Infraction My first ESC fire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notoriousone

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
So I had my first ESC fire with a Castle esc,
but it wasn't an XLX2, it was an MMX8s. I had just connected it for the first time to a Infraction, with a TP 4050 with 1800KV, on 8s. I turned it on and got all the startup beeps, it was fine. I gave it a bit of throttle and heard a pop and a whooshing noise. I pulled the body off and the MMX8s was in flames. The flames died down quickly, and I was able to pull the batteries off. This was the second time I had connected power to it, the first time it was fine with no issues. I sent it to Castle and to their credit they inspected it and agreed to warranty send me a new one, but its concerning because I have two XLX2's that are in the same situation, both have been ran before a few times only but with no issues. Both are from the first batch of bad esc's, but I have updated them to the latest updates.. I'm not going to take a chance, I'm sending both back to Castle. Wow It really sucks to buy these expensive esc's, solder connectors on, then have to send them back due to a faulty design before you even get to use it..

unnamed (1).jpg

Send them back to Castle and ask them to test them out well for any failure. That creates some risk to you and your rig. Imagine the lipo went up also?
I had a BLX185 torch my entire Notorious. Body melted center diff and all. It's no joke. HH repaired it. Would have been cheaper for them to replace it, but they were on B/O at the time. My son took video of it. Sent video to HH. Called me right back. Sent me a prepaid mailer within one day and jumped on it quickly. That was a serious liability IMO. . The rig was a lump of charged melted plastic. I put it in a plastic garbage bag and then in the original box. When I went to ship it, the shipper could even still smell the burnt rig all packaged up. He asked what it was. But still shipped it. He was even concerned of the strong fire smell.

It does not hurt to have CC test them for sure.
All the time and detail that goes into these builds it will be worth it.... MMX8s fires are pretty rare, but do happen. Mine has been a solid performer for about 1 year now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back