My Little Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rechecked all screws and got in a range check with my new receiver. All is good. No real attempt at passes. Only took out a 4s. Rear end on white hoons likes to slide out. It's very consistent and controllable. Doesn't appear that one wheel is being driven harder than the other. When the temps go back up ill try another set of grp s4. 73 degrees. Pavement is probably cooler as it rained pretty good yesterday. I used my SKYRC to drive as far in each direction as I could see then drove myself to the car and checked the distance in two directions. Now seeing it and telling you which direction it is facing are two entirely different stories!! About 1100 feet to my left about around 1300 to my right. The right starts to go up a hill onto another road so I had a lot ...a little more ability to see it drive off. I also tend to stand on the tonneau cover on my truck.

Now for the sun to return.

New shoes arrived today!!! Looks like 9/19 might be the next time I attempt to run based on the weather I'm looking at. Meanwhile I'm going to get some more time in with this Kraton I picked up. I didn't realize exactly how big it was until I introduced her to the pack.

20200910_183458.jpg

20200910_173620.jpg

I think I just solved my traction issue. At least in my mind I did and that's all I've got right now because it's dark and wet outside. I've been leisurely going through some of my data logs and it dawned on me that my traction issues occurred right around the time I stopped running my gensacearespammers 50c 5000mah packs (2x3s). I switched over to a CNHL G+ Plus 70c. Looking at my data I began wondering why the buttocks of my car just walks out ever so gracefully across the road now. The first thing I was curious about was the voltage. Looking at my logs I immediately saw huge differences in voltage sag. Some data showed variances approaching 3+ volts difference between the the packs. At 3.2 volts that's about a 6560rpm unloaded rpm difference in theory. Shout out to all those math teachers who said I'm not always going to have a calculator in my pocket.....:rolleyes::ROFLMAO: (*CObull:poop:UGH*) This is all a theory as I'm pretty sure as with all variances that motor isn't actually a 2050kv. On runs with identical gearing and the only other difference being the battery and maybe the time of day / weather, the data also showed a consistent jump in rpm. Sometimes in the mid to medium high 2k range. I believe my traction issues are in my finger. I've been running the car in the same locations using natural points to determine where I am in my run and when I accelerate / brake not accounting for the additional wheel speed. What further points me in this direction is that by this juncture I was off the S7 and on the S4 GRP tires, so if anything I should have had better traction than with the S7 as the weather has cooled down a bit. Furthermore, I had to drop the lvc on esc to even approach the speeds I've been able to accomplish using the gensacearespammers packs. Right or wrong, there is some gratification in having the ability to decipher some of this information using the logging features in my MMX8S!

Two randoms. Got the OSE connectors installed on the batteries, esc, and new charge leads...these things are HUGE! I used two bricks to hold them in place as I soldered them. One of those bricks is now broken as the rage that ensued at the death of the ceramic in my iron was not kind to it. Another reason my theory and data browsing was so gratifying. Balance? Lil bit of bad, the idea of a whole lot of good? Also picked up a 2 Futaba 4PK fasst transmitters with a couple of receivers with 4 receivers over the last couple of weeks. I never experienced range issues, but that screen..........that screen is nice.

Last edited:
Been a couple of days since I've been out to run the Typhon. Got up this am went to the hobby shop to get some differential oil for the Kraton, body paint and other miscellaneous items. I took my Typhon with me so that I could run when I got back to town. Setup at my spot and for some reason I was nervous as hell. I couldn't hold the transmitter, my hands were visibly shaking. You would have thought I'd seen a ghost. After coming up with my finger is the problem theory, I added 20% punch in the MMX8S. This was my first run since having traction issues. First pass I got a little squirmy at my midway point, so I backed down and let the car just coast. 71MPH. Second time something didn't feel right. I was still a bit nervous. So I went and sat in the truck for a few minutes and surfed the internet.. you know.. something I'm good at.

Got out of the truck to do another run. Went off without a hitch. NEW PB 116MPH!!!
13 SEPTEMBER 2020 BLX 2050 6S CNHL G PLUS 32 29 116MPH NEW PB.jpg
Screenshot_20200913-125650_GNSS PA.jpg

Last edited:
Went out to do some testing on my new to me Futaba 4pk. All is well. Still having traction issues. When I went to retrieve my car from the grass I picked it up. Im not sure why but I decided to heat up the tires and that is when I realized I had very little power going to the front wheels. Benched it and stripped the front end to discover a boogered up input gear. Ordered new shims and input gear. Ring gear looks good.
20200915_154801.jpg

20200914_174205.jpg

Woke up today with thought of driving my "Limited." Unfortunately, that didn't go as anticipated as I'm having mechanical issues. Today it was a whopping 57 degrees outside!!! I know, shorts and t-shirt weather, but definitely not tire weather. I have a new set of GRP S4 mounted on the typhon and I decided to try my luck. The first thing I immediately noticed is that (obviously) the Arrma Limitless is a more stable platform and not as sensitive to steering inputs. That being said, it's going to remain a parking lot thrasher and I'm sticking with speed on the typhon. Made a few passes trying to reacclimate myself to going really fast in a straight line. It took a LONG time before my tires wanted to cooperate / heat up. I made two....1.5 successful passes. The first at 113 and the second at 109. The 109 pass was flawless. The 113 pass ended up in me taking the walk of shame because I forgot the increase my steering rate while turning around and i ran off the road and lost sight of it. Once I could see it again, I drove it back to me.

Today was a good day. I think my nerves are settled, I also think I'm done until the weather warms back up. 109 will end my Typhon season. My personal best was 116 although I hit 121 unofficially. I'm happy with that. In the mean time, I guess I'll put this expensive paperweight in the closet and break out the DBXL & Kraton!

Finally able to get cracking on one of many winter projects. I have always planned on putting my Typhon in a mustang body that looks like my 2010 super charged GT. Delta Plastik 2mm mustang body was in stock a few weeks back and I pulled the trigger.

I've order numerous parts from Mugen and EMP and hopefully will get her going by Christmas. I will either be running a 1717 1650KV castle or a TP 4060 1750KV. This is going to be on the overkill side as I plan to run it on 6s and 8s!
I've got more trimming to do on the body, but this is where I am now.
20201122_101147.jpg
20201122_101210.jpg

Finally able to get cracking on one of many winter projects. I have always planned on putting my Typhon in a mustang body that looks like my 2010 super charged GT. Delta Plastik 2mm mustang body was in stock a few weeks back and I pulled the trigger.

I've order numerous parts from Mugen and EMP and hopefully will get her going by Christmas. I will either be running a 1717 1650KV castle or a TP 4060 1750KV. This is going to be on the overkill side as I plan to run it on 6s and 8s!
I've got more trimming to do on the body, but this is where I am now.
View attachment 110412View attachment 110413
Looks awesome but maybe use wide hexes in the rear or swap to Felony Hoons?

Looks awesome but maybe use wide hexes in the rear or swap to Felony Hoons?
I'm either going to use extended hexes or trim the body a little more. Another issue...err thing I've noticed is that the rear wheels have a decent amount of toe in. Im going to stay away from those odd size ass Felony tires. They look cool, but they're not worth having to re-gear the entire car.

I haven't mounted the body yet. It's being supported by the wheels. I thought about printing some nylon rear arms to straighten things back up. decisions decisionsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Last edited:
I'm either going to use extended hexes or trim the body a little more. Another issue...err thing I've noticed is that the rear wheels have a decent amount of toe in. Im going to stay away from those odd size ass Felony tires. They looks cool, but they're not worth having to re-gear the entire car.

I haven't mounted the body yet. It's being supported by the wheels. I thought about printing some nylon rear arms to straighten things back up. decisions decisionsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
I’ve used these on my Typhon and haven’t had any issues so far. I have even bashed them with MT tires and no signs of damage yet.

17mm Hex Wheel Hubs Adapter Extensions (23mm) (Al.) w/Dust Cover for 1/8 RC Crawler (Red, Set of 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TXQ68MJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_eGKPZQptZilJO

Ended up with some 10mm extension for the rear. They fit and look a lot better. Now I need to determine how to attach the body, wait for my 1717 to arrive and go (that is a empty 1717 mockup motor).

Would attaching the body to four points along the side of the battery tray be sufficient? Alternatively im looking to velcro or neodymium magnets. I really do not want to put holes in this body.

This car is heavy as ____________
20201204_162354.jpg

Last edited:
Got the body mounted. I did end up drilling holes in the body instead of going with neodymium magnets and glue. I printed front and rear body mounts, body mount spacers, a antenna mount, and fan covers (got off Thingiverse). I'm reprinting the body mounts and fan covers now at a slower speed with surface layers and ironing now that I'm done test fitting. I need to drop the rear body height a few more millimeters (spacers). Outside of that, I am done.... Until I wreck it.....I think. Running the Castle 1717 1650KV motor. This is a replacement from Castle. I'm going to be running a 46T spur and a 27T pinion on 8s and 6S. Hopefully I'll be able to test it out Tuesday at the go-kart track or my little island filled paradise we use as a GT course. I'm really curious to see if these S4 tires will grip given the cold weather we have had over the last few days. 10k F / 100k C / 10k R fluids.

20201227_162538.jpg

20201227_162718.jpg

This is so freaking cool!. The posts don't look too bad, sometimes function has to come before beauty. Nice job on allt the printed parts.

Got her out for the first time today. I need the weather to warm up. Traction was terrible and this short wheelbase was all over the place. I also had a bit of cogging....... Which was very odd considering it is sensored. I'm going to drop it down from 27/46 to maybe 25/46 or even 23/46 and see how it goes. I probably won't be doing that until spring. I think the time has come for my road cars to sit and the off-road stuff to stretch their legs. The last few days of deer season are upon us, so I need to put some corn out and sit in a tree.

**edit: I went to swap out pinions and realized I am not running 27/46. Im actually running 23/46. This makes my cogging issue a little more troublesome. I may drive around the neighborhood tomorrow to see if I can figure out what is going on.
1609277515288.png

2020-12-27 (1).jpg

2020-12-27.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back