My first body mod goes down in flames

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
  2. Vorteks
Picked up a Traxxas Rustler body, clear for $22 at the LHS and a dremel knock-off.
Stacked the Vorteks body on top of the Rustler, marked the holes for drilling, traced pattern in rear to carve out shock tower relief and cinch down rear support.
Everything's going great, my first dremel experience is sailing along, relief carved then brick wall.
I should have shifted everything back about 3/8 inch.
Where I put the front holes is on a curved part of the body which prevents the body in front from sitting down low enough to get the body pins fastened.
At this point, to shift back the 3/8 in, would require more holes and carving, leaving the body with almost no rigid structure, more like Swiss cheese.
The third or fifth rollover would most likely collapse everything.
Oh well, a $22 lesson learned...

If it's a clear body, it's WAY easier to mark and drill holes before you paint it, just simply fit it how you want it over the car.

But I guess you figured that out now. :p

It's OK, I did something similar my first time.

Picked up a Traxxas Rustler body, clear for $22 at the LHS and a dremel knock-off.
Stacked the Vorteks body on top of the Rustler, marked the holes for drilling, traced pattern in rear to carve out shock tower relief and cinch down rear support.
Everything's going great, my first dremel experience is sailing along, relief carved then brick wall.
I should have shifted everything back about 3/8 inch.
Where I put the front holes is on a curved part of the body which prevents the body in front from sitting down low enough to get the body pins fastened.
At this point, to shift back the 3/8 in, would require more holes and carving, leaving the body with almost no rigid structure, more like Swiss cheese.
The third or fifth rollover would most likely collapse everything.
Oh well, a $22 lesson learned...
You can use drywall tape the mesh kind and shoe goo to make body stronger... it helps i do all mine at least around mounting holes and where ever it seems like its going to be stressed by rollovers... i have a thread in nero forum you should check out with pics of my nero body and the repairs ive made.

If it's a clear body, it's WAY easier to mark and drill holes before you paint it, just simply fit it how you want it over the car.

But I guess you figured that out now. :p

It's OK, I did something similar my first time.

I placed the Vorteks body straight above the Traxxas body and marked holes with a Sharpie.
Turns out, the Vorteks body, by the hood, extends straight for another 3/8 inch, then curves down.
From the same position, the Traxxas body curves down immediately, placing body posts in the way, preventing the body from sitting flush.
It all look perfectly aligned from the top and front, just not from the side.
So, I bought a Vorteks body off the Inventory Reduction page for $10. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back