My first lipo charge. Neee advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f1andy83

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Ok. Before I charge for the first time. Can someone confirm I’m doing this the right way?

I have two 2s 7400mAh lipo batteries.

I have the charger set to balance charging 7.4A , 7.4v 2s

Pictures attached.

Attachments

• 8794E3C7-1DF5-443D-B0FB-66885C30345A.jpeg
    8794E3C7-1DF5-443D-B0FB-66885C30345A.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 69
  • FE265CEA-2EE7-4999-ABED-AF898213AEF7.jpeg
    FE265CEA-2EE7-4999-ABED-AF898213AEF7.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 66
Also. Is this the correct steps.

1 plug charger
2 plug cables on charger
3 plug xt90 on battery
4 plug balancing cable on battery
5 charge
6 unplug balancing
7 unplug battery
8 unplug charger
9 have fun

Just make sure you don't mix up step 2 and 3. Did that before. Did I mention my work bench is metal? I had a few seconds of my own up close and personal fireworks show before I snapped to and figured out what I did... LOL

So plugged it in. Charging using AC. Seems to be holding at 6.2A which is a little higher than I thought. My charger will only do 7.5A on both if I had DC. But looking good so far.

Attachments

• 2D9D3F46-B180-4734-9FAE-A557D6214251.jpeg
    2D9D3F46-B180-4734-9FAE-A557D6214251.jpeg
    348.3 KB · Views: 50
First run maybe 20 to 30 minutes. Breaking this. Learning to use it. Smooth. This thing is a beast. Wow. Just wow.

So should I put the battery in storage mode for the night ? And then charge when I wanna play again ? Then storage mode for the night etc ...

Towing girls RC that battery died home.

Attachments

• 5B880681-E12D-441E-B5E5-074426F6605C.jpeg
    5B880681-E12D-441E-B5E5-074426F6605C.jpeg
    721.4 KB · Views: 63
First run maybe 20 to 30 minutes. Breaking this. Learning to use it. Smooth. This thing is a beast. Wow. Just wow.

So should I put the battery in storage mode for the night ? And then charge when I wanna play again ? Then storage mode for the night etc ...

Yes, always storage charge the batteries when you're not going to use them. Personally I don't leave them fully charged unless I'm going to be using them within the next couple hours.

Two of the biggest lipo killers is draining them below 3.2 volts per cell and leaving them fully charged for days before using them.

Two of the biggest lipo killers is draining them below 3.2 volts per cell and leaving them fully charged for days before using them.
The draining took about 110 minutes. Which I am guess means I barely used those batteries. Next time I have to make sure I play for a lot longer. I’m blown away as for how long these batteries power this car. Now I’m trying to figure out what and how to clean if any is necessary after playing in the wet grass.

If you have access to an air compressor that is what I always use every time I'm done with my truck. Blow all the grass dirt and dust off of the whole thing before you put it away. Also most Chargers run a really low amperage when in storage mode. Mine only runs at 1or 2 amps and is none adjustable in storage mode.

7400mah batteries are pretty big too. Those will take awhile to storage charge. I run 5400mah batteries. 2-2s and 2-3s. They last me around 20-30 minutes.

Just fyi, storage charge max amps is usually lower than doing a full charge, so you may see your charger only put out half the amps it puts out when using storage mode. At least that's what I've seen on my 2 chargers.

Also, bigger/higher capacity chargers can usually discharge at a higher rate to drain a full pack down to storage voltage. I know my 4 x 100W charger can discharge at 5A/10W per port. Takes a long time to drain down a 9000mah 2S pack on that.

Just fyi, storage charge max amps is usually lower than doing a full charge, so you may see your charger only put out half the amps it puts out when using storage mode. At least that's what I've seen on my 2 chargers.

Also, bigger/higher capacity chargers can usually discharge at a higher rate to drain a full pack down to storage voltage. I know my 4 x 100W charger can discharge at 5A/10W per port. Takes a long time to drain down a 9000mah 2S pack on that.

I got lucky today. I think used my car for the perfect amount of time. It took 1 second for the charger to say storage complete. Lol.

I got lucky today. I think used my car for the perfect amount of time. It took 1 second for the charger to say storage complete. Lol.

Storage charge should bring the battery to 3.80-3.85 volts per cell. The low voltage cut off on the truck should be between 3.20 and 3.40 volts per cell. So you still had a decent amount of run time left. Those are big batteries you're using.

On the subject of how to prolong Lipo life, and what actually effects them, here is some good reading -
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
After going thru that, and realizing that my garage (where my lipos are stored) is 80-100 deg most of the summer, I don't stress out over storage... I do try to bump them up if they are under 3.5v, and I will discharger if over 4.0v but that is about it.

1 plug charger
2 plug cables on charger
3 plug xt90 on battery
5 charge
6 unplug balancing
7 unplug battery
8 unplug charger
9 have fun
You forgot one extremely important thing - always charge and store your LIPO batteries in a LIPO Sack, and/or a fireproof container! Else you might find your valuable new toy destroyed by fire along with a number of other things.

1 plug charger
2 plug cables on charger
3 plug xt90 on battery
5 charge
6 unplug balancing
7 unplug battery
8 unplug charger
9 have fun

This has to be in this order?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back