Kraton My Kraton Exb Rear Diff Solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have a reduced lsd effect with the lsd kit, it’s shown on their website now.

I tried it that way also and still wasn't what I was looking for.
Im confused what did it do exactly??
To my understanding using the 3 star disks is like running the as shims? Does it still behave like an open diff or with a bit of limit slip action? If this is the fix then great!!

Yes. Completely open just with the added support behind the sun gears basically. So its no way any of the gears can become loose or unmesh

Im confused what did it do exactly??
To my understanding using the 3 star disks is like running the as shims? Does it still behave like an open diff or with a bit of limit slip action? If this is the fix then great!!
I rebuilt my diff this way with all star disks on one side two star disk on the other and put three shims two small one of the larger on each side.So far it has maintained. Then the ring gear snapped teeth. I didn’t have shims on the outside because they wouldn’t fit.
Anyone else busting ring gears? I’m just running around my yard nothing Extreme at all

Attachments

• 852A5FE0-6867-449E-88F6-A7EC98A5A3CC.jpeg
    852A5FE0-6867-449E-88F6-A7EC98A5A3CC.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 5D898488-5CC9-4907-B834-99B20D565E27.jpeg
    5D898488-5CC9-4907-B834-99B20D565E27.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 89
I rebuilt my diff this way with all star disks on one side two star disk on the other and put three shims two small one of the larger on each side.So far it has maintained. Then the ring gear snapped teeth. I didn’t have shims on the outside because they wouldn’t fit.
Anyone else busting ring gears? I’m just running around my yard nothing Extreme at all
Why not 6 star plates 3 n both sides? I think i gonna need a hot racing alluminum diff case knowing how the alluminum yokes did on my 4s kraton a hot racing diff case in the rear is a must and will make the ring and pinion maybe last for ever the flex is what killing your teeths you can see it clearly or the whole teeth would have snap and not the top of it
But is the diff limited or feels like its still an open diff?

Why not 6 star plates 3 n both sides? I think i gonna need a hot racing alluminum diff case knowing how the alluminum yokes did on my 4s kraton a hot racing diff case in the rear is a must and will make the ring and pinion maybe last for ever the flex is what killing your teeths you can see it clearly or the whole teeth would have snap and not the top of it
But is the diff limited or feels like its still an open diff?
The diff feels open and the reason I didn’t put all three on both sides is because it would bind with three with two it felt like a normal diff. Right now I’m building a v4 diff with HR cup and tearing down the rear end to install a HR gear box. ? I have them on all my 6s Arrmas. Oh well diffs are still a weak point

Did anyone though the diffs are failing in the rear because of the limit slip in the middle?? Makes me think of a locked slipper clutch might be a good idea to move the plates for the less limited mode

@Dscracing1320 how's the rear diff holding up? Did you measure what the thickness of the three friction plates together was?

My EXB is on pre-order but I was thinking if I can find a washer with similar thickness and ID/OD, might be a cheaper alternative to buying the LSD kits. Or would a washer be a bad idea?

@Dscracing1320 how's the rear diff holding up? Did you measure what the thickness of the three friction plates together was?

My EXB is on pre-order but I was thinking if I can find a washer with similar thickness and ID/OD, might be a cheaper alternative to buying the LSD kits. Or would a washer be a bad idea?
You might be able to shim it instead of the LSD plates. I received my shims today but I won’t receive my replacement rear diff for a week or so.

I did have a nice bash with my EXB tonight using the V4 diff w/spiral ring and pinion and it made it thru fine. I built it with two extra satellite shims and Mugen shims behind the pins, plus it took three Kyosho shims on the ring side bearing. The pinion was smooth for all ring teeth except 3-4 teeth where it had the gear notchy feel. I ran it this way and it held up really well. ✊?

Two of the plates sit below where the shims would sit. It's really only one player that it sits on top of.

Yeah saw some pics on a thread you started I believe ??. My thinking is, having the backside of the satellite gear flush with the plates or washer/shim to give it more surface area compared to just the cross/X section of the gear.

Without having my EXB to do some troubleshooting on the rear diff, I can only assume. Looking at various pics of the rear diff gears on this forum, I wonder if the satellite gear rattles back and forth or seesaws in place with the recommended shims prior to installing together?

What power are you running?

I drove a 6s v3 kraton and i was surprised it was loud and did not go more than 2/5 throttle my friend left me try it and the slight trigger pull and it was going fast vs my kraton 4s. He had the minikawa tires tho

I stopped at my LHS - Great Hobbies in Ottawa to pick up RPM skid plates and bumper for my Notorious. They didn’t even have the shims and active diff plates in their computer so I had them special order 2 of all three part numbers. (Big shims, smaller shims and active diff plates) As the guy is setting up the special order one of the other guys comes out of the back with the list of those three plus the gear sets. Seems he shredded his EXB rear diff. I talked them into ordering a couple dozen of each. HH has been prioritizing LHSs so I suspect it’s my best bet.

I stopped at my LHS - Great Hobbies in Ottawa to pick up RPM skid plates and bumper for my Notorious. They didn’t even have the shims and active diff plates in their computer so I had them special order 2 of all three part numbers. (Big shims, smaller shims and active diff plates) As the guy is setting up the special order one of the other guys comes out of the back with the list of those three plus the gear sets. Seems he shredded his EXB rear diff. I talked them into ordering a couple dozen of each. HH has been prioritizing LHSs so I suspect it’s my best bet.
For the shims you will have to wait until september thats what horizon website says but the mugen shims would be the other way arround+lsd

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back