My Kraton 8s garage build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chassis is just about ready for my buddy to make the bends. It’s a little big for my mill table but working out okay. Need to make the keyhole slot for the motor mount screw and the square hole for the suspension mount. Also line up the rear suspension mounts and finish those areas.
Found a little snaffu with making the chassis thicker. The front and rear skids/bumpers are made to work with a 4mm chassis. Those areas I will need to machine down to 4mm or think of something else. Anyway, slow progress.
Jim
B91536BD-FEB8-4E89-9D30-D8AAD8A56ECD.jpeg
C0272412-3E33-47A7-8678-690BDC47B098.jpeg

Had a little time today and the garage was not too cold. Started the motor slide for the 56mm can with 30mm bolt circle. It made it extra strong and captivated the main mount so that will be supported by the slide a little more. It will also slide like butter (the stock one i had to loosen the motor and mount bolts to get it to slide...). Also mocked up the rear/center brace with foam board. Still studying that, I only have one piece of aluminum for it and don’t want to screw it up. Chassis is done except for the bends. I may need to trim down the areas where the 10 degree bends are on each side from 5 to 4mm. I’m worried about cracking and the bend radius being too great. I need to talk to my fabricating buddy but he just got out of the hospital...dizzy spells. Of course they found nothing. Sucks getting old. Next week I hope to spring my project on him, he will shed some light on those bends for me.
Jim
257768D5-846B-42CE-82D6-2F08D4EC5EB3.jpeg
3B0C33E2-428B-40FB-8AB5-B38DCC6DFD4A.jpeg

You just would not believe the time it took to design a make this slider. Its held by 4 bolts instead of 3. I put another in the bottom slide and made the slot longer. It should've had 4 to begin with...I have a 27t mounted to a 5692 motor with more room for a larger can and bigger pinion. It's very solid, if that let's loose something would have to be very wrong.
20200103_043523.jpg
20200103_043534.jpg
20200103_043611.jpg

I like it...
The triangle reinforcement is a must have. I did barely the same on the 6s rig. But watch the towers in the case of overstiffness...
On the other hand, this Kraton is so big...
Huge quality work here. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Incredible as expected @Jimbobjr. Nothing I've seen you do is ever less than impeccable. Hope your buddy is doing better and that the symptoms have gone away. Looking forward to seeing this beast when completed.

Thanks for the kind words guys. The mount is as good as I can get it without making the whole thing. If I had to do that I’d probably just buy either the one on eBay or M2C(I can’t do the contours as nice). The bottom slide groove needs to be longer to get another screw in there though which I don’t think they are doing. Putting three tapped holes in the slide gives options as to where the second screw can go. The problem you get then is not being able to gain excess to it. The keyhole needs to be longer in the chassis or you have to remove the drive to get to it. The one on eBay (all_around_hobbies) does not have a picture of the bottom but you can see several holes in the one shot.

@pl9171 mentioned being too stiff for the towers. I think they are pretty cheap and easier to replace than the drive. The drive housing is all plastic, mounts with three screws to the motor mount and two to the chassis. It’s over a larger area but time will tell if it’s a weak point. Someone will be making that out of aluminum I hope.

Got my fingers crossed :cold: that the bends go ok, always a scary process...
Great job on the mill work!
Yes, 7075 does not like to bend but loves to crack. Pretty sure my friend will want me to thin the edges to 4mm. Center can be left 5mm though. Also the bends are close to the holes where the sides screw on. Aluminum can also be heated to anneal it for the bending process and then heated and cooled rapidly to harden it again. I never have done it just read about it... I left the whole chassis wide on each side so a wider die can be used. I will see my Buddy at church Sunday. Hoping he has time to take a look at it next week. His son runs the business now but he’s still the boss.
No worries @LibertyMKiii you got this (y)

I’ll send it to him:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rear/center brace nearly complete. Need to mount it and take some weight off.

Attachments

• 20200111_150215.jpg
    20200111_150215.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200111_150245.jpg
    20200111_150245.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 20200111_151813.jpg
    20200111_151813.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
@pl9171 mentioned being too stiff for the towers. I think they are pretty cheap and easier to replace than the drive. The drive housing is all plastic, mounts with three screws to the motor mount and two to the chassis. It’s over a larger area but time will tell if it’s a weak point. Someone will be making that out of aluminum I hope.

It's a point.
And wow... King Kong center brace...
What would/could be final weight...?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back