and 3s.. I like 5200mah cuz I find it to be a good balance between runtime and weight. Higher the mah, the heavier the batteries will be(generally) as well as longer run times.

Thanks! I think the HobbyWing Max6 has LiPo voltage auto detect. I’ll have to check, it’s been awhile since I’ve been in the programming menu. I would like to try 5s. It would be nice to run a single battery. Even when I run 4s I’m running twin 2s packs because that’s what I’ve had. But 4s is more fun in the driveway than 6s for sure. 5s does sound like it could be a sweet spot!

Well in that case…. I’ll put my Mojave with it‘s puny little tires up against any and all comers in a hardcore bash session any day! I’ve never tried any of the Arrma stunt trucks so there will never be any extreme big-air sends from me, but for an SCT this Mojave is awesome. I have a virgin Losi DBXL-E on the shelf and I can’t wait for it‘s maiden voyage but I don’t even think that will replace my Mojave as my favorite truck. We’ll see.
It's a beautiful truck, but also a heavy beast. What 20% heavier than my beefcake Talion?

Maybe the Typhoon is the sweet spot, but I personally need big wheels, it's just more fun when you can run on any surface with not a care in the world.

It's a beautiful truck, but also a heavy beast. What 20% heavier than my beefcake Talion?

Maybe the Typhoon is the sweet spot, but I personally need big wheels, it's just more fun when you can run on any surface with not a care in the world.
I agree that “all surface fun” is the ideal situation. I would never consider aluminum wheels on anything but a crawler though. Not that they don’t look awesome though. And speaking of which, when are you going to put those monster wheels back on, reinstall all the aluminum braces and give us a “basher setup” weight? Your 20% lighter weight advantage will largely evaporate. You’ll be almost as heavy as a Mojave! I’ll be waiting to see!

I agree that “all surface fun” is the ideal situation. I would never consider aluminum wheels on anything but a crawler though. Not that they don’t look awesome though. And speaking of which, when are you going to put those monster wheels back on, reinstall all the aluminum braces and give us a “basher setup” weight? Your 20% lighter weight advantage will largely evaporate. You’ll be almost as heavy as a Mojave! I’ll be waiting to see!
Agreed on the wheels. They look awesome for sure, but I can't see paying the money they cost then bash the crap out of them myself. Different strokes I guess?

Been driving around with the racing wheels and it's so fun to be this responsive. I would weigh out the other wheels but I'm racing tonight again.

Car will be still lighter with the T2T brace and the wing. The wheels are like 5lbs by themselves so that will definitely be heavier.

I just made the car even lighter by removing the heatsink and fan. It's not even getting warm so no need. Another 100gr down for to tonight.
Screenshot_20220126-082210.jpg

This is how it's racing tonight, there are plenty of ways to still make it lighter too

Agreed on the wheels. They look awesome for sure, but I can't see paying the money they cost then bash the crap out of them myself. Different strokes I guess?
Badlands are definitely bashing wheels, why would you not?

The car can take huge jumps with those wheels because the wheels add another suspension system

Last edited:
Been driving around with the racing wheels and it's so fun to be this responsive. I would weigh out the other wheels but I'm racing tonight again.

Car will be still lighter with the T2T brace and the wing. The wheels are like 5lbs by themselves so that will definitely be heavier.

I just made the car even lighter by removing the heatsink and fan. It's not even getting warm so no need. Another 100gr down for to tonight.
View attachment 195411

This is how it's racing tonight, there are plenty of ways to still make it lighter too

The car can take huge jumps with those wheels because the wheels add another suspension system
Looks great! Enjoy👍

View attachment 195411

As per the whole weight discussion I just looked on the Arrma website under detailed specs. We are indeed comparing apples to oranges, but let’s see whose rig has been modified to the most “portly” by percentage:
+Talion, 9 pounds, 7 ounces, (4.29 kilograms) no battery. 378mm wheelbase, 180mm height.
+Mojave, 11 pounds, 14 ounces (5.4 kilograms) no battery. 420mm wheelbase, 269mm height.
Neither of these is the EXB, because I couldn’t compare the EXB Mojave roller to a nonexistent EXB Talion roller, but one must assume the aluminum upgrade parts are very similar in weight between both models.
But the Mojave runs the XXL chassis and has a much heavier body, being bigger, taller, wider, and sporting the full cockpit and roll cage.
I’ll note that the RTR Mojave BLX RTR is only 6oz. shy of the weight of my EXB with all the EXB aluminum upgrades plus my own few upgrades. I also know that my Max6 1650 combo is a few oz. heavier than the Spektrum stuff in the RTR. So I maybe gained 3 or 4oz from stock, or plus roughly 4% from stock.
Considering your Talion started life (under the same criteria as above) at 9 pounds, 7oz, and now it’s 15.1 pounds (with your basher wheels and wing and braces) you’ve added over 5.65 pounds (90+ ounces) in weight, for a gain of roughly 33%. These are based on the “ballpark” weights you gave without a proper weigh in in “basher” mode setup.
So, in a real world assessment we’re not even in the same ballpark (planet?) as percentage of unnecessary weight gain over stock in our respective builds.
I’m glad you insisted on a weight comparison, that was fun. I kept it lean and mean, and you build the almost portliest Talion possible at considerable cost. And if we both experienced a reasonably comparable catastrophic crash you would break/bend or damage hundreds of dollars in parts more than I would. That one crash damage total coupled with the initial expense of all that stuff on your build list would allow you to go buy multiple more trucks. That‘s why, with all respect, I said your approach made no sense to me.
With all things considered I will concede that you built the coolest Talions I’ve probably seen and backed up the build with the most detailed and comprehensive information I’ve ever seen on a build log, so sincerely, very nice job. But you did build a very expensive pig.
Now let‘s break down the “smiles per dollar spent” topic… 😊. No, I’m just kidding. I’m sure we will both drive the freaking wheels off of each of our rigs and enjoy them to the fullest!
Nice build, man.

As per the whole weight discussion I just looked on the Arrma website under detailed specs. We are indeed comparing apples to oranges, but let’s see whose rig has been modified to the most “portly” by percentage:
+Talion, 9 pounds, 7 ounces, (4.29 kilograms) no battery. 378mm wheelbase, 180mm height.
+Mojave, 11 pounds, 14 ounces (5.4 kilograms) no battery. 420mm wheelbase, 269mm height.
Neither of these is the EXB, because I couldn’t compare the EXB Mojave roller to a nonexistent EXB Talion roller, but one must assume the aluminum upgrade parts are very similar in weight between both models.
But the Mojave runs the XXL chassis and has a much heavier body, being bigger, taller, wider, and sporting the full cockpit and roll cage.
I’ll note that the RTR Mojave BLX RTR is only 6oz. shy of the weight of my EXB with all the EXB aluminum upgrades plus my own few upgrades. I also know that my Max6 1650 combo is a few oz. heavier than the Spektrum stuff in the RTR. So I maybe gained 3 or 4oz from stock, or plus roughly 4% from stock.
Considering your Talion started life (under the same criteria as above) at 9 pounds, 7oz, and now it’s 15.1 pounds (with your basher wheels and wing and braces) you’ve added over 5.65 pounds (90+ ounces) in weight, for a gain of roughly 33%. These are based on the “ballpark” weights you gave without a proper weigh in in “basher” mode setup.
So, in a real world assessment we’re not even in the same ballpark (planet?) as percentage of unnecessary weight gain over stock in our respective builds.
I’m glad you insisted on a weight comparison, that was fun. I kept it lean and mean, and you build the almost portliest Talion possible at considerable cost. And if we both experienced a reasonably comparable catastrophic crash you would break/bend or damage hundreds of dollars in parts more than I would. That one crash damage total coupled with the initial expense of all that stuff on your build list would allow you to go buy multiple more trucks. That‘s why, with all respect, I said your approach made no sense to me.
With all things considered I will concede that you built the coolest Talions I’ve probably seen and backed up the build with the most detailed and comprehensive information I’ve ever seen on a build log, so sincerely, very nice job. But you did build a very expensive pig.
Now let‘s break down the “smiles per dollar spent” topic… 😊. No, I’m just kidding. I’m sure we will both drive the freaking wheels off of each of our rigs and enjoy them to the fullest!
Nice build, man.
Man I spent way too much time for you to guess what the weight is of some car i built weeks ago. Up above post you see the weight today. On my thread you have the weight of every screw, you can see what it weighs exactly, and you are off by almost a pound.

All that matters is how much is weighs right now, doesn't matter if you or Arrma put that weight there. How much weight you added is a question no one ever asks.

I have I think 6 sets of wheels and tires I drive on, why does only the absolute heaviest make your comparison? Those giant wheels are the ones I've run the least and they can roll right over your car.

Let's stick some little wheels on there and watch it drop to 9lbs

Sick build, I just started ordering up parts to build mine. Can you link me to the fan mount for the 1650 you used. I've been looking for something with dual 40s that will work that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Sick build, I just started ordering up parts to build mine. Can you link me to the fan mount for the 1650 you used. I've been looking for something with dual 40s that will work that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks, man! I love this truck, still my all time favorite.
Here‘s the link to the fan mount, and it’s awesome. Especially for the price! I highly recommend a pair of the 40mm aluminum bodied Rocket fans.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3342152315...9sBtA%2FGw%3D%3D|clp:2334524|tkp:BFBMgqD6iuxf

I appreciate the link, got one ordered. I'm 50/50 on the rocket fans dying on me (the 30mm ones at least). Pickins are kinda slim though and everything looks like a rocket knock off. Rolling the dice and picked up a pair of the 28k rpm ones. Thanks again.

I appreciate the link, got one ordered. I'm 50/50 on the rocket fans dying on me (the 30mm ones at least). Pickins are kinda slim though and everything looks like a rocket knock off. Rolling the dice and picked up a pair of the 28k rpm ones. Thanks again.
Yeah, I’ve thought the same thing. The Powerhobby fans appear identical, as do several other “name brands.” I’d bet dollars to donuts that they all come out of the same factory. I’ve only ever lost one fan, it was a 30mm, when a blade broke off sometime in the middle of a hard bash session. And it actually still worked fine, I just noticed it was missing a blade when I was cleaning the truck. That one was on an ESC. Also interesting to note that the tiny fan motors are all the same in all of them. The RPM of the fans are dictated by the size of the fan blades. That’s why the 30mm ones are 28K rpm and the numbers diminish the larger the fans get. I’ve always bought them from AliExpress (and waited a few weeks to get them) because I can order what I need and a couple extra ones for cheap.
All of that said, I was really surprised how much the dual fan setup actually cooled the motor. It dropped the motors temp substantially. I even bought a couple of smaller pinions because I thought I was going to have to gear down, but I’ve been able to keep the 21t pinion without the temps going above 170 or so. We‘ll see this summer when it gets hot, but double 40’s on the motor make a huge difference.
You’re going to have a ball with your Mojave. They’re fantastic trucks and IMO the perfect blend of size, speed, and power.

Yeah, I’ve thought the same thing. The Powerhobby fans appear identical, as do several other “name brands.” I’d bet dollars to donuts that they all come out of the same factory. I’ve only ever lost one fan, it was a 30mm, when a blade broke off sometime in the middle of a hard bash session. And it actually still worked fine, I just noticed it was missing a blade when I was cleaning the truck. That one was on an ESC. Also interesting to note that the tiny fan motors are all the same in all of them. The RPM of the fans are dictated by the size of the fan blades. That’s why the 30mm ones are 28K rpm and the numbers diminish the larger the fans get. I’ve always bought them from AliExpress (and waited a few weeks to get them) because I can order what I need and a couple extra ones for cheap.
All of that said, I was really surprised how much the dual fan setup actually cooled the motor. It dropped the motors temp substantially. I even bought a couple of smaller pinions because I thought I was going to have to gear down, but I’ve been able to keep the 21t pinion without the temps going above 170 or so. We‘ll see this summer when it gets hot, but double 40’s on the motor make a huge difference.
You’re going to have a ball with your Mojave. They’re fantastic trucks and IMO the perfect blend of size, speed, and power.
I'm sure your right about most of these fans just being re-branded. I've killed a ton of various brands/types. The only ones that have lasted going on a year now are the stock plastic housing yeah racing ones that came with the heatsink setup, go figure. Good call of just stocking up on some cheap ali express ones. I've ordered a few things from there completely forgotten about it, then a month or two later a surprise china package arrives, lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back