Kraton My kraton exb build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
My wife ordered me the exb roller in early November for Christmas when the promo price was going on. Since then, I've been collecting parts. Finally got everything to start building it Monday.

2021-1115-kraton-side-body-high.jpg

2021-1115-kraton-top.jpg

Most of the stuff:
2021-1201-kraton-MotorFansAndOtherPartsSoFar.jpg

Rocket 4092 1650kv
hobbystar hcs-4521 servo
Mugen shim kit (seems unnecessary now)
Arrma open diff kit
M2C rear tower brace
Spektrum SR215 receiver I've had in a drawer for over a year as a spare
Bearings for steering posts
35mm fan for blx185 I was thinking of putting in it... ended up getting a max6, fan fits that too
30mm fans for the NHX motor cooler spare a friend gave me
Clips for the servo saver to stiffen it up

I was going to run a rocket 4092 1650kv in it with a blx185 I have, then hobbywing usa had the max6 for $128 shipped on black Friday.
Have since gotten:
Max6
Probodyrc body - Red (still waiting for it)
3DRC Red Wing mount
3DRC black front bumper spring
t-bone wheelie bar/skid plate
Hot Racing center diff cover/bearing holder inserts

Before I started messing with the diffs:
2021-1207-kraton-02-startBuild-MotorESCSide-high.jpg

After finishing the diffs and making a wing block to use instead of the wing:
2021-1209-kraton-escSide-high.jpg

2021-1209-kraton-escSide-top.jpg

Then I cut the wing mount legs down to use the lower set of holes with the 3d wing mounts. They have a ridge on them that get in the way if you don't cut the little legs.
2021-1210-kraton-escSide-low.jpg

Last edited:
My wife ordered me the exb roller in early November for Christmas when the promo price was going on. Since then, I've been collecting parts. Finally got everything to start building it Monday.

2021-1115-kraton-side-body-high.jpg

2021-1115-kraton-top.jpg

Most of the stuff:
2021-1115-kraton-top.jpg

Rocket 4092 1650kv
hobbystar hcs-4521 servo
Mugen shim kit (seems unnecessary now)
Arrma open diff kit
M2C rear tower brace
Spektrum SR215 receiver I've had in a drawer for over a year as a spare
Bearings for steering posts
35mm fan for blx185 I was thinking of putting in it... ended up getting a max6, fan fits that too
30mm fans for the NHX motor cooler spare a friend gave me
Clips for the servo saver to stiffen it up

I was going to run a rocket 4092 1650kv in it with a blx185 I have, then hobbywing usa had the max6 for $128 shipped on black Friday.
Have since gotten:
Max6
Probodyrc body - Red (still waiting for it)
3DRC Red Wing mount
3DRC black front bumper spring
t-bone wheelie bar/skid plate
Hot Racing center diff cover/bearing holder inserts

Before I started messing with the diffs:

After finishing the diffs and making a wing block to use instead of the wing:
2021-1209-kraton-escSide-high.jpg

Then I cut the wing mount legs down to use the lower set of holes with the 3d wing mounts. They have a ridge on them that get in the way if you don't cut the little legs.
2021-1210-kraton-escSide-low.jpg
Sounds like a good recipe 👍
Just out of curiosity, do peeps replace or shim the non adjustable servo saver on these? My front tires flop around like crazy while running.
I know Arrma has an upgrade spring, should be standard in an EXB no?
I have the 4092/max6 also, it rips!
Congrats😃

Just out of curiosity, do peeps replace or shim the non adjustable servo saver on these? My front tires flop around like crazy while running.
Congrats😃
I didn't know they had a different spring... I put 3-4 mm of the clips under my spring to stiffen it up, so will see how it does. On my outcast, I have the hot racing steering post that has a lockable knurl nut on it, but it's more of a pain than it was worth. The locking screw on the knurl nut is never pointing in a direction I can get to it without removing the stupid thing anyway. So I figured I'd just use clips and see how that does.

I might order a red front bumper/spring thing from @3d-rc.myshopify.com if he has them in stock. The black one is fine, but I'd really like to see red there. I can give the black one to a new basher buddy of mine, or keep it as a spare in case I tear one. He didn't have any red ones when I ordered mine...

Last edited:
Congrats😃
I replaced mine with the old adjustable one.
Yeah the EXB comes with the HD spring.

"After finishing the diffs and making a wing block to use instead of the wing:"
How are you making this and what body are you using? 🤔
I just use HDPE that's 1/2" thick or so. Basically an industrial cutting board off amazon. Cut it to the size I want, then sand all the edges off so they are nice and rounded. Then it doesn't dig in so bad when it hits the ground. Also never breaks.

I'll be using a probodyrc unbreakable body for it when it gets here. I sold the body it came with to @GRIFFINJ and he gave me an old basher body to get me through until the new one shows up.

Not sure why half my photo's aren't showing up, but you can see the end result in them if they load for you.

Had it's first bash last weekend. I knew it would drive different than the outcast, but it's a lot different. Flies so much easier and can be driven so much faster without having to feather the throttle all the time. Pretty sure I'll start breaking stuff more as it just begs to run WOT. Will see how long the EXB chassis lasts me... probably have m2c before the end of Summer. lol!

So far, not a huge fan of how the t-bone rear skid/bumper/wheelie bar mounts. It relies on the 2 m3 long screws that hold the hinge pin plate on, with a block that is about 1.5" tall that put a lot of leverage on those screws. Think I'll try and figure something out to screw it to the diff cover like I did on my outcast.

I broke a tie rod 34 seconds into the first pack. Had too many shims/clips under the servo saver which effectively locked it. After 30 minute of swearing and nearly stabbing myself with a screwdriver, I got 2 or 3 of them out, replaced the tierod with a spare one I carry for the outcast. Made it through 3.5 hard packs, then clipped a tree half way through the 4th pack and snapped a rear arm. Didn't get it on video, camera wasn't recording... :( Luckily, @leroychurchill found the dogbone that went flying.

Got home and ordered the arms and a pair of lunsford tierods for it. It's ready to go again, but still waiting on the body and tierods.

First bash footage:

Great build!

Are you happy with the switch position on the side of the ESC? Any issues with heat?

I like this position, 'cause it looks like one can reach it with the body on.

Thanks,
Jonty

I just use HDPE that's 1/2" thick or so. Basically an industrial cutting board off amazon. Cut it to the size I want, then sand all the edges off so they are nice and rounded. Then it doesn't dig in so bad when it hits the ground. Also never breaks.

I'll be using a probodyrc unbreakable body for it when it gets here. I sold the body it came with to @GRIFFINJ and he gave me an old basher body to get me through until the new one shows up.

Not sure why half my photo's aren't showing up, but you can see the end result in them if they load for you.

Had it's first bash last weekend. I knew it would drive different than the outcast, but it's a lot different. Flies so much easier and can be driven so much faster without having to feather the throttle all the time. Pretty sure I'll start breaking stuff more as it just begs to run WOT. Will see how long the EXB chassis lasts me... probably have m2c before the end of Summer. lol!

So far, not a huge fan of how the t-bone rear skid/bumper/wheelie bar mounts. It relies on the 2 m3 long screws that hold the hinge pin plate on, with a block that is about 1.5" tall that put a lot of leverage on those screws. Think I'll try and figure something out to screw it to the diff cover like I did on my outcast.

I broke a tie rod 34 seconds into the first pack. Had too many shims/clips under the servo saver which effectively locked it. After 30 minute of swearing and nearly stabbing myself with a screwdriver, I got 2 or 3 of them out, replaced the tierod with a spare one I carry for the outcast. Made it through 3.5 hard packs, then clipped a tree half way through the 4th pack and snapped a rear arm. Didn't get it on video, camera wasn't recording... :( Luckily, @leroychurchill found the dogbone that went flying.

Got home and ordered the arms and a pair of lunsford tierods for it. It's ready to go again, but still waiting on the body and tierods.

First bash footage:
Awesome bash! That place was made for bashing!? Dang, I'd love to find a spot like that. Looks like y'all had a good time👍 Thanks for sharing👌

Great build!

Are you happy with the switch position on the side of the ESC? Any issues with heat?

I like this position, 'cause it looks like one can reach it with the body on.

Thanks,
Jonty

View attachment 202071
Nope. I have it that way on both the outcast and kraton. Seems to do fine as long as you clean both the esc and switch with DA first.

My probodyrc body showed up a while ago, got that installed:
2022-0310-kraton-HW4985SL-M2CChassis-body-side-high.jpg

With that, I decided to get a second 3DRC bumper spring, this time red was in stock;
2022-0109-kraton-3dRCRedBumperSpring-body-front.jpg

Also got some 3D printed roof skids for it off ebay.

My b-day was yesterday and my wife got me a M2C chassis, M2C ackerman bar and HW4985 motor. Since mine was an EXB, the ackerman bar is holding up, so I'll keep the M2C one as a spare. My outcast has a scorched rc titanium one that's fine too. Powerhobby makes a motor fan clamp that holds 2x30mm or 2x40mm fans for 47-49mm motors, so I got that in anticipation of my b-day along with a couple 40mm high rpm fans and fan covers off aliexpress a month or so ago. Hoping I can run higher gearing than I could with the 4092/1650kv, otherwise this was a total waste of $. I put a 21T in, will see how it does in the coming months.
2022-0310-kraton-HW4985SL-M2CChassis-electronics.jpg

2022-0310-kraton-HW4985SL-M2CChassis-side-high.jpg

I had also bought some 4MM ID tubing off amazon to make some bump stops for the front shocks as I was having the bones pop out of the cups last time I ran it. Seemed to happen on hard off kilter front landings when the shocks were fully compressed on one side. Hoping that helps with that issue.

Nope. I have it that way on both the outcast and kraton. Seems to do fine as long as you clean both the esc and switch with DA first.

My probodyrc body showed up a while ago, got that installed:
2022-0310-kraton-HW4985SL-M2CChassis-body-side-high.jpg

With that, I decided to get a second 3DRC bumper spring, this time red was in stock;
2022-0109-kraton-3dRCRedBumperSpring-body-front.jpg

Also got some 3D printed roof skids for it off ebay.

My b-day was yesterday and my wife got me a M2C chassis, M2C ackerman bar and HW4985 motor. Since mine was an EXB, the ackerman bar is holding up, so I'll keep the M2C one as a spare. My outcast has a scorched rc titanium one that's fine too. Powerhobby makes a motor fan clamp that holds 2x30mm or 2x40mm fans for 47-49mm motors, so I got that in anticipation of my b-day along with a couple 40mm high rpm fans and fan covers off aliexpress a month or so ago. Hoping I can run higher gearing than I could with the 4092/1650kv, otherwise this was a total waste of $. I put a 21T in, will see how it does in the coming months.
2022-0310-kraton-HW4985SL-M2CChassis-electronics.jpg

2022-0310-kraton-HW4985SL-M2CChassis-side-high.jpg

I had also bought some 4MM ID tubing off amazon to make some bump stops for the front shocks as I was having the bones pop out of the cups last time I ran it. Seemed to happen on hard off kilter front landings when the shocks were fully compressed on one side. Hoping that helps with that issue.
Looking good 👌 She's gotta be a ripper!!🤘

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back