My Kraton 8s garage build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimbobjr,
Why on the center brace epoxy and pin? The epoxy would be more then enough strength. We use Sikaflex at work and never had a problem.

Jimbobjr,
Why on the center brace epoxy and pin? The epoxy would be more then enough strength. We use Sikaflex at work and never had a problem.
The brace is self supporting pushing the ends together. The pin, I figured, keeps it from pulling apart. Did it the same way in the oc. Perhaps expoxy is enough. The ends of the carbon tube are captivated in a face groove in the ends as well so they can’t split open.

Pretty much finished. I have the receiver box/servo mount and servo coming. Probably get the new castle or a max5 but going to run this for now.

The chassis and bracing weigh 550grams (1 1/4 lbs) more than stock. The carbon center brace weighs less. There is a lot of material removed from the bracing to try to keep some weight down but to make it stronger it has to be heavier.

Idk how thick jbi or m2c made there's but 5mm is fine for this setup. I did not take any material out of the chassis floor.

The solid chassis braces make the center drive harder to get at. The f or r end need to be removed. The center drive being sandwiched between the bracing down to the chassis is key and really the whole reason I took all this time to build it.

Thers is no hindging anywhere. All connections are file fitted and bottom out solid. No stress on the pins as the force is broadened over the whole connection. The end connections at the towers are one piece.

The center brace is similar to the one I made for my oc. It is epoxyed and pinned. (I've owned several bicycles made this way). This is very strong and not going anywhere. The center tower has been milled out a little to allow it to pass through.

Idk what you guys do for drop but I've added two 3mm low heads on each arm. It may help but the weight of the rig will flex the arms anyway most likely break shock ends in the process.

This whole mess was made in my shop. No computers or CNC. Using my eyeballs, brain, dial calipars, graph paper, hobby board and antique machine tools.
View attachment 71923View attachment 71924View attachment 71925View attachment 71926View attachment 71927View attachment 71928View attachment 71929View attachment 71931View attachment 71932View attachment 71933

looks awsome my friend.. that thing is going to be stout!?great work! a true machinist!? i would have replied sooner but i don't get notifications on this section.. ?

looks awsome my friend.. that thing is going to be stout!?great work! a true machinist!? i would have replied sooner but i don't get notifications on this section.. ?
Thanks for the kind words my friend, it is a fun build. The larger parts are a little harder to deal with. There’s also a lot less after market stuff for the k8s so you can’t benifit from other guys triumphs or failures like with the 6s models. There may be a few things I change. The front brace could be a little longer. I did not have a big enough piece of material. I think the batteries could be moved back a bit. With the heavy 56mm motors and bigger esc makes them a little nose heavy. That would just be a couple new hole in the chassis. I think someone else did this or maybe the m2c already comes with the extra holes for that option. Wire management is another small item. As I mention in my first post, the esc wires are too short to use the clips on the straps. If I use them it pulls the wires tight on the esc. I little flex and they will be pulled out. I’m going to make little holders and mount them to the center tower. The ec5 will be held together but with plenty of slack in the battery and esc wires.

I don't know what you guys do with your wires but I can't take them hanging there. The esc wires are too short to strap them down so I made some holders. They are .09" kydex molded to the shape of the connection and mounted to the center tower. Wanted to machine them out of aluminum but if the wires wear thru it would be the 4th of July under the body shell. The kydex is nice to work with. Takes a few tries to get them so they snap in nice.
20200331_135722.jpg
20200331_135919.jpg
20200331_135932.jpg

gotta love the workability of kydex...?? nice work my friend, and perfect location?
I’m no expert with it but I’m getting better. Having a little vise with some foam inserts helps. I hope to make some bumpers for my 6s rigs out of .125”.
The mounting holes are already in the tower...

I’m no expert with it but I’m getting better. Having a little vise with some foam inserts helps. I hope to make some bumpers for my 6s rigs out of .125”.
The mounting holes are already in the tower...
man, thats a great idea... looks like im off to get more kydex for bumpers... ?

What's kydex..?? ?
Check out youtube. Theres all kids of stuff you can mold with it. Works good with medium weight foam. the foam makes like a mold, you lay the foam down, heat up the kydex to the proper tempreture, put it on the foam, place a pistol, knife, phone what ever on top and press and hold it there until it cools. You then have an impression in which you can make a holster or wire holder out of. I have some stone guards I made for the kraton. its the only material ive found not to shatter. they've been on it for a year. It can be found on ebay and amazon for a few bucks a 12"x12" sheet.

Been out running this set up for a week now and starting to really like it. The stock spectrum esc and Hobbystar 5692 1120kv with a 30t pinion is pretty close to what I’m after. Motor gets a little warm though. I’m going to make a mount for the Arrma motor fan to take a few degrees off. Haven’t thermaled the esc yet.

Made my fan mount. Similar to the one a made for the hw4985 in the 6s kraton. I'm going to use the 2" arrma fan instead of the 2 hobbystar ones.

There's another look at my motor slide. It is killer, keyed and captivated, slides like butter.

Too tired to put it back together. Time for bed...

Attachments

• 20200407_025035.jpg
    20200407_025035.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20200407_025823.jpg
    20200407_025823.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200407_025835.jpg
    20200407_025835.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200407_030333.jpg
    20200407_030333.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200407_030318.jpg
    20200407_030318.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 66
Running this setup with great results. Only troubles were one broken rear arm, and broken front upper hinge pin. The steering was weak and found like in the 6s models, the pillow ball nuts self tightening. Anyone thinking their servo is no good needs to check the pillow balls first. Lower ones seem to tighten upper loosen. Crazy...
20200410_180233.jpg

This thing has been kicking my ass lately. Broke two arms last weekend and my motor freezes up today in mid air. It’s the Hobbystar 5692, 1120kv. It was packed with dust and peeled back the coating on the stater (whatever it’s called..). I cleaned it up and put it back together, I’m sure it won’t last. Where does all the dirt come from? Thru the bearings? The screw holes in the mount are all covered up...going to set this aside and run my crawler for a while....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back