My Little Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riddle me this. That first graph indicates a two pole motor. I went into the castle logging software and entered my pinion/spur (29/34) 1650kv and 4 Poles. How do I set this thing up to give the most accurate results?

any thoughts?
The data is always raw. You then need to setup the software properly so it can interpret the raw data accurately.

The data is always raw. You then need to setup the software properly so it can interpret the raw data accurately.
I think I just did that. I uploaded the wrong pic. I just corrected it using information I entered. That put my rpm down in the 20s

Woke up early today......... i.e before noon. Went back out about 15 minutes ago fully charged 6s. First pass, GPS somehow turned itself off. Second pass same thing. I pulled the GPS batter cover off and stretched the springs / connectors for the battery and put them back in. 3rd pass recorded 89.4MPH 29/34. I attached a graph of my corrected (gear ratio). Switching to a 34t pinion and going to try it again. Lets see what kind of a difference 5 teeth make.

15 AUGUST 6S 1717 1650KV 29 34 894MPH.jpg

15 AUGUST 2020 29 34 6S 1717 1650KV 89mph.jpg

Last edited:
Ran back out a few minutes ago with the 34/34 combo. The car looks faster but I'm now experiencing GPS issues. Still intermittent on and off. I've got another Garmin around here somewhere. Last run I managed to get the GPS to stay on an got a new PB of 94.9MPH!!! Up from 93.7 but nowhere close to where I want to be. I believe it's faster than 94.9 currently, but until I find this other gps or buy one I might be down for a bit. I believe I can probably get all the way on it little earlier; but, I cannot stress how smooth runs are going as I'm currently driving. It's like pushing a matchbox car around with my fingers or a slot car. It just goeeeeeeeeeeeees straight!!

This slower KV motor is going to require a big ass pinion I do believe. Again I'm not convinced I've gotten all I can get out of 34/34 and without a 100% functioning gps I wont know. I'll see if I can find it today, if not I'll just order one.
NEWPB949.jpg
15 august 2020 34 34 1717 1650kv 949mph new PB.jpg

Anyone with experience with the skyrc gps module / phone app for android please let me know your thoughts.

EDIT: 330PM GPS IS NO MORE!! No clue on speed, just a log. I'm going to research GPS units now. This thing is MOVING!!! I just can't tell how fast. 812 corrected 34/34 ratio in castle software to accurately reflect rpm in the last run when I gave up on gps.

15 AUGUST 2020 34 34 1717 1650KV GPS FAILURE - FINAL RUN no clue on speed corrected.jpg

Last edited:
Ran back out a few minutes ago with the 34/34 combo. The car looks faster but I'm now experiencing GPS issues. Still intermittent on and off. I've got another Garmin around here somewhere. Last run I managed to get the GPS to stay on an got a new PB of 94.9MPH!!! Up from 93.7 but nowhere close to where I want to be. I believe it's faster than 94.9 currently, but until I find this other gps or buy one I might be down for a bit. I believe I can probably get all the way on it little earlier; but, I cannot stress how smooth runs are going as I'm currently driving. It's like pushing a matchbox car around with my fingers or a slot car. It just goeeeeeeeeeeeees straight!!

This slower KV motor is going to require a big ass pinion I do believe. Again I'm not convinced I've gotten all I can get out of 34/34 and without a 100% functioning gps I wont know. I'll see if I can find it today, if not I'll just order one. View attachment 94579View attachment 94581

Anyone with experience with the skyrc gps module / phone app for android please let me know your thoughts.

EDIT: 330PM GPS IS NO MORE!! No clue on speed, just a log. I'm going to research GPS units now. This thing is MOVING!!! I just can't tell how fast. View attachment 94592
Get the GSM-020 as its by far the best bang for the buck. The app is the same on both Apple and Android. It works well. Only thing you have to know is turn it on first thing you do when getting set up for a pass. It takes a minute to grab sats. I usually turn it on as I arrive to my road and then by the time I have my GoPro on, radio on, lipos connected and car on, put the lid on, etc, it has 12 sats locked in and ready to go.

Ordered from RCJUICE! I just bought a new phone after losing my last one. That phone served me very well. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this but prior to me losing it I'd been rocking the same phone for 7 years! I was forced kinda sorta a little bit into buying a G10 because that is what best buy had in stock. 700 dollars for a telephone. I'm hoping this app makes me use it more because right now I feel like I could have bought a lot of something else with that money!! It does look cool when I see phillip whip his phone out of his pocket with another astronomical speed!

My GSM020 showed up today! I've been itching to get out and play. Took a piece of 6mm carbon fiber and cut a rectangle out of it to mount my receiver on top of as well as the gps module. New PB on 4S! 85mph back to back. I was shocked. VERY. I hit 94.9 on 29/34 on 6s. I'm really thinking that where I have been running is not long enough. Additionally I have discovered dips at both my launch and stop points. In fact, I went airborne around 35 mph and cart wheeled while I was goofing off at the end. During my week of down time, I've adjusted the MMX8S settings to give a 3.2lvc as well as 100% brakes (currently adjusted to 60% on tx). Switched from a 29/34 to a 34/29 gears. Nothing got even warm.
21 AUGUST 2020 34P 29S 1717 1650KV 4S Turnigy Graphene.jpg
B2BSRNS2182020.jpg

20200821_151708.jpg

My GSM020 showed up today! I've been itching to get out and play. Took a piece of 6mm carbon fiber and cut a rectangle out of it to mount my receiver on top of as well as the gps module. New PB on 4S! 85mph back to back. I was shocked. VERY. I hit 94.9 on 29/34 on 6s. I'm really thinking that where I have been running is not long enough. Additionally I have discovered dips at both my launch and stop points. In fact, I went airborne around 35 mph and cart wheeled while I was goofing off at the end. During my week of down time, I've adjusted the MMX8S settings to give a 3.2lvc as well as 100% brakes (currently adjusted to 60% on tx). Switched from a 29/34 to a 34/29 gears. Nothing got even warm. View attachment 95656View attachment 95659

View attachment 95655
Dang you gotta feed that 1717 ????

Now that I've hit triple digits I put the 1717 in the car I bought it for ("Limited.") I put the 2050 back in the Typhon yesterday afternoon. I found a fantastic spot this morning and I won't have to worry about any cars. I think my goal now is to try to blow it up while keeping my car in one piece!

Got out a little while ago and was able to run wide open for about 5 seconds on 4 separate passes. Spaced out long enough for the motor to get back down to right around 100. Highest temp using a Raytek IR gun on the motor was 148*. 101, 102, 100, 100

I made two passes on 4s also. I tend to do this when I switch gearing or do major work on the car. There's something comforting knowing that I would have to try very hard or an unfortunate set of events would have to occur for me to put that in ground. 4S passes were 79/79.

I'm going to do a pinion swap and then head back out.

23 AUGUST 2020 29 34 6S GENS ACE 101 MPH 5SEC.jpg

20200823_152117.jpg

Congrats on the triple digits!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!! It's one thing running a ducted fan or even a prop plane that you know is going to go over 100. It's a completely difference experience doing that in something on the ground. I'd be a liar if I said my eyes didn't start watering when I checked the GPS. Dang allegeries;)

I ran back out after a pinion swap and was able to pull 105,107,106. Looking at my logs, I see that my gensacearespammers 50c 6s is getting pulled below the LVC which is set at 3.2V trying to accomplish that. I've got 2 Graphene Turnigy 6S packs, but I cannot bring myself to cut my battery tray. Not yet anyway. Let me get more of the "speed crack" into my system, and I may.

*corrected gear ratio

23 August 2020 105 107 106 6s gensacearespammers BLX 2050 3434.jpg

Last edited:
THANK YOU!!!!! It's one thing running a ducted fan or even a prop plane that you know is going to go over 100. It's a completely difference experience doing that in something on the ground. I'd be a liar if I said my eyes didn't start watering when I checked the GPS. Dang allegeries;)

I ran back out after a pinion swap and was able to pull 105,107,106. Looking at my logs, I see that my gensacearespammers 50c 6s is getting pulled below the LVC which is set at 3.2V trying to accomplish that. I've got 2 Graphene Turnigy 6S packs, but I cannot bring myself to cut my battery tray. Not yet anyway. Let me get more of the "speed crack" into my system, and I may.

View attachment 96048
Why do you have to cut your tray? I use my TGP 5.0 6S pack in my Typhons ??‍♂️

Why do you have to cut your tray? I use my TGP 5.0 6S pack in my Typhons ??‍♂️
They are the 6000mah packs that I bought for the "Limited." Will a single 5000MAH fit if I lay it on the side? I have to lay my 4s 5000 over in order to get it to fit. If so I'll go ahead and sign up for a in stock alert from HK.

They are the 6000mah packs that I bought for the "Limited." Will a single 5000MAH fit if I lay it on the side? I have to lay my 4s 5000 over in order to get it to fit. If so I'll go ahead and sign up for a in stock alert from HK.
I fit a 5.0 with the label up. Same for the 4S 5.0. It’s a little snug but they fit.

This 4s is definitely snug! I'll grab one when they come back in stock. I'm not sure why I thought they wouldn't fit. Much appreciated!
I was told they didn’t fit too. Barely takes a little persuading is all. No mods needed. It does stretch the sides of the tray, but I have t had a single issue yet and I have ran them 50 times or so and bashed them hard as well as crashed well over 100mph.

While I'm waiting for Hobby kIng to restock the 5.0 Graphenes, I ordered a CNHL G+ 5000 pack 6s. I'm curious about this battery. I've heard very thing goods about it. I'm also mad now. I'm REALLY contemplated running dual 4s packs in my limitless. Are they worth a crap? I can pick up 2 of the 4s packs 5000mah G+ for 99 bucks. Free shipping. No Tax. Too good to be true.. I looked at that battery chart a couple of times, but I may have been slightly imbibed by that point and I couldn't stay focused!

Over the last couple of days I ordered myself some new gearing. I'm waiting for HK to restock the 5.0 Graphene, and my original plan was to shelve the car until that happened. I just couldn't do it. I can see in my logs where I'm getting huge voltage sags running the gensacearespammers 6s and I wanted to see how much of a difference the battery iteself makes with the same gearing. I'm keeping my logs and naming them appropriately, so I will hopefully see what a difference that makes with I can get my hands on a 5.0.

I went out the other day on 4S Turnigy Graphene and was just running laps up and down my street. Motor got a bit warm so I let it sit for a few minutes to cool. When I came back in the car wreaked of heat. I noticed that the ESC fan wasn't spinning. I ended up taking the fan off and 2 blades were broken. The fan motor was blazing but spun freely once removed from the esc. The log from that romp had the esc at 188 degrees. Looking at the graph where there are consistent activity in voltage, I'm wondering if the fan being stuck was causing the spikes since the car wasn't moving during that time?

FAN FAILUREDATALOG.jpg

While I'm waiting to hear back from Castle, I ordered some get here the next day 40mm fans off Amazon. Nothing fanstastic. I mounted it on the esc this time spacing the top fan cover with fuel tubing and went out for a run. I wanted to see what the esc temp was going to be like with these fans and also I just wanted to get outside and do something. Again with the 4S Turnigy Graphene 1:1 ratio I managed 86, 85, no read, 85. Voltage never once sagged below LVC and the only thing that got hot was the motor. I checked motor temps after each run. After the 4th romp the highest I could get anywhere on the motor was 153. I am running a single yeah racing fan on the motor.

Now I just wait on new gears and batteries. Sagacustoms order should be in tomorrow!
30 AUGUST 2020 34 34 2050 BLX 4S GRAPHENE 86 85 ERR 85 MPH (4) runs Typhon.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back