Limitless My Limitless Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the wiring and cap pack is complete.
I printed off so wire guides (if you will) to manage the Y connector. Afterwards I redesigned it to have a smaller hole for the wire
due to the 1st one was not snug enough. Its printing now.
As per the Cap Pack.
I went out on my own for connecting things. After seeing how @LibertyMKiii did his connections I went with a single row
of 1800 caps. My 3d printed tray was spot on for the hole spacings and spacing for the caps so I was happy about that.
Thanks to Mouser for having the 3d design onsite.
I didn't want the caps jiggling around so as I placed each on on the tray I used a spot of hot glue to
secure them and made sure each was level and true with the tray.
I bent and arranged the leads and then pre-tinned and then went back to solder them into place.
I may have went over board but since I wanted to use an XT60 connector to manage/remove it I added 2 bars of 12ga household copper wire.
Out of the factory most solid strand copper wire has a thin coating from the factory so I sanded both to a shiny surface to remove and allow a better
solder adhesion. I brushed them both with paste and pre-tinned both sections.
Even though it doesn't look "great" each cap is thoroughly connected to each other and the wire.
I pre-charged the pack with a 3S battery and tested the voltage which agreed with the 3S pack voltage. Had to do so quickly
since I read they discharge slowly after being charged.
I do not have any fancy ways to check caps so I just winged it :)
Since I didn't have any liquid tape I used the old stand by...hot glue to protect the leads.
(yes I removed the excess paste residue before before applying :) )
I ordered some 65mm PVC shrink wrap to cover it.
First time out I am happy with it but time will tell with logs and such.
That's the true Joy of RC, Make if you can :)
Cheers and Happy Sunday :)
Note if anyone is interested in the wire management feel free to download and print.
https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/63322-wire-management

View attachment 138946
View attachment 138947
View attachment 138948
View attachment 138949
View attachment 138950
That wire management solution looks good. I was wanting to convert to the 8mm bullets from XT style connectors. Curious, how do you store the LiPos safely with the open bullet style terminals?

That wire management solution looks good. I was wanting to convert to the 8mm bullets from XT style connectors. Curious, how do you store the LiPos safely with the open bullet style terminals?
@Lawzy Well as with all of my Lipo's I take great care in their storage. The batteries pictured have bullets since that was my original game plan to reduce the foot print, they are my "warm up" batteries but when I ordered my SMC batteries I selected to have the QS8 connectors added. The bullets on my setup fit nicely inside of them. As per the batteries with the bullets I just make sure they are not near anything else, To date they have done well and yes I suppose there is that risk factor.

@Lawzy Well as with all of my Lipo's I take great care in their storage. The batteries pictured have bullets since that was my original game plan to reduce the foot print, they are my "warm up" batteries but when I ordered my SMC batteries I selected to have the QS8 connectors added. The bullets on my setup fit nicely inside of them. As per the batteries with the bullets I just make sure they are not near anything else, To date they have done well and yes I suppose there is that risk factor.
That makes sense. I hedged my bets and ordered bullets and QS8s. I liked the idea of bullets to save room, but the QA8s make a little more sense. Good to hear they are compatible.

I just made up four packs with 8mm bullets and I just left about 1/2” of extra shrink wrap off the end of the bullet and did not shrink that part. I only hit the part behind the bullet itself. My shrink wrap has adhesive inside as well, so this home made boot won’t slide up the wire.

9D294AF4-86A3-4E0A-8399-3DB4471EA306.jpeg

I just made up four packs with 8mm bullets and I just left about 1/2” of extra shrink wrap off the end of the bullet and did not shrink that part. I only hit the part behind the bullet itself. My shrink wrap has adhesive inside as well, so this home made boot won’t slide up the wire.

View attachment 160102
I’ve ordered some CNHL batteries with the 8mm bullets so I’ll also try the shrink option. Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back