My Little Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay! Saga gears showed up today but so did a pair of 4s 5000 70c CNHL batteries my Limited project. Just for S&Gs I'm charging them both and I'm going to do the same "hopefully" 4 passes on the first battery as I did in the post above. The same with the second tomorrow. Front that point forward they are both dedicated to the other project. I just want to see if I notice anything spectacular. That and I don't have the time to let it cool down as it looks like the sky is about to fall out. On that note... I'll be back.

20200831_152314.jpg

20200831_164451.jpg

***updated below**

86, 87,86,85. I did them relatively quick as the sky was about to fall. It began to rain literally as I was packing up! I was checking the motor temps in between sprints. After the 4th pass, the motor temp was 142* All 4 cells were at 3.95 when I checked resistance, and voltage again at the end. As luck would have it, this is the pack with matching resistance in the cells.

This was done just out of my own curiosity, I am aware that my Turnigy 4S pack has 11 runs on it / cycles.
4S CNHLPACK1 4 RUNS 31 AUGUST 2020.jpg

***edited to make comparison easier
TURNIGYVSCNHL PACK 1.jpg

Last edited:
It looked very overcast outside today, so I went back out on my lunch break to test out the second CNHL pack. 88,88,85,85 max motor temp was 132*. I will have to say it was about 14 degrees warmer yesterday than it was this morning. Out side of that I ran 4 identical passes in the same exact location. I'll spend some time this evening comparing the 3 logs just to see what I can see. As for now, these 2 CNHLs are being storage charged and set aside until I'm ready for my other project to hit the road.

Timing was perfect! Upon inspection of my tires, I have (3) GRP S7 that have belts showing through the tread!!! These tires will now be retired to parking lot duty until they blow out. Speeds should be 40 or less. I'll take a blow out at 40 in a parking lot vs 1*** on a road any day.

Where does everyone buy GRP tires besides Hobbyheroes? With the temperatures beginning to drop because summer is on its way out (thank you thank you thank you) I'll need softer compound tires. Central NC. S3 OR S4?

1 SEPTEMBER 2020 34 34 BLX 2050 88 88 85 85 TYPHON 4S CNHL G PLUS PACK 2 MTR TEMP 132.jpg

Did a quick gear change and ran back out on 4S and 6S. 4S passes went off without a hitch. 92 91 89.

Ran back to the house and grabbed the 6s and tried again. I had to switch locations because the road I've been running on is covered by trees so the pavement wasn't that hot. Had a few issues gripping, so I switched packs, did a hellatious burn out and switched batteries back.

The highest speed I saw on the 6s passes was 94 and then something happened. It was still accelerating and BAM everything just quit. Still had steering and managed to keep in on one piece but the pinion came loose. I fixed that and tried again, but a luck would have it, it worked itself loose again, and then again and it buggered up my brand spanking new saga 27T pinion(spur). I'm probably going to order another, but I noticed on the graph the motor allegedly hit 56k rpm.. My gearing is correct in the castle software. I don't know if that RPM came when the pinion let loose but I think if it were spinning that fast and putting power to the ground 94 would be very disappointing.

Additionally, these gensacearespammers batteries are definitely not up to the challenge. Still waiting on my 6S CNHL and I don't think i'm going to wait on HK to restock. Hopefully that will be here by the end of the week. EVERY single pass I make with those batteries shows a huge voltage sag...

****edit*** that high rpm was on the last 6s run. It's almost as if you can visualize the pinion loosening because the rpms were skyrocketing compared to the pulls before. Also discovered it was moving 5mph faster than on previous 4s passes. About to place another saga gear order.

1 SEPTEMBER 2020 BLX 2050 4S TURNIGY GRAPHENE 32 27 92 91 89 MPH MTR 131 37340 RPM.jpg
1 SEPTEMBER 2020 32 27 BLX 2050 6S GENS ACE (OVER REV) 94MPH PINION CAME LOOSE.jpg

Last edited:
Where does everyone buy GRP tires besides Hobbyheroes? With the temperatures beginning to drop because summer is on its way out (thank you thank you thank you) I'll need softer compound tires. Central NC. S3 OR S4?
I just order mine from Power Hobby on Ebay; I can get a set of 4 for $39.00 + shipping and tax. Scary hearing about your belts showing! I'm glad you caught that before running again :)

They are a little rough. Those were the same S7s I'd been running since day one and that was about 3 months ago. It was time. One of the rears looks like it's trying to separate. Probably 40+ runs, some mixed street use and burnouts. The S4s will only see speed passes and hopefully no burnouts.....although in my defense most of them were to heat the tires up.....yeah...most........;)

20200902_184946.jpg

I just order mine from Power Hobby on Ebay; I can get a set of 4 for $39.00 + shipping and tax. Scary hearing about your belts showing! I'm glad you caught that before running again :)

Hey if you're a long standing eBay member check your messages. They just sent me a 25.00 coupon for "being with them since the beginning." I just picked up a set of s5 and s7 for 69.00 shipped!!!!

I'm itching to get out and see what these s4s I have mounted will do but it is 91 degrees outside!!!

Last edited:
Chnl will either be here Saturday or Tuesday. I ordered some Offshore Electronics 8mm no spark plugs. I'm going to change all the connectors on all my batteries and charger leads. Those things look beefy and when I see Raz connect his I hear / see no spark. My XT90 are leaving burn marks on the inside of the connectors from the sparks when I connect the juice.

CNHL 70C 6S showed up in addition to my new 27t Saga gear. Went out on 4s. No issues. Cooled down in the ac for 15 minutes. 71mph on 6s heard a crunch and my car veered off into the grass( god I love my new place). Gear stripped again. Took it home took the motor and diff out. The frigging end cap held on by 3 tiny arse screws had loosened up behind the mounting plate. I put RED lock locktite on it and torqued it down. Ill throw the motor in the trash if a bearing needs to be replaced. Gonna let it dry for a few hours and see what happen. 38.00 in gear destruction on my last two 6s passes. Now I believe I know why!
Hope everyone else is having better luck today!

CNHL 70C 6S showed up in addition to my new 27t Saga gear. Went out on 4s. No issues. Cooled down in the ac for 15 minutes. 71mph on 6s heard a crunch and my car veered off into the grass( god I love my new place). Gear stripped again. Took it home took the motor and diff out. The frigging end cap held on by 3 tiny arse screws had loosened up behind the mounting plate. I put RED lock locktite on it and torqued it down. Ill throw the motor in the trash if a bearing needs to be replaced. Gonna let it dry for a few hours and see what happen. 38.00 in gear destruction on my last two 6s passes. Now I believe I know why!
Hope everyone else is having better luck today!
Yep gotta turn every screw when playing in the 100mph+ range. If anything feels off, back out and inspect. Don’t finish a pass that doesn’t feel right.

Yep gotta turn every screw when playing in the 100mph+ range. If anything feels off, back out and inspect. Don’t finish a pass that doesn’t feel right.
I'm going over the whole car now checking screws. I hate red loctite but I keep a small torch handy. I'll try running again tomorrow after a good solid drying period. 27 is gone so I'm gonna run a 29t or a 25t spur and see what I can break tomorrow! Thanks for the tip @jondilly1974. Rpms looked promising with the 27.....

Got out earlier this morning. All bolts checked last night and loctited (red) metal to metal on everything including the pinion grub. 71 DEGREES IS TOO DANG COLD FOR S4 TIRES. Against my will I did a decent burnout prior to starting. The first two attempts ended in the car power sliding to the right. Brought it back, did another burn out and tried again. This time it was better but you could visibly see the tires spinning as it was moving up to the 80-90 mark. No issues holding it straight. Hit 111MPH. I'm not ready to count that as a PB because I honestly was not happy with the way I was running this am. Im not sure what the temperature is supposed to get up to today, but I will try again later this afternoon.
6 September 2020 BLX 2050 CNHL 6S G PLUS 111MPH RUN 3 HAD TRACTION ISSUES WITH S4 TIRES 71DEGR...jpg

Last edited:
Well well well. What a difference 11 degrees makes. Pavement temped at 99-102 depending upon where I hit it. I have a half way point where I'm either going to commit or quit. I had zero issues working up to my midway point and as I squeezed the trigger POP! I was unable to locate the missing section of tire. Zero damage to the car. 71 was what the GPS read as a max. All I have on hand are another pair of S4s and some white hoons. I've got more tires on order but they are both s5 and s7. decisions decisions... This CNHL definitely has a helluva lot more punch than these gensacearespammers tires I was running. I can't tell if I diffed out somehow or if a wheel lost contact and spun. The RPM on the graph looks normal.

20200906_155559.jpg
20200906_155554.jpg

Well well well. What a difference 11 degrees makes. Pavement temped at 99-102 depending upon where I hit it. I have a half way point where I'm either going to commit or quit. I had zero issues working up to my midway point and as I squeezed the trigger POP! I was unable to locate the missing section of tire. Zero damage to the car. 71 was what the GPS read as a max. All I have on hand are another pair of S4s and some white hoons. I've got more tires on order but they are both s5 and s7. decisions decisions... This CNHL definitely has a helluva lot more punch than these gensacearespammers tires I was running. I can't tell if I diffed out somehow or if a wheel lost contact and spun. The RPM on the graph looks normal.

View attachment 98720View attachment 98721
I believe all of my blow outs have been diff outs too. That’s why I’m going locked all around.

I believe all of my blow outs have been diff outs too. That’s why I’m going locked all around.
I'm about to pack my front and rear diff with Evinrude triple guard grease. Ive used it to all but lock diffs in other cars. It is THICK. Im only running 100f/100r currently

So I pulled the front and rear diffs. Honestly, first time I've done it in 3 months. Front diff looked beautiful, just dark. The rear diff.... Well... it looked VERY low on fluid and I personally filled it before I began running a few months ago. I'm now guessing that my traction issue I had this morning might have been due to excessive wheel spin. I've rectified that problem. I flushed both diffs and PACKED them FULL of this:
1599438532536.png

This stuff is beastly at all but locking differentials. I've used it in 1/5 scale and 1/10 scale vehicles with great success. It will definitely rob me of speed, but I feel confident it should work. If for some reason it doesn't, then I'm going to machine a spool for the front and rear diffs. I'm going to try tomorrow on 4S first then 6s again. I put these White Hoons that I took off my limitless up there. I'm curious as to how they "stick."

White Hoons are not that great. Maybe I need to get them hotter but there is very little tread on them. Made two sloppy passes both over 111 but still not happy with my tire grip. I'm going to take a break for a few days, maybe until the weekend and re-evaluate. My grease is doing its job so I'm ecstatic about that.

Random. Friend on mine needed money. I just picked this up rtr with the blx 185 esc/2050 motor and Tactic controller for $200bux. 3 sets of tires and a bunch of other stuff. ARRMA is apparently my life now.
20200907_140408.jpg

Blow outs and crashes stink. I hope there was no major damage. I can tell you I took the S1 compounds into the 120-130 range. Not sure if they will hold beyond that, but worked well for me. (also locked diffs on the Typhon.)
No damage other than the tire and it ripped the antenna off my receiver. My antenna pokes up through the roof. Ordered a new receiver. Not a bad day but still. I'm going to wait til my S7 compound shows up and burn ? til they stick and go.

No damage other than the tire and it ripped the antenna off my receiver. My antenna pokes up through the roof. Ordered a new receiver. Not a bad day but still. I'm going to wait til my S7 compound shows up and burn ? til they stick and go.
What rx are you running? Is the antenna replaceable? Futaba antennas usually are snap on.

I'm only running a Spektrum SR215. They cost like 29 bucks. Never had a range issue well out to 1600ft and back. Im going to see if spektrum sells a replacement antenna, if not I'll throw it in a crawler that im never more than 20Ft from.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back