My garden is growing!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewSensei

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Senton 6s
I know it's not RC related but we finally got real cucumbers showing and they're already massive so I'm excited to share ;)

20200811_195658.jpg

Future pickles?
Some will be, already got the juice ready!

Growing some squash, corn, cantaloupe, tomatoes and green onions too but this is my first garden since I was a teen and I've learned much about the soil around my house and how it's growing very slow due to our stupid clay ridden Texas soil. Planted the cucumbers in a hole filled with potting soil, started watering every other day and putting on some miracle grow every two weeks or so...exciting producing my own food :p

Nice, like to have a garden but that's a lot of work and time. My neighbor gave me 6 tomato seedling that are potted and just started to flower.

Nice, like to have a garden but that's a lot of work and time. My neighbor gave me 6 tomato seedling that are potted and just started to flower.
Sounds like you have what I like to call a "bucket garden" we grew a potato plant in a 5 gallon bucket first...then I accidentally killed it through poor soil choice and not using any fertilizer. Gardens don't have to be huge ;)

Cucumbers, melons and tomato plants are all Vining plants so as long as you support them they can get pretty tall. You can also grow corn in a bucket or large pot on a patio ;)

Nice, looks good. I love my garden do one every year. Can't beat next to free food that tastes ten times better than from the store. Here's what I harvested today out of mine.
IMG_20200815_185043918.jpg

Nice, looks good. I love my garden do one every year. Can't beat next to free food that tastes ten times better than from the store. Here's what I harvested today out of mine.
View attachment 94669
I planted some butter squash almost three months ago and it's just now growing, no fruiting happening yet but the cucumbers are going nuts...

I think my soil is too compacted so it's slowing the growth down because we should have had something from our squash by now...kinda jealous you got so many gourds! ;)

Ya has definitely been an off year for us here in northern California too. Spring was hot then cold hot then cold and then summer has been hot we've had mid 90s for seems like 2 months with some thunderstorms. Those are yellow crook neck zucchini that have just gone way too long. The green on left is supposed to be green zucchini but think we had cross pollination with the yellow cause we got some odd "not green zucchini" lol. Definitely been different from the weather to the deer eating a bunch of it has been not the best year. Below is our "not green zucchini" definitely a mystery to us as the green one above on left is just picked earlier than the big yellow ones standing up in this picture but same plant that's why we think our green zucchini got cross pollinated with the yellow crook neck but?
IMG_20200805_083725525.jpg
IMG_20200805_084028249.jpg

Ya has definitely been an off year for us here in northern California too. Spring was hot then cold hot then cold and then summer has been hot we've had mid 90s for seems like 2 months with some thunderstorms. Those are yellow crook neck zucchini that have just gone way too long. The green on left is supposed to be green zucchini but think we had cross pollination with the yellow cause we got some odd "not green zucchini" lol. Definitely been different from the weather to the deer eating a bunch of it has been not the best year. Below is our "not green zucchini" definitely a mystery to us as the green one above on left is just picked earlier than the big yellow ones standing up in this picture but same plant that's why we think our green zucchini got cross pollinated with the yellow crook neck but?View attachment 94673View attachment 94674
Yup you gotta pick them earlier. If they do get to big and seedy I still use some. Cut they in half long ways scoop out the seeds then fill with butter, garlic, bacon bits and cover with shredded parm cheese. We call um zucchini boats round here. Yummm slap yo mama good????

I’ve planted a garden for the last 20 yrs. Started using raised beds about 15 yrs ago... For me it’s just so much better and the only way to go. It’s a lot of work but, very therapeutic it used to be cheaper to just go buy it from the store... But i think it should be a skill set everyone should know... especially in these crazy times of shortages and higher prices at the grocery. It well worth it. Nothing like fresh veggies !

I’ve planted a garden for the last 20 yrs. Started using raised beds about 15 yrs ago... For me it’s just so much better and the only way to go. It’s a lot of work but, very therapeutic it used to be cheaper to just go buy it from the store... But i think it should be a skill set everyone should know... especially in these crazy times of shortages and higher prices at the grocery. It well worth it. Nothing like fresh veggies !
Veggies smeggies. I’d rather have a chicken coup and some hunting land. Veggies take so much effort and give very little back. Take a large game animal and it can last a year.

No chicken coop... But, i have plenty of hunting land and always put a few slabs of beast in the freezer... Got to have the veggies to go with it. I feel the effort is well worth the reward.

No chicken coop... But, i have plenty of hunting land and always put a few slabs of beast in the freezer... Got to have the veggies to go with it. I feel the effort is well worth the reward.
Yeah to each his own. Just give me a larger steak, hold the veggies. I will eat them from time to time. I used to think they were necessary but I’ve learned they aren’t. I eat more berries than veggies.

Veggies smeggies. I’d rather have a chicken coup and some hunting land. Veggies take so much effort and give very little back. Take a large game animal and it can last a year.
Ya we've got 10 chickens as well and my property butts up to hundreds of acres of BLM land so I can literally walk 200 yrds from my house and hunt love my property to say the least.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back