My Kraton EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch! I have to say, you blasted that front diff case apart worse than I have ever seen. 😳

Thanks for the data. Interesting- it may be that those experiencing ESC thermal issues should simply replace the ESC fan proactively as you could easily have a bad bushing or a missing fan blade.

It would be interesting to see if there is a difference with no heatsink and just the fan on the motor.

Ouch! I have to say, you blasted that front diff case apart worse than I have ever seen. 😳

Thanks for the data. Interesting- it may be that those experiencing ESC thermal issues should simply replace the ESC fan proactively as you could easily have a bad bushing or a missing fan blade.

It would be interesting to see if there is a difference with no heatsink and just the fan on the motor.
I over rotated the backflip and landed almost entirely on the front tires from about 30ft in the air while the tires were spinning mighty fast lol. The diff still looks great, but I don’t think the bulkhead was able to handle the impact and torque from the front diff.

Taking the heat sink on and off is kind of a pain which is why I didn’t try it without it. If I ever have it off again I may try it out with just a fan and see if it’s better or worse. Right now I’m trying to decide if it’s worth spending almost $100 on an aluminum bulkhead. I could get 10 plastic ones for that price!

I over rotated the backflip and landed almost entirely on the front tires from about 30ft in the air while the tires were spinning mighty fast lol. The diff still looks great, but I don’t think the bulkhead was able to handle the impact and torque from the front diff.

Taking the heat sink on and off is kind of a pain which is why I didn’t try it without it. If I ever have it off again I may try it out with just a fan and see if it’s better or worse. Right now I’m trying to decide if it’s worth spending almost $100 on an aluminum bulkhead. I could get 10 plastic ones for that price!

Wow, that is a massive hit. I would just get another plastic one, it’s not like you will have monster hits like that very often. Right? 😱
I also wonder, if you switch to aluminum bulkheads and take a big hit like that, what breaks? That force goes somewhere if it is transferred through the bulkhead instead of deforming and breaking the plastic to absorb some of the hit.

The day she arrived. Fresh out of the box and the last time she will ever be this clean and shiny.
View attachment 119493

I promptly installed the electronics below:
- HobbyWing Max6 ESC
- HobbyWing 4985SL 1650kv motor
- Annimos 35Kg HV Servo
- Futaba T4PM transmitter
- Futaba R304SB 4-channel receiver
- Zeee 8000mah 3s batteries x2
- Robinson Racing 20t pinion

View attachment 119494

First mod was to reinforce the underside of the body. I laid down the drywall tape one strip at a time and used some hot glue on the corners to keep it in place. Once the whole body was covered I added a very generous amount of loctite power grab clear. I would dump a pile on the body and then spread it out by hand. I used the caulking gun sized tube of loctite. This made it much easier to dispense.
View attachment 119495

These next photos is what she looked like after running 3 sets of batteries during her first bash!
View attachment 119496

As you can see in the photo below, the rear of the chassis was getting pretty beat up. That led to my second mod which is the M2C Racing rear skid plate. The website said this wouldn't fit the stock EXB chassis, but it ended up fitting perfectly. Not sure if the v2 EXB chassis is different than the v1.
View attachment 121388View attachment 121389

Overall this EXB is holding up great. The Max6 combo makes this truck a monster and I have a hard time keeping it on all four wheels. I’m currently dealing with a heat issue on the ESC. I’ve ordered a motor heat sink, fans, and a smaller 18t pinion to see if that helps.
Powerhobby has a high speed 35 mm fan for max 6 works good the og one is junk

Powerhobby has a high speed 35 mm fan for max 6 works good the og one is junk
I actually bought the power hobby fan to replace the stock one but broke it after two runs as well. The 40mm server fans are holding up a lot better but they take up more real estate and power.

I actually bought the power hobby fan to replace the stock one but broke it after two runs as well. The 40mm server fans are holding up a lot better but they take up more real estate and power.
Ok cool I didn’t read whole post just thought let you know mines holding up so far but fans are fans and they all break at some point

Ok cool I didn’t read whole post just thought let you know mines holding up so far but fans are fans and they all break at some point
I appreciate the tips either way. It’s trial and error sometimes lol.

I haven't posted much since it has been too hot to go outside and bash most days, but now that things are starting to cool down a little I decided to do some upgrades.

At some point I sheared off the screw that holds the rear center brace to the chassis so I decided to go ahead and replace both center braces with M2C parts. They're polished aluminum and come with an extended screw and locking nut in case I somehow shear the screw again. I also pulled the trigger on the M2C chassis. The stock chassis is pretty beat up but it has held up decently. Only very minor bending from what I can tell.
unnamed.jpg

I also ordered a set of DBoots Backflip MT's. These are take-offs from the 6S Outcast, which I ordered from JennysRC. I've heard great things about them and I could use more traction on the loose dirt we have around here.
unnamed (1).jpg

Lastly, I bought an aluminum framed 35mm ESC fan. With some minor sanding to the ESC cover on my Max6 it should fit just fine. I was using the 40mm server fans for a while, but after breaking the frame on 3 of them doing bigger jumps, I decided to give the aluminum frame a try.
unnamed (2).jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back